Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cover to Cover: Love will tear us apart

Comments

• Options
    I prefer the Paul Young version.
  • Options
    Saw Joy Division play it live three times. Unbeatable.
  • Options
    What about Say Hello To Heaven?

https://youtu.be/SXOzGY46In0
  • Options
    This is the real cover of the song from Susanna and the Magic Orchestra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHhVydgvuAc
  • Options
    Unsurprising response but the new version won on Radio London which did shock me.

Great chorus but on the original the drum sound is horrible, the singers voice is buried in the mix, not that I like his voice, and you can't hear the words.

And the cover really isn't Waitrose Xmas.  There's more to it than that. 
    If you love music you're not generally going to be listening to Radio London (you apart).
  • Options
    Unsurprising response but the new version won on Radio London which did shock me.

Great chorus but on the original the drum sound is horrible, the singers voice is buried in the mix, not that I like his voice, and you can't hear the words.

If you love music you're not generally going to be listening to Radio London (you apart).
    Disagree. Robert Elms plays some great and varied stuff. And some jazz but you can't have everything.

Radio 6 too samey, radio 2, I'm not that old.
  • Options
    PS and the name Joy Division is very dodgy too.
    Maybe they chose that name to shock, that's what youngsters do :smile: like the ex royal bloke dressing in an SS uniform for a party. Having said that I doubt the general public had the faintest idea on Joy Division
    They used to attract a dodgy crowd, likewise when they were called Warsaw. 

Another vote for Joy Division, seems only the OP doesn't like them.
    Not Joy Division for me. I think it’s dreadful.
    Ive always found music snobs get really aggressively upset when someone says they don’t like this song. “You don’t have any taste” “You don’t know music” etc. Piss off. I have my own opinion. I’ve never seen what’s supposed to be so good about it. There’s some interesting stuff in there, but it’s overshadowed by the dreary singing and other noises. Maybe I’m not appreciating some subtle nuances, but I don’t care, I still think it’s shit. And I’m pretty sure a lot of people think it’s good because they think they ‘should’ think it’s good.

Having said all that, if you like it - good for you.
    😎👍🏼
    Stick to Abba :-)
  • Options

Disagree. Robert Elms plays some great and varied stuff. And some jazz but you can't have everything.

I prefer Absolute or Radio X.
    Although generally listen to my own stuff on you tube.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    This is the real cover of the song from Susanna and the Magic Orchestra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHhVydgvuAc
    You might like this The Swans (Jarboe) Black version
           https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMwNYyXDn1E
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So I think Joy Division just about edged that vote.

Next up Led Zeppelin v Rolf Harris doing Stairway to Heaven 🤔
    Followed by Katie Melua vs Litttle Richard doing Tutti Frutti  :D
  • Options
    Saw Joy Division play it live three times. Unbeatable.

I saw them twice - Apparently it's sacrilege to say it, but one of the few bands I preferred recorded to live performance. In my opinion both albums and all their singles were so well produced that they could never be reproduced effectively live. That said Love Will Tear Us Apart sounded great live.
  • Options

Can't beat the Pat Boone version.

It really is so bad nothing can beat it.
  • Options

Or Frank Sinatra fucking about with this classic .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcIxxP_pOSc

"You stick around, Jack ....."
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Or Frank Sinatra fucking about with this classic .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcIxxP_pOSc

If the Sex Pistols can do My Way, perhaps Frank should have covered Anarchy in the UK
  • Options
    Such an inventive composition...
    For some reason it brings back to me the movie
    'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'.
    Why it never had a sequel 
  • Options
    Maybe they chose that name to shock, that's what youngsters do :smile: like the ex royal bloke dressing in an SS uniform for a party. Having said that I doubt the general public had the faintest idea on Joy Division

Ive always found music snobs get really aggressively upset when someone says they don’t like this song. “You don’t have any taste” “You don’t know music” etc. Piss off. I have my own opinion. I’ve never seen what’s supposed to be so good about it. There’s some interesting stuff in there, but it’s overshadowed by the dreary singing and other noises. Maybe I’m not appreciating some subtle nuances, but I don’t care, I still think it’s shit. And I’m pretty sure a lot of people think it’s good because they think they ‘should’ think it’s good.

😎👍🏼
      :D
    I know you’re making a joke, but this is a (very mild) version of the typical music snob reactions mentioned.
    “You must have no taste, I bet you like Abba/Take That/Spice Girls/*Any band that popular opinion tells me is shit although I secretly like some of their stuff but can’t admit it*”
    My music tastes are diverse. I like what I find enjoyable. I don’t rate Joy Division much. It’s just a different view to yours, nothing more, nothing less.
    🙂

*I’m not saying this bit is you, by the way. I just suspect it’s true for a lot of people.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

If the Sex Pistols can do My Way, perhaps Frank should have covered Anarchy in the UK
    Ahhh Sid and My Way ... I quite enjoyed that one, especially the video
  • Options
    Joy Division. NP cover was better than I was expecting. One of those songs I don't think people should cover (yes Paul Young,looking at you). 
    I only catch Robert Elms show occasionally but I do like it. He's a fan of music and so is his audience. I've discovered quite a few things from catching it - he's not afraid to play stuff wider than most mainstream radio presenters, mixing up soul, reggae, country and rock 'n' roll. A lot of the audience are ageing soul boys who didn't like Joy Division in 1981, so I'm not at all surprised that NP's version was more popular. 
  • Options

Jeez, even that song title sounds sinister now in the light of the Harris revelations.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Stig said:

Jeez, even that song title sounds sinister now in the light of the Harris revelations.
    What do you make of "Two little boys" then ?
  • Options

😎👍🏼
    I know you’re making a joke, but this is a (very mild) version of the typical music snob reactions mentioned.
    “You must have no taste, I bet you like Abba/Take That/Spice Girls/*Any band that popular opinion tells me is shit although I secretly like some of their stuff but can’t admit it*”
    My music tastes are diverse. I like what I find enjoyable. I don’t rate Joy Division much. It’s just a different view to yours, nothing more, nothing less.
    🙂

*I’m not saying this bit is you, by the way. I just suspect it’s true for a lot of people.
    Some of this is true about people needing to be told what and what not to like. But surely you can understand why many people hate bands like Abba and don’t need to be told that?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Off_it said:

Ahhh Sid and My Way ... I quite enjoyed that one, especially the video
    Don't remember where, but first I saw that video was in a museum, and only saw the shooting bit. Though it was real for ages! Vicious by nature!

Back to covers, Rolf Harris' Stairway to Heaven wasn't great, but his Bohemian rhapsody was definitive:

https://youtu.be/8m0r6V9aXEY
  • Options
    Stig said:

What do you make of "Two little boys" then ?
    I reckon they’ve got two little toys mate. 
  • Options

😎👍🏼
    🙂

To be fair it probably is me, but having said that I'm generally seen as the weirdo liking Indie music & rock & previously punk.

If you talk to the average person about Stone Roses or The Smiths they wouldn't have a clue, but Abba or Take That would be much more well known.
  • Options
    Joy Division.

That cover version is awful.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Jesus wept I hadn’t summoned up the energy to listen to it before it truly is dire.
  • Options
    Jesus wept I hadn’t summoned up the energy to listen to it before it truly is dire.
    Same here. Just listened.

As I suspected though, it's just another in a long line of songs that have been "reinvented" by slowing and stripping them down and putting a dire, weak (normally female), vocal over the top that all sounds a bit insipid whilst trying to sound "vulnerable". Totally contrived. Totally shit.
  • Options

Oh yes you are...