Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Facebook

I have an idea that I may have ask this question before,if so apologies. I am thinking of joining Facebook so just how safe is it and what should I be carefull with.

Comments

• Options
    Safety I’m not really sure about I’ve had photos of our dogs entered into competitions with people claiming to own our dogs, but one thing I have found some people think they know you equally as well as real life friends or family, I’ve had many a pm from people I’ve never met saying “we’ve been friends for many years” purely because fb uses the the term “Friends” I’ve also met some fantastic people through fb but also my share of odd ones. I always check out people that send friend requests if I don’t know them, cafc world, Shep world, therapy dog world or they don’t come in. If you don’t want it known don’t put it out would be the best advice I could give. 
  • Options
    Just make sure your privacy settings are set really high and you should be ok. 
  • Options
    Don’t do it, phone a friend instead.
  • Options
    Facebook is fine

It's great at getting in touch with people you haven't seen for years, but aren't that bothered about actually meeting properly in person   :D
  • Options
    I doubt facebook comes for free even if there is no cost demanded.
  • Options
    Just post your dinner pictures on here

Am sure people wont judge them ;) 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's perfectly safe, just keep it to close friends and family only and you won't have any issues. 
    And no dick pics. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Facebook- You can run but you can't hide!
  • Options
    People might tell you that Facebook own any image you post, but I believe that isn't true.
    It's good to be aware though that your images can easily be copied and used, for example, in a Uzbekistani advert for male impotence or whatever. It doesn't stop most people, but you might want to just consider what you are posting.

Many employers routinely check Facebook profiles, sometimes their friends, I believe.
  • Options
    As others have said restrict your profile settings as to how you want it. You can share the bare minimum information, certainly on your 'public' profile that anyone can see.

I dont really use it that much anymore. A lot of my feed these days is full of crap posted by people. I choose to ignore most of it. Those people that post garbage all the time usually get snoozed or unfollowed and it's quite nice to have a cull of people from time to time.  Some of the people you have as friends you have a tenuous link to at best and if you cannot be sure you know someone stay safe and don't accept their friend requests.
  • Options
    Take out of it what you want; you can sit on there all day looking at the bollocks people come out with, telling you how their life is perfect, or you can use it to keep in touch with family and friends, meet people with similar interest who you wouldn't have met otherwise and things like, and everything in between
  • Options
    The question is, why do you want to join it?

I’ve never bothered because I can’t see any way it would improve my ‘online’ life. 

Having said that, obviously many love it. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    The question is, why do you want to join it?

I’ve never bothered because I can’t see any way it would improve my ‘online’ life. 

Having said that, obviously many love it. 
    I joined originally to keep in touch with my dogs breeder, we originally all had membership of a Shep forum a sort of ShepLife and we all moved across when FB started. Since then I’ve met some fantastic people physically as well just spoke to on FB, many a letter of support/help when my dog was ill as well as legal advice when we sued the vet. We keep in touch with many care homes especially now, as well as individuals we visited, we currently FaceTime our dogs at home for school children at home or priority schooling. One of my dogs is with someone we’d only ever spoken on FB I’d never them met until 12 weeks ago when I turned up at her house with JJ told me when I asked how much has his board/loadging/training cost me told me, call it a favour. I estimate the cost to be around 3k.  Love it, not really but it’s a means of keeping in touch with likeminded people with the odd loony thrown in, no different to any forum or other platform. 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    People might tell you that Facebook own any image you post, but I believe that isn't true.
    It's good to be aware though that your images can easily be copied and used, for example, in a Uzbekistani advert for male impotence or whatever. It doesn't stop most people, but you might want to just consider what you are posting.

Many employers routinely check Facebook profiles, sometimes their friends, I believe.
    This could only occur if your profile is set to open, from a data security perspective you should always max out privacy settings.
  • Options
    Don't do it mate, you've managed so far without it and its full of nobody's who think there somebody...
  • Options
    Don't do it mate, you've managed so far without it and its full of nobody's who think there somebody...
    I’ve never had Facebook either but was also considering it due to lockdown .
    i am nobody but should b somebody so I guess I should join or is it now at a point where it’s “cool” to have never had one & therefore I am someone or am I just someone that’s had one to many therefore a nobody ? 
    Hmmm time for bed me thinks 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weird.

I only have family and friends on there and have no such issues.

It's how you use it and who you add or delete that defines your experience of it.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Weird.

I only have family and friends on there and have no such issues.

It's how you use it and who you add or delete that defines your experience of it.
    Not weird at all full of useless adverts, checks where you have been online and lets be frank who wants to know if you have been to tescos, the pub or wants to see the odd holiday snap. 

You can keep in keep in touch with family, friends with a device called a phone or apparently now a thing called an Email. Whenever I am out in a group most people are on the phone face booking...That's just my experience...
  • Options
    If you live in a fantasy world, people soon suss you out. That's why it isn't good for some people. If you set your privacy settings to "let the world see whatever they want" like I do, you can get weirdos stalking you, but that's up to you - you can make it so almost no-one can see you are there, but as far as I am concerned, that defeats the object, it's "social" media. As others have said, you choose your settings and you choose your "friends".

If you have any kind of internet profile, a mobile phone or a bank card  "big brother is watching you" anyway, so I don't let that bother me either.      
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:
    I have an idea that I may have ask this question before,if so apologies. I am thinking of joining Facebook so just how safe is it and what should I be carefull with.
    My advice would be to only befriend people on Facebook who you are actually friends with in real life. Making Facebook friends with people you don’t know is a generally a bad idea. 
    It’s basically a good way to stay in touch with friends and family imho. Sharing photos etc. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Derek1952 said:
    My advice would be to only befriend people on Facebook who you are actually friends with in real life. Making Facebook friends with people you don’t know is a generally a bad idea. 
    It’s basically a good way to stay in touch with friends and family imho. Sharing photos etc. 
    What he said.

Like everything there are pros and cons.

Don't believe everything you read on it, just connect with people you know and it can be a good way to stay in touch.  Must admit I don't use it very much these days but it has its uses.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    There really is no harm joining with an email address, privacy settings to the max and having a look. Don't post anything until you are comfortable with how it works and how much you want share.

Can always delete your account if you don't like it, and you've got no more data out there than thats probably already available to someone looking hard enough. Including what you post on here.

I suspect, if you have a mainstream email address (Google and the like) you're already sharing more data online than you think.
  • Options
    I started a twitter account to have a look at some of the southall/nimer stuff & have been mulling over my 1st tweet since I’ve no idea what to tweet ! I guess that means I have nothing of interest to put out there so will probably delete the app
  • Options
    Just off to the chippy....so you all know....house is empty ..... pass a few empty shops and pose a few selfies as I do....bet you can't wait for the results...
  • Options
    Mrs spitfire is 12 years younger than me & is a lot more up 2 speed with social media than me & she says I’m too argumentative for social media I argued I’m not so guess I lost the argument!