Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It was thirty years ago today...

...that, on 3rd May 1990, The Valley Party contested the local government elections in Greenwich Borough. It did not win any seats - that was not the aim - but secured 14,838 votes and generated positive and wide-ranging publicity.

The campaign was a joint effort, but special mention should be made for @Algarveaddick, the Party's Electoral Agent, and @PragueAddick, who was key in arranging the splendid 'Vote Valley' posters which appeared around the Borough.

Valley Party candidates - I was one - shall never forget the excitement of the campaign and, especially, the count at Woolwich Town Hall. The place was full of Addicks and it was a 'quite a do'.

Our success was instrumental in paving the way for what, in time, would be a joyous return to SE7.

In writing this, I remember my fellow candidates who are no longer with us, the jolly Kevin Fox among them. 

We face troubled times at present, but we have our history and it is one of which we can be proud. Thirty years ago, we stood tall and we won the day. We can do so again.

Comments

• Options
    Never forget. 
  • Options
    I remember tv or newspapers digging someone out who lived in Floyd road that objected to our return. We lived in a council property off Victoria way so my good lady marched the children down to her house and offered to do an exchange of properties, turned out it was all cr@p and she was paid for time. £25 I believe..... 
  • Options
    A truly magnificent part of our history. The advertising was absolutely immense.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I remember tv or newspapers digging someone out who lived in Floyd road that objected to our return. We lived in a council property off Victoria way so my good lady marched the children down to her house and offered to do an exchange of properties, turned out it was all cr@p and she was paid for time. £25 I believe..... 
    There is certainly a woman in the Thames report who might appear to fit that description, however, there was indeed a very vocal group of NIMBYs, and she was one of them. I can't rememeber the leader's name, Andrew something. It's all in @Airman Brown "Battle for the Valley".
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    There is certainly a woman in the Thames report who might appear to fit that description, however, there was indeed a very vocal group of NIMBYs, and she was one of them. I can't rememeber the leader's name, Andrew something. It's all in @Airman Brown "Battle for the Valley".
    Andrew Marsh and Gracie Sole were the main 2.
  • Options
    Kevin Fox had said that, had he just push it alittle bit more he thinks he could have got the seat for the Valley Party. Early that evening we had met up at his house and before going down to the Town Hall we went for a quick drink in the White Hart Eltham. Never forget that night we gave the council one big shock or 14838 of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only had the pleasure of meeting Kevin once or twice but consider myself fortunate to have become, through cricket, a friend of his son, David. The actions of Kevin and those who stood with, behind and by him and aided that fight will never be forgotten.
  • Options
    Jeez, completely failed to notice this, as I failed to notice the footie season would have ended yesterday. What to say that hasn't been written before? Well here's something...not exactly a regret, but  a "what if"...

Kevin Fox was our most high profile candidate, (although not officially "Leader", that was Barry Nugent) and was up in Sherard ward against Quentin Marsh, the Council Leader. It had never been the VP's goal to try and win seats, we deliberately did not have a full political programme. But Kevin grew into his role, and was prominently featured in Thames TV's doc on the campaign. They had shot it 4 weeks earlier but broadcast it just two days before the vote. We had no idea in advance how it would look for us. Well, see for yourself :-)

Anyway, we at least decided to give it a go in Sherard and make sure Kevin got a decent vote. So on election day for the first time in my life, I went canvassing. I had no idea what to expect but mainly I expected slammed doors or a pretty tough dialogue. But what I got, house after house, was "Valley Party? Sure, we're voting for you lot". 

At the count, I remember that we could get some word of how the count was going, and at one point Labour were getting seriously worried about Sherard. In the end it didn't need a re-count, as I recall but Kevin gave Quentin Marsh a right scare. And so, I just wonder, suppose we had believed just a bit more, and really flooded Sherard with canvassers...it could have been "Greenwich Council leader loses seat in Valley Party sensation...". But then of course you get on to what would Councillor Fox have actually done with his position?

But it doesn't matter. We deposed Simon Oelman, the main political villain, and that was a delicious moment, and the Council caved in next day. It was as @Anna_Kissed says, a night, and a few months, all of us involved will treasure along with Wembley 1998/2019. 
    Thanks for the video link - I haven't seen that since 1990. I was too young to vote but had the posters in the window and got both my parents to vote Valley Party.

Quentin Marsh was still playing politics 20 years later 

Charlton ward Labour leaflet delivered 3 May 2010

Well done to all that took part - forever grateful...