Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Piped in crowd noises

Why have we stopped playing the crowd chants/noises over the PA system? 

We seemed well up for the game at the valley when the ‘crowd was singing’ against QPR , but it’s been missing ever since.... any reason? 

Comments

• Options
    I know we couldn't do it for the Millwall game because Sky wouldn't let us.
  • Options
    All the 'Cardboards' were ordered to wear masks for that game as well so it was a double whammy!
  • Options
    What a load of rubbish coming from the cardboard end wasn't great. 
  • Options
    Should we fans ever get over the debacle that is currently ruining Charlton Athletic and return to the Valley:-

We may need the piped-in ground noises to gently ease us back and feel comfortable again.  This became the norm in 50s sitcoms when engineer Charley Douglass objected to the laughter he was hearing.  He was working at CBS in the early days of television, hated it when studio audiences laughed at the wrong moments, didn’t laugh at the right moments, or laughed too loudly or for too long. He went on to develop the 'laff' box.  

Mind you, I'm not sure if one box could re-produce all the emotions over the Valley of tears at the moment, although the oft used recording of Lucille Ball's mother's 'uh ho', might come in handy.  :/

• Options
    on the sky game between WBA and Derby I heard Valley Floyd road...
  • Options
    Other sky games have had  crowd noises.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I heard that which was really weird, had to double check it wasnt Forest that was playing when I heard it.

Have West Brom started singing it as well so they piped it in or was it just randomly piped in

TBH I just thought as its a Forest song as well West Brom had done it to wind Derby up
  • Options
    Pretty sure in the Wolves v Everton game yesterday they were playing Aston Villa songs as crowd noise, not sure sky have quite got the hang of it yet.
  • Options
    I heard that which was really weird, had to double check it wasnt Forest that was playing when I heard it.

Have West Brom started singing it as well so they piped it in or was it just randomly piped in

TBH I just thought as its a Forest song as well West Brom had done it to wind Derby up
    oh it wasn't just me then! My theory is they have taken recordings from past matches, including ours at the Hawthorns, and just mix a few up, and put on endless loop. Sky had Fulham or Bournemouth singing Barmy Army the other day..... The crowd noise for the Spurs Arsenal game  was really out on sync yesterday, with reaction noises well after the shot/save etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

oh it wasn't just me then! My theory is they have taken recordings from past matches, including ours at the Hawthorns, and just mix a few up, and put on endless loop. Sky had Fulham or Bournemouth singing Barmy Army the other day..... The crowd noise for the Spurs Arsenal game  was really out on sync yesterday, with reaction noises well after the shot/save etc
    Its why I dont watch games with crowd noise lol, not sure why I did West Brom Derby maybe there was another game on main event and they only had one channel for the weet brom game so i had to put up with crowd noise lol or maybe i just clicked the wrong channel and assumed the noise was coming from the stadium haha tbh I cant remember.
  • Options
    At the cricket (certainly on the radio) they didn't try to add cheers for good shots or wickets, but did add on the main broadcast a low level Lord's hum, that sort of background noise you get with a large cricket crowd when play is plodding along! I found it worked quite well
  • Options
    Other sky games have had  crowd noises.
    Yes, what Sky "produced".
    They didn't want us to actually play our crowd noise over The Valley speakers.