Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Willie Thorne

2»

Comments

• rest in peace Willie 

A part of the generation of players that made the game a genuine spectator sport 

Seemed like a good sport whenever he was on big break too
  • As other said, a real stand out character from the days when there were plenty in snooker and it was a high profile sport on TV. 
  • A great character and instrumental in the growth of the sport back in the eighties.

RIP

• RIP to a true sporting character and gent.

Decent sense of humour as well, his underwear brand name brought out the little kid in me.
  • meldrew66 said:
    Brings back memories of meeting him when doing an exhibition match at a Pontins holiday camp when I was a lad which must have been a good 38 or so years ago. He had his demons as, seemingly, did the vast majority of famous sports personalities of his era. He came across as a genuine, nice man which seems to be everyone else's opinion of him too. RIP fella.
    On of the 1st things I mentioned,when I heard the news...can’t mem the pontins where I was staying at the mo,but I’m sure I have a photo of me & him...there were a couple of other players that names escape me know tho,but now thinking bout it,sure one was Dennis Taylor & maybe Doug Mountjoy...was about 7-8 so about 41yrs ago for me....anyways yes very sad news RIP Willie 
  • RIP Willie
  • Always cheerful and entertaining. RIP Willie. 
  • RIP Willie, a true gentleman.  
  • Now old Willy Thorne his hair's all gone
    And his mates all take the rise
    His opponent said cover up his head
    Cos it's shining in my eyes
    When the light shines down on his bare crown
    It's a cert he's gonna walk it
    It's just not fair giving off that glare
    'Perhaps I ought to chalk it'
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2020
    I played at Willie's club in Leicester in 1989 in a competition. Everyone was in the bar watching the world snooker semi, Davis v Hendry. Willie grabbed the remote and switched to Channel 4 racing because he had a bet on.

RIP Willie.

• I played a frame against him back in the early 90’s in Cambridge. Lovely bloke . RIP
    Does watching while he pots all the balls count as “played against him “?
  • edited June 2020
    I played a frame against him back in the early 90’s in Cambridge. Lovely bloke . RIP
    Does watching while he pots all the balls count as “played against him “?
    Not true.

I potted two reds.
  • That's really sad. An absolutely lovely bloke. RIP Willie.
  • Some people you just know are top people. It was something that was instantly obvious with Willie. R.I.P.