Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beano or Dandy?

Comments

• Options
    Beano.

I was still buying it into my thirties, then it went glossy and lost its charm. When I moved to Thailand I sold my Beano annual collection, together with an entire set of Dennis The Menace annuals dating back to the fifties, a decision I regret.

I once had a letter published on the Dennis The Menace Fan Club page- it made letter of the week - one of the proudest moments of my life. I was 28 at the time! I have that comic here in Phuket.

@lordromford spoke of Leo Baxendale, whose work on the Bash Street Kids was some of the finest art ever seen in British comics, but I hold Ken Reid in similar esteem. He created Roger The Dodger and Jonah and left DC Thomson to join Odhams with Leo Baxendale. He had a very recogniseable style; Frankie Stein in Wham was one of his.

I've bought my daughter a few Beano Annuals and comics. She liked them for a couple of years but I had a look and they just don't compare to those produced in the golden age of British comics.

• Options
    Beano.

I was still buying it into my thirties, then it went glossy and lost its charm. When I moved to Thailand I sold my Beano annual collection, together with an entire set of Dennis The Menace annuals dating back to the fifties, a decision I regret.

I once had a letter published on the Dennis The Menace Fan Club page- it made letter of the week - one of the proudest moments of my life. I was 28 at the time! I have that comic here in Phuket.

@lordromford spoke of Leo Baxendale, whose work on the Bash Street Kids was some of the finest art ever seen in British comics, but I hold Ken Reid in similar esteem. He created Roger The Dodger and Jonah and left DC Thomson to join Odhams with Leo Baxendale. He had a very recogniseable style; Frankie Stein in Wham was one of his.

I've bought my daughter a few Beano Annuals and comics. She liked them for a couple of years but I had a look and they just don't compare to those produced in the golden age of British comics.

Yeah, agreed on Ken Reid. I have to admit, I’d forgotten his name. Thanks for reminding me.
    👍🏼
  • Options
    I lived near Dundee for a long time and they have a desparate Dan statue 
  • Options
    Eagle and Beezer.....from around 1957.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    McBobbin said:
    Was anyone else a member of the Dennis the Menace fan club? Had the Dennis and Gnasher fluffy badge
    and a members club book like a passport

edit:-

• Options
    addix said:
    My sister got the Beano, I had Buster.

My dad always got the Beano Christmas annual every year until he passed away aged 76 last year.

Couldn't believe the price of the Beano when I saw one a couple of weeks ago - nearly 3 quid!
    My mum used to buy me an annual every year too, until I was around 30.

Can only find these ones though 

• Options
    Any thread on comics must include shouts for captain hurricane, Billy bunter and Roy of the rovers...

Used to get beano and dandy but reckon the beano had the edge ..one of my cafc supporting mates was nicknamed biffo at school 
  • Options
    Started with Dandy but my mates told me Beano was better, and being an independent soul, I changed to the Beano, and even joined the Dennis the Menace fan club, with the fluffy badges I never wore.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Beano. Loved the Bash St Kids - Smiffy was the best character! 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Beano over Dandy by a country mile. I was given no choice though - my parents decided Beezer was ‘more appropriate’. Still, don’t know why.
  • Options
    Forget the Beano . Why is Bears career over ?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Victor for me. Couldn't wait for Saturdays papers to arrive.

Ordered this a couple of weeks ago funnily enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete-Victor-Comics-on-7-DVD-ROM/283900076518?hash=item4219c361e6:g:lHMAAOSwcMNeZT-B

• Options
    The Beano. Loved the Bash St Kids - Smiffy was the best character! 
    Feck off. It was Plug.
  • Options
    Beano from me also...it just sounded way cooler than the Dandy & of course a better read...
  • Options
    I can't remember if I got comics every week, but certainly read both the Beano and Dandy regularly. I did like The Jocks and the Geordies
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    iaitch said:
    limeygent said:
    Dandy, because my big sister got Beano. Desperate Dan was my hero.
    You having cow pie for dinner?
    Sorry, but I don't have a clue what this post means.

Desperate Dan always had this for dinner. He was your hero, really?

Desperate Dan cow pie to be sold - Daily Record

• Options
    Beano. Dandy was always two bob.
  • Options
    Beano over Dandy by a country mile. I was given no choice though - my parents decided Beezer was ‘more appropriate’. Still, don’t know why.

Must have had posh parents, insisting you read the broadsheets rather than the tabloids!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beano, TV21 and Knockout were my favourites. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    limeygent said:
    iaitch said:
    limeygent said:
    Dandy, because my big sister got Beano. Desperate Dan was my hero.
    You having cow pie for dinner?
    Sorry, but I don't have a clue what this post means.

Desperate Dan always had this for dinner. He was your hero, really?

Desperate Dan cow pie to be sold - Daily Record

Long long time ago.
  • Options
    Of course the real question should be Match or Shoot
  • Options
    I used to love the Football Monthly comics, all different but Stark (forget his first name was in a few) - I’ve got them all up in the loft! 
  • Options
    Will be honest, hadn't a clue they were comic books and thought you were on about this 

BeanoBeano

• Options
    You'll feel dandy after a beano.
  • Options
    Tony Stark?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Was anyone else a member of the Dennis the Menace fan club? Had the Dennis and Gnasher fluffy badge
    Yes I was , goodness knows how much the membership cost, £1.50?
  • Options
    Beano - always got the annual at Christmas... Remember all the characters:

Dennis the Menace
    Bash Street Kids
    Minnie the Minx
    Billy Whizz
    Roger the Dodger
    Ivy the Terrible 
    Ballboy