Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derek Ufton - 92 Today.

Kent Cricket have posted what looks like a recent interview with Charlton legend Derek Ufton on their facebook page to celebrate his birthday.  It mainly covers his cricket career with mentions of some local clubs like VCD and Dartford.  Paul Downton does a good job interviewing, with Sam Billings as back up.  Towards the end Downton mentions the possibility of another interview covering his football career.  I will look out for that

Comments

• Options
    Happy Birthday Derek.

(Can't wait for @JiMMy 85 to come along and give his scathing critique on his time as a director!)
  • Options
    Him and Clint .. 2 tough old boys ((:>) .. Happy Birthday
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Saw Derek play briefly at the end of his career late fifties. My father rated him but said he (Derek) had a weakness in one of his shoulders which would dislocate from time to time. Played 277 league and cup games for us over 11 season mainly in the number 5 shirt at centre half. Many happy returns ⚽️🏏 🎂🥂.
  • Options
    Happy 92ND Birthday Derek ,Always travelled with the CASC train with other directors back in my day.

Met him many times and always had a story to tell TRUE Charlton man.

Just think back to that meeting at The Valley Club 1980s.

• Options
    Happy birthday your Dude-age!
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Delboy, saw you play quiet a few times for us, a very good centre half and very handy wicketkeeper for Kent
  • Options
    He was a bit unlucky that a lot of his cricket career clashed with Godfrey Evans.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    He was a bit unlucky that a lot of his cricket career clashed with Godfrey Evans.
    He would say that he was lucky.  He turned up for a trial as a batsman but failed to impress.  Ames and Levett were about to retire and Kent needed a back up keeper - so on the back of a few games keeping at a low level, he got the gig.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Derek. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Met him at a recent event at The Valley, a charming man and very interesting to talk to. Happy Birthday Derek. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    An old school gent personified.
    One of the original late 50’s Brylcreem Boys set.
  • Options
    Lovely man I met many times & helped me out once & even gave me tickets for a Boxing Day match, happy birthday Derek 
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Derek. Hope you and Judy are keeping well and safe.
  • Options
    Belated Happy Birthday 
  • Options
    Happy 92ND Birthday Derek ,Always travelled with the CASC train with other directors back in my day.

I'd imagine that most on this site would have been at that meeting (as they were at the 7-6 Huddersfield match and the two Full Members Cup matches against Birmingham and Bradford at Selhurst) ;) but for those of us that weren't could you elaborate?
  • Options

I'd imagine that most on this site would have been at that meeting (as they were at the 7-6 Huddersfield match and the two Full Members Cup matches against Birmingham and Bradford at Selhurst) ;) but for those of us that weren't could you elaborate?
    Not old enough for the 7-6 but was at the other 3. I ‘liberated’ my sword from the old gates after The Valley club meeting. A couple of my mates climbed up the floodlight by what is now the police control room (I shit myself well before halfway and came back down)
  • Options

That meeting was only open to CASC members......Steve Dixon was asking members how we should question the directors that would becoming along that night Mike Norris and Derek Ufton...Fans had been turning up who were not members remained outside until the fire doors were open from the inside........The floor was full you could not move . The meeting still went ahead and the two directors attended this meeting with club captain Mike Aizlewood very wise move by the directors.

Respect for Ufton and Norris that night it could have been a riot.
  • Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEREK. 92 - WOW!! 
    I will always remember you slowly leaving the pitch, assisted by the trainer, with a dislocated shoulder in the 7-6 match. Yes, I was there. The report of your astonishment after the game when you were told the final result whilst in your hospital bed. Memories as clear as though they happened yesterday. 
    A solid centre-half and captain for CAFC and regular wicketkeeper for Kent. Great career. I wish you many more years of happiness and good health.   
  • Options
    Belated Happy Birthday 🎂 Derek Ufton.

Only met him once briefly , could tell immediately he was an old school gent.

Captain of cafc, Kent player.
    Respect.   
    Your career will not be replicated.