Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Barry Geraghty has Retired

One of the best and most consistent jockeys over the past two decades has called it a day. He won almost everything there was to win in jumps racing and, for what it's worth, was my favourite NH rider. I'll miss him, although last season he was showing signs of vulnerability at age forty.
I wonder who J P McManus will sign up as his number one rider ?. I first thought Aiden Coleman, but I'll have a small wager on J J O'Neill Jnr., or is he too inexperienced despite his great potential ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Geraghty

Comments

• A jockey out of the very top drawer and has had a stellar career.

Good shout on Jonjo junior, but more one for the future I would suggest.

Very best wishes on your retirement, Barry - but I hope you will continue to be involved in the sport in some way.
  • edited July 2020
    bobmunro said:
    A jockey out of the very top drawer and has had a stellar career.

Good shout on Jonjo junior, but more one for the future I would suggest.

Very best wishes on your retirement, Barry - but I hope you will continue to be involved in the sport in some way.
    The bookies fancy Mark Walsh for the job. and as usual, they are probably right. It's certain that Barry will stay very much involved with racing .. owner/breeder, pundit (he is a very eloquent and knowledgeable man) .. I can't see him as a trainer for some reason .. we will see
  • Possibly JJ Jnr and possibly lack of experience but a question as to whether he would want to leave his old man's stable and go and live in Ireland. The vast majority of his rides come from Snr (402) and Colin Tizzard (87) with the next one being Tony Carroll (10) so, as a Conditional, he hasn't had much exposure to any other big yards - he's never ridden for Nicholls and only once done so for Henderson.

Mark Walsh is already retained by JP so I suspect that he will probably get the gig.
  • What a wonderful career he's had. Can't see him out the game though - suspect punditry will be the next port of call.

JP's charges are in very good hands with Mark Walsh (seems a certainty to me).