Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gas boiler engineer

I have already tried the Forum's market place but couldn't see anything on there.

It appears my Potterton boiler has packed up as we have had no hot water for over 24 hours. I tested the central heating system and that is also not working. No pilot light etc. Unfortunately my regular engineer is away until Wednesday and obviously can't wait that long.

Any lifers who can help or recommend someone who won't rip you off? Please pm me.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    sounds obvious but is  it a combi? has pressure gone down?
  • Options
    Not 100% sure what you mean and I'm a bit of a luddite in electrical/mechanical areas. It is a combi, which was why I tried putting the heating on. Not aware of reduced water pressure in the area. Probably the opposite of what you mean. Thanks though.
  • Options
    Check the water pressure, boiler should have a gauge. You might need to fill the system back up
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Not 100% sure what you mean and I'm a bit of a luddite in electrical/mechanical areas. It is a combi, which was why I tried putting the heating on. Not aware of reduced water pressure in the area. Probably the opposite of what you mean. Thanks though.
    EDIT: Should have read your whole post.

Are you sure it has a pilot light as I suspect most Combi's have electronic ignition?

Is there a re-set button on the bottom of the casing?
  • Options
    Let me know the model name on the potterton boiler. Try to help
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I have someone round to look at it now. It's not a combi, its a Potterton Prima F, over 20 years old. The central heating is working, but the water heater isn't. He suspects it's the programmer. Will replace and see if it fixes it. Failing trhat it looks like a new boiler, ouch!
  • Options
    @bolloxbolder, my brother in law is gas safe, he fitted @T_C_E a boiler last year for him.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I have someone round to look at it now. It's not a combi, its a Potterton Prima F, over 20 years old. The central heating is working, but the water heater isn't. He suspects it's the programmer. Will replace and see if it fixes it. Failing trhat it looks like a new boiler, ouch!
    So you've got a hot water cylinder which presumably has an immersion heater element in it for such emergencies?

Those Pottertons have a cast iron heat exchanger so should go on and on.
  • Options

The gas guy could of just put a link in the programmer to test if faulty.  
    If you have heating but no hw i guess programmer be fine and the fault is with a zone valve that controls heating and hw in the airing cupboard. Just a punt tho. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @bolloxbolder, my brother in law is gas safe, he fitted @T_C_E a boiler last year for him.
    Highly recommended except for his spanner mate! 😉
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    He’s got a spanner mate? First I’ve heard of it.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    So you've got a hot water cylinder which presumably has an immersion heater element in it for such emergencies?

Those Pottertons have a cast iron heat exchanger so should go on and on.
    I had Prima. The heat exchanger rotted through and let go.
    That was a Saturday morning I cant forget.

But to be fair to it, the thing was quite old, had know maintence for years and the old fellow that owned the house previous to me neglected to put any inhibitor in the system. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020

• Options

How quick are these adverts,literally just browsing thread & this pops up...😳
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Yep, we had to lock away the family silver and didn’t feed the dogs for a couple of days but overall he was quite well house trained. 😉
  • Options
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but have had someone look at the boiler in my flat I rent out, and have been told there is a leak ok the aqua block, and the boiler needs replacing 

Combi boiler thats about 10 years old. Anyone on here local to Bexley that can give a second opinion/price ?

Thanks 
  • Options
    Hi cafcbrown
    What manufacture is the boiler and model if possible. 

• Options
    Gasman said:
    Hi cafcbrown
    What manufacture is the boiler and model if possible. 

T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    Yep, we had to lock away the family silver and didn’t feed the dogs for a couple of days but overall he was quite well house trained. 😉
    Hi Mate

Glow-worm flexicom 24cx
  • Options
    Cheers.  Sorry to say but really horrid boilers. Not sure what you mean by aqua block. If you mean the main heat exchanger has started to leak then yes replace.
    Ive taken quite a few out over the last few years . Look into a fixed fee repair with vaillant who now owns glowworm but dont think they will cover heat exchangers.   Im abit far away in east kent to help. Good luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bumping this - Any engineers I can ask a question to about a combi boiler?
  • Options
    BDL said:
    @guinnessaddick brother in law
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    BDL said:
    @guinnessaddick brother in law
    He’s out of that game now, having moved up to Scotland.