Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Computer help

I am finally going to buy a new PC Windows 10. I am running Windows 7 on my existing PC and it's slow and Micosoft don't do updates I believe. 

I want to transfer over various programmes and files. What is the easiest way to do this? I am not too good with tech and I think last time I did it years ago I think I used Laplink. 

Any suggestions to make this easy?

Comments

• Options
    There are probably far quicker and more techie solutions but I have an external hard drive I use to back up my PC.

Just copy the files on to one of them.
  • Options

External Hard Drive is probably the best bet.

When shopping for a new PC. Try not to focus on the operating system as much but more on the processor and GB of RAM. Those two are essential to a quicker PC that is able to perform multiple tasks at once.

I would recommend starting at the minimum of Intel i5 processor and min 8GB of RAM. I think that's a good combo for a PC/Laptop that will perform to a good standard.

• Options
    Thanks for advice on a pc. I feared the transfer over would not be easy. I have never used an external hard drive before. 
  • Options

Very simple mate, just plug it in and the PC will recognise it. You then just drag and drop what files/docs you want onto that hard drive.

Plug said hard drive into new PC and transfer files over.

• Options
    Hi HardyAddick, it is very straightfoward to do as DoctorCharlton says above. 

Copying over files via a hard drive is easy, however you might need to reinstall any programs you had installed in the first place. 

Feel free to PM me if you need any help
  • Options
    It’s transferring programs, settings, passwords etc that worries me. I won’t have the original discs - will I need them? 
  • Options
    If you use Google Chrome, you can sign in with your Google account and then it'll sync them together, so when you sign in again on your new PC, it'll sync them again.

Most things these days you don't need a disk for, I haven't even got a disk drive in my PC. But it depends what it is, if it's a copy of Microsoft Office then you might not be able to install that without the disk.
  • Options
    Most of my stuff is on Microsoft office unfortunately. 
  • Options
    Do you have the product key for Office? If not, you will be out of luck unfortunately. There are other programs you can download that are available for free and will let you run Office programs. if you have the key, you shouuld be able to download it

Microsoft Office is just a group of programs, your passwords will be saved in your browser. Do you know what web browser you use?
  • Options
    I might be able to find the key but will take a bit of hunting.
    i have a Windows browser which I have had for ages plus Google chrome more recently. I still use both.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have Internet Explorer 11 running on a Windows 7 pc.
  • Options
    Depending on what you are using it for you could easily save a a bit of dosh and get an i3 with 4gb of RAM.

You wont be able to copy programmes across, they will all need fresh installation.

For pictures, videos, documents etc, like others have suggested I would buy a usb external hard drive. These are also handy for creating backups of your precious files. Dont waist money buying more than a 1tb drive.
  • Options
    Think I'd wait til the time it's easier to get hands on help if it were me hardyaddick.

I'd also try fixing the existing pc as it probably just needs a bit of maintenance before buying a whole new one, but I tend to get by with less and older things generally!
  • Options
    google MS Office you can pick up professional for less than a tenner on Ebay or Amazon, then it's just click on a download software link and put the key in. Done this a few times now for various laptops.
  • Options
    google MS Office you can pick up professional for less than a tenner on Ebay or Amazon, then it's just click on a download software link and put the key in. Done this a few times now for various laptops.
    Or you could use Office Libre which is an open source version and free.
    It includes a version of excel and word. Again depends what you plan to use MS Office for, but I agree NEVER pay full price for it.
  • Options
    I was going to start a thread last week about something similar. Was thinking I would need a new laptop as mine suddenly died last Wednesday & hating the fact I would need to transfer files, apps & work stuff.

Found out just the charger had gone. Internal battery had been playing up for years and had taken that our last year as my laptop is permanently plugged in. Went on Amazon and sourced suitable replacements which arrived within days. All now ok but know I need a lnew laptop very soon......but will wait until I can physically go into a shop to look & compare models. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    It includes a version of excel and word. Again depends what you plan to use MS Office for, but I agree NEVER pay full price for it.
    Open Office is cool but i use PowerPoint a lot and i like the full fat versions not cutdowns and the guessing where some MS designer has decided to put things this version...

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Open Office is cool but i use PowerPoint a lot and i like the full fat versions not cutdowns and the guessing where some MS designer has decided to put things this version...

I've only used PowerPoint a handful of times and never tried the free Libre version, impress. I can understand the reluctance to switch, if it's not broken why try and fix it.