Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thomas to man city?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Do you not think he'd score more in the CCC? I think back to Robbo slapping in 7/8 a season down there and some crackers to boot. I think he could easy bag 7/8 this season and be really buzzing with confidence and if we do go back up we'll have a player who's added the goals to his game.
  • Options
    Its naive to look at this as being an easier division. Just cos he's come down from the premier league doesn't make him a world beater in the championship. Watch out for the same ineffectual performances week in, week out. Coming to a football stadium near you. August 2007.

I like the guy, really I do. I think he's got a good attitude and think Afka's earlier post was spot on. But he's a very limited player, and he's not suddenly going to start supplying great crosses just cos we're in the fizzy pop.
  • Options
    Thats not wat i mean at all, wat i mean is that i genuinely think he will score more goals. I've personally played football with the guy on numerous occasions and he can finish trust me! I jst think the confidence will come more next year if he stays and if he gets a goal early in the season he'll bag 7/8 at least which will help us out cos we've been notoriously bad as contributing goals from midfield in the last 2 odd seasons.
  • Options
    keep trying cunning... you have an almost uncanny knack of going against the grain....

weve seen over the last few years that the chap can cut inside and deliver a decant ball, if he wants to, ala man city at home last year, or birmingham away a couple of years back, he can also take people on and beat them and finish ala west ham at home... he can also smash them in from distance ala spurs at home under the fllodlights and he can win us the odd pen ala west brom away.... so we have seen he CAN do it... now it is natural to assume that being a division below we will see a little more space, slightly lower quality of players as with the money floating around in the Prem any body that looks like they could do a job is getting snapped up...

I dont know with JT Ive liked him and picked him out as someone who can make a difference in a game IF he wants to Ive always thought it was a bit to do with attitude.... but dont we always think that about our more flair players?
  • Options
    If he went I wouldn't lose any sleep. If he stayed then I'm sure he would be on the nbench if he didn't perform.

We can't really lose, can we?
  • Options
    Mascot.

I'm not the 1st person on this thread to comment on JTs ability (or lack of). So I'm not really going against the grain am I?
  • Options
    Just how I read it.... everyone talking about atitude as opposed to ability....

probabaly got the wong end of the stick then...
  • Options
    I'm not doubting the guys attitude. Can't think of a game where he's hid and, unlike Rommedahl, I can't see Cardiff on a cold december night affecting his game. I just don't see how dropping a division will improve his ability to cross a ball.

RASE7

Maybe the guy is a great natural finisher. In which case, why doesn't he try to get inside more???
  • Options
    I think he would have the ability in the CCC, but agree with others that it's his attitude that's lacking. I can never forgive him for the Wycombe game - he was the laziest/ worst one out there, and that's saying a lot. He most certainly hid then and on many other occasions. I'd have been happy to never see him in a CAFC shirt again after that. One good match - WHAM - does not make him worth his wages.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Probably the single most annoying player I've seen in a Charlton shirt, when he can be bothered he does it, when he doesn't it's painful.

Too many step overs with no quality at the end, plus he doesn't have the pace to be a real top quality player

More annoying than Rommedahl?? Actually they deserve one another in my opinion. Both have bags of ability but so very rarely show it off. Rommedahl needs Sigmund Freud as his coach, Thomas needs Mr Motivator.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I find Thomas much much more frustrating - Romm needs help with his confidence (as you suggest, Bing). Thomas could do it if only he could be bothered.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I find Thomas much much more frustrating - Romm needs help with his confidence (as you suggest, Bing). Thomas could do it if only he could be bothered.

agreed
  • Options
    I like Thomas and I think if anyone can get him playing consistantly then it's Pardew. Hope he can play on the his preferred side as I think that is why he cuts in so much rather than going outside. If sinclair comes we'll have plenty of options on the flanks.
  • Options
    what do people expect JT to be doing?

Covering every blade of grass? Flying into tackles 110%? Landing pin point crosses on the head of strikers at every attempt? Scoring 15 goals a season?

Come on, be realistic, he is a luxury player who gives something to our side that no other player can give. Flair. Fair enough, last season we needed to sacrifice the flair which he obviously is not suited to but playing in an attacking team with more freedom (which we all agree we should be next year) he will be heads and shoulders above many players.

I for one would like to see him stay.
  • Options
    In my opinion, the only skillful player we have left on our books, although I will admit he can be very frustrating at times.

Letter to AP

Dear Mr Pards,
    Please instruct JP to whip the ball into the goal area as soon as possible.
    Yours sincerely
    Mr. S. Gone.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]what do people expect JT to be doing?

Covering every blade of grass? Flying into tackles 110%? Landing pin point crosses on the head of strikers at every attempt? Scoring 15 goals a season?

Well, that seems to be what everyone expects of Romm all the time. At least getting close to the latter two would be a start for a winger in the CCC. And Henry, Pardew had half a season to get the best out of JT - he managed it in one game. Doesn't sound like he's managing it in pre-season from McMoist's comments above, either.
  • Options
    i always find it funny at matches, when ever rommers gets the ball it seems the whole stadium shouts RUN!! ROMMERDAHL RUN!!!!!!! and then if he fluffs it the whole place goes AAWWWWWW!!!

No wonder hes nervous...
  • Options
    I'd never expect a winger to be a grafting ball-winner, but when a ball is there to be won.....

He's a good, talented, show-boating, fan pleasing attacking flair player.

He could do with stepping up to the plate a little more often and attempting to take games by the scruff of the neck. Maybe my judgement is clouded from last season slightly.
  • Options
    I definitely don't think you can question Thomas' ability - one of the few players at the club who has a real natural ability on the ball (I don't think the Rommedahl comparison's a valid one as he really doesn't have that). He did go a little awry at times last season but I think Pards will get the best out of him and I honestly see him as the kind of player who has the potential to be appearing in all those 'teams of the season' come May.

I also think people grossly underestimated his value as a defensive outlet. At times over the past few seasons when we've been really under pressure (which has been far from rare) he's been one of the few players who you could give the ball to to take the pressure off a bit. Very rarely did it go straight back to the opposition, he'd either run and win a free kick or find a red shirt and that's far more than can be said for most of them.

I, for one, would be really sorry to see him leave.
  • Options
    Unless we've got something better and so far that is yet to be proved, then deffo keep him, I think he took a wage drop in his contract anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are people annoyed with Jerome the player in a Charlton shirt or Jerome the 23 year old who likes to let his hair down and hang around with vapid beings in 'celebrity' nightspots?

Jerome in a Charlton Shirt, never fails to give 100% and for people who moan we don't create anything, he's the only one that looks likely to create anything last year. He tracks back, makes tackles and i've only ever been impressed with him. I'd love to keep the bloke, and agree with others that he'll make a hell of an impact next year in the CCC, this is one of the players that was being talked up as England potential last year! The fact is he's a better player than Kumas who was the big player in the CCC last year and just been sold for £5million yet half of you are willing to let him go for a fraction of that.

Jerome the party animal, is an idiot, it's un Charlton and i think everytime he's in the papers, what a twat. Does it affect his game? Dunno myself.

Now if we could sell Jerome the Party animal and keep Jerome the Charlton player i'd be very happy.
  • Options
    exllents posts PITL and T
  • Options
    Bang on T
  • Options
    It's his life - I couldn't care how much he is a party animal PROVIDING he produces the goods consistantly in a Charlton shirt.

I believe overall he is inconsistant but nevertheless an underestimated player - but I do understand why people get frustrated with him.

If only he knew when to showboat and when to be direct, then we would see more end product and he would be much more effective for the team.

But for flair and sheer ability, we'd be mugs to lose him.