Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Games with less than 45 mins per half

Latest Bonkers idea by Gordon Taylor - PFA chair
What a Wanker

Comments

• I don't understand the logic behind it, let alone the ramifications for a competition where the rules change 2/3 of the way through... 
  • edited May 2020
    Wont players will still need the same sort of recovery period between matches?

If a player knows they only have to play for 20-mins rather than 45-mins they wont have to run around for as long but they'll surely use more energy?

i.e. If I were to run a Marathon compared to a 5k I'd have to manage my miles better with the former because I'm out running for longer

Not to mention it only needs a second to catch the virus

Edit: He's also forgetting that any rule changes have to happen prior to a season commencing
  • Maybe also change the rules so you have to always be 2 meters away from any other player
  • At least Millwall won’t beat us in the ninety something minute again.
  • A cynic would wonder if Taylor is attempting to appear relevant. Is there a PFA election soon? Does the outcome threaten his job?
  • Ah, so you can change competition rules half way through a season... if it suits and there's enough money to be made 
  • Chunes said:
    Maybe also change the rules so you have to always be 2 meters away from any other player
    Some of our defenders were already doing that pre-coronavirus.

• I'm sure there was a stat that in matches the ball is in play for something like 60 minutes on average.

So if we have matches of say 60 minutes (30 mins a half) how low will that go to? 40 minutes? Less?

• Ross said:

I'm sure there was a stat that in matches the ball is in play for something like 60 minutes on average.

So if we have matches of say 60 minutes (30 mins a half) how low will that go to? 40 minutes? Less?

There's an idea. Put barriers up so the ball can't go out of play. 
  • Chunes said:
    Ross said:

I'm sure there was a stat that in matches the ball is in play for something like 60 minutes on average.

There's an idea. Put barriers up so the ball can't go out of play. 
    if they just played a five a side tournament to settle it all it would mean exposing less players, officials etc and make for good TV.
  • Sponsored links:

• All of a sudden, penalty shoot outs doesn't seem such a crazy idea after all. 
  • Reduce wages in direct proportion to the number of minutes knocked off the 90. Then they might think twice!
  • 5 a side on a full sized pitch, 20 mins per half .. loads of space for social distancing, not too long to be boring with no spectators .. players can rotate over a few games so no need for 'peak fitness', three games a week  and there will be some kind of closure to the season, albeit not a very satisfactory one ((:>)
  • Nonsense. If you have to go to these sorts of lengths then, really, you shouldn’t be playing at all.
  • It must be time to think about doubling the width of the goals to compensate for the lack of goals in a shortened game. I also wonder whether breaking the pitch down into 24 squares in a 6 X 4 matrix would help. It would mean that players and the referee can socially distance while playing if they each occupy one of the squares. Managers could negotiate square transfers if they want to attack or defend more. With 22 players and the ref occupying 23 of the squares, this would also leave one square for a streaker or pitch invader.
  • It is going to be interesting to see what happens in Germany. With some of their players already proving positive, the issue with starting too early is being evidenced. You would expect the German government to intervene. If they can't start the German leagues, they can't start here. 
  • One idea I had a while ago was that half the match would be played by the men's team and half by the women's team, and the aggregate score would be the final score, but we'll save that one for the 22nd century I think ;)
  • Leuth said:
    One idea I had a while ago was that half the match would be played by the men's team and half by the women's team, and the aggregate score would be the final score, but we'll save that one for the 22nd century I think ;)
    Do we have to co-ordinate with the other team which side plays in which half? 
  • Could be done with a coin-flip and then one team gets to choose! It is an outlandish idea obviously but it would at least get women's football taken extremely seriously extremely quickly. And there'd be fewer injuries. One for the post-apocalypse though as I say
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Could be done with a coin-flip and then one team gets to choose! It is an outlandish idea obviously but it would at least get women's football taken extremely seriously extremely quickly. And there'd be fewer injuries. One for the post-apocalypse though as I say
    I mean, having gender defined teams at all seems very sexist to me, but I guess I’m just a more liberal type of guy. 
  • Mods, can we have an 'I see what you did there' button installed? :D
  • Football is intellectually and morally bankrupt.

• shine166 said:
    All of a sudden, penalty shoot outs doesn't seem such a crazy idea after all. 
    Like everything I suggest. They laughed at me when I rang up 606 with this idea, and then later they were talking it.
  • se9addick said:
    Leuth said:
    One idea I had a while ago was that half the match would be played by the men's team and half by the women's team, and the aggregate score would be the final score, but we'll save that one for the 22nd century I think ;)
    Do we have to co-ordinate with the other team which side plays in which half? 
    If not, there could be sex on the halfway line again.