Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has anyone converted from Virgin Media to Sky HD?

Finally the wife has agreed that we need to upgrade our TV but it has only just dawned on me that Virgin Media do not do Sky Sports HD so will have to transfer over to Sky HD. Has anyone done this before? I'm a bit concerned that I may need to change my telephone number, bearing in mind that I now need to have a BT line installed. Can I change my Virgin number over to BT?

Anyone got anything good or bad to say about Sky HD?

Comments

• Options
    Can't help with changing over JB, but have Sky HD and think it's the nuts. Yes, the channels are currently limited, but the quality of the HD channels is breathtaking
  • Options
    Do you need a HD tv for it to play properly though?
  • Options
    I don't think you will have to change your number but you will have to pay BT for the line rental. Make sure that you're not tied to Vigin for a definite period.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Do you need a HD tv for it to play properly though?

To get the full benefit, yes you'll need a 1080 HD TV....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Finally the wife has agreed that we need to upgrade our TV but it has only just dawned on me that Virgin Media do not do Sky Sports HD so will have to transfer over to Sky HD. Has anyone done this before? I'm a bit concerned that I may need to change my telephone number, bearing in mind that I now need to have a BT line installed. Can I change my Virgin number over to BT?

Anyone got anything good or bad to say about Sky HD?
    hd tv is the dogs,
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Do you need a HD tv for it to play properly though?

yes
  • Options
    Don't BT charge a one off connection fee of about £100 as well, on top of the line rental etc?
  • Options
    We had our phone and internet with NTL/virgin and we kept our number when we went to BT .

BT only charge that £100 fee if you haven't had a BT line at the property before which is only gonna be the case if you live in a new build really
  • Options
    I was tempted to move but the £100 put me off. i said i had a BT line before but the woman was not having any of it, i already spoke to NTL to tell them i was off before i found out about the £100.

Next minute NTL are on the phone and offering me Free Sky Sports for 6 months internet free for a year and Movies half price for 6 months, so i stayed
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I got that whole "there hasn't been a bt line in that property before" line off them and said it would cost £100 to put in so even though I'd had bother in the past I had to go for NTL . The day I moved in I noticed a bt socket in the front room so after 1 year when the contract with ntl was up I decided to go to BT .Once again they gave me the crap about not being a socket in the house so I told them there was . After much arguing I got someone with a brain who realised everytime I was telling them 91a they would just put that in the computer then give up but it was listed as 91 , ground floor flat. I mean could it have been that difficult to figure that out.

JohnBoy you don't have to have a BT line to get sky , just a working phone line . We had an NTL phone line and internet and a SKY dish.
  • Options
    You could always do what I did and negotiate a corking phone/broadband deal (XL Broadband and Phone for £24.99 inclusive) with Virgin and just go to Sky for TV.

You DO NOT need a BT line to have Sky installed! (Unless they changed it recently)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No
  • Options
    I've just bought a new build flat and it has a Sky connection in it but only one - which means I can't use Sky+. Was thinking of switching over to V+ instead but has anyone used this? Does it work OK? And also what does it involve in terms of connection - do they have to dig up your front garden and drill holes in your property as that'd be a real non-starter for me.