Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Summer 2020

Comments

• edited July 2020
    Parkinson bowling beautifully and gets whipped out of the attack, and although his replacement Robinson gets Moeen lbw it looked a very dodgy one to me
  • Leuth said:
    Parkinson bowling beautifully and gets whipped out of the attack, and although his replacement Robinson gets Moeen lbw it looked a very dodgy one to me
    Well to you it obviously would 
  • Bah gawd, that's Amar Virdi's music!
  • Really want to see more of Parkinson. He was taken off just as he was finding a lovely rhythm!
  • Legendary West Indies batsman Sir Everton Weekes has died at the age of 95.

Weekes, who scored 4,455 runs at an average of 58.61 in 48 Tests, is the only man to make centuries in five consecutive Test innings.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53258007

• Buttler duffs another stumping. Virdi misses out
  • Bess has bowled pretty well but he's getting a lot of overs. Wouldn't it be worth giving Lawrence a spin for a couple?
  • Leuth said:
    Bah gawd, that's Amar Virdi's music!
    I didn't think Virdi was in the playing squads?
  • Virdi gets the wicket, with the first bad ball he's bowled. That's how it works sometimes! He looks very good tbh. Moeen and Leach comfortably outshone by all today's spinners
  • Leuth said:
    Buttler duffs another stumping. Virdi misses out
    Butler should be nowhere in the pecking order for England keepers 
  • Sponsored links:

• Sam curran self isolating after having a test
  • edited July 2020
    Sam curran self isolating after having a test
    Reported as sickness and the shots so hopefully a precaution. Does give an opportunity for one of the 47 other seamers in the game to jump ahead of him in the pecking order.

Leuth said:
    Bah gawd, that's Amar Virdi's music!
    I didn't think Virdi was in the playing squads?
    Neither was one of the Overtons but they seem to have added them one each to each team.
  • Leuth said:
    You know my views.
  • Leuth said:
    You know my views.
    And mine
  • edited July 2020
    Leuth said:
    Virdi gets the wicket, with the first bad ball he's bowled. That's how it works sometimes! He looks very good tbh. Moeen and Leach comfortably outshone by all today's spinners
    Briefly watched Parkinson and he looked very good - nice to see a leg spinner getting quite a bit of turn. What will always work in moeen’s favour is he can do it with the bat, leach, virdi and Parkinson are career number 11’s. I have a feeling that’s why Bess will be England’s number 1 spinner for a long time 

• Leach looked nothing like an 11 yesterday, repelling Wood and Archer with absolute ease. Bess looked very good but I do question whether he gets the rip that scares batsmen. Maybe a wily holding-job is the ticket. You'd hope the days of just choosing a spinner for their batting ability are over, though.
  • Leuth said:
    Leach looked nothing like an 11 yesterday, repelling Wood and Archer with absolute ease. Bess looked very good but I do question whether he gets the rip that scares batsmen. Maybe a wily holding-job is the ticket. You'd hope the days of just choosing a spinner for their batting ability are over, though.
    Leach is the world’s greatest number 11 and no one will convince me otherwise.
  • Leuth said:
    Leach looked nothing like an 11 yesterday, repelling Wood and Archer with absolute ease. Bess looked very good but I do question whether he gets the rip that scares batsmen. Maybe a wily holding-job is the ticket. You'd hope the days of just choosing a spinner for their batting ability are over, though.
    Leach is a decent batsman. Indeed if anything it's his bowling  which has yet to entirely convince. Steady but not spectacular

Moeen is more erratic, but does take wickets
  • Moeen bowls pies or is unplayable, there’s no in between, unfortunately for a front line spinner you need to be able to build pressure. 
  • Moeen bowls pies or is unplayable, there’s no in between, unfortunately for a front line spinner you need to be able to build pressure. 
    But then how many English spinners since Underwood have managed to be both tight AND dangerous? Swann is the only one who comes to mind
  • Sponsored links:

• Nice early bowl for Parkinson here...
    But then how many English spinners since Underwood have managed to be both tight AND dangerous? Swann is the only one who comes to mind
    Swann was the best spinner in the world for a time. We won’t see a homegrown spinner like that for another few decades again. The wild card is always rashid, if he decided to play red ball cricket again. 
  • Gets Bairstow, clearly caught at deep cover or something, giving him a boost and hopefully putting the kibosh on a Bairstow comeback. 39 runs though! Very persuasive!
  • I do love Zak Crawleys Alec Stewart style bat twirl he does. Nostalgic. 
  • Swann was very good but I think you're definitely overdoing it. Won't see another homegrown spinner like that for another few decades? It's entirely possible Amar Virdi is heading very much that way already
  • Dream scenario for Parkinson: a tired team having a swing. Gets Sibley stumped now
  • Crawley just played a shot off Broad that should force him to retire tbh
  • OK now Stokes has decided to test young Matt Parkinson's nerve. A perfectly good over, all six balls right on the spot, gets smashed for 22. I hope they keep him on and continue the battle
  • Unimaginatively, Bess is on next over. Boooooo
  • Based on that, here's my extremely rogue First Test XI

Burns
    Sibley
    Crawley
    Lawrence
    Stokes
    Pope
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Foakes but it'll be Buttler
    Bess
    Archer
    Anderson
    Parkinson (but it'll be Woakes (batting at 8))