Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Wigan | Sat 18 July, 2020 | Post-match thread

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    bobmunro said:
    If one team wins, one team can't overtake us and one is in a good position to

If Luton and Hull draw theoretically both could go ahead of us if they both win on Wednesday. Hull away to Cardiff seems unlikely, Luton at home to Blackburn seems more possible

Hull off to a good start against Luton. Interesting!
    I want Hull to win - much less likely than Luton to win their last game.

I want a 0-0

Noooo - we will certainly finish above the loser and also very likely above Barnsley. I cannot see Wigan beating Fulham.

If the above happens (including the assumptions which are not wild assumptions) then we are safe already.
  • bobmunro said:
    Sorry if posted already.

We need a winner today between Luton and Hull - the loser cannot go above us. If it's a draw then both could still go above us.
    Barnsley will not win both their last two games (Forest and Brentford).
    As long as Fulham do not lose against Wigan then we are safe, irrespective of the result against Leeds.

That equaliser has saved our season.
    That’s one view. But a draw increases the chances of neither finishing above us. Wigan could easily beat a Fulham team with nothing to play for.  

If it’s a draw in the Hull game, then a point against Leeds guarantees safety. If say Luton win, we could get a point against Leeds but still finish below both Luton and Wigan and therefore going down. 
  • bobmunro said:

If Luton and Hull draw theoretically both could go ahead of us if they both win on Wednesday. Hull away to Cardiff seems unlikely, Luton at home to Blackburn seems more possible

Think I'd prefer a draw, so a point would be enough for us at Leeds. 
    That’s what I think. A draw today and we only need a point against Leeds. 

Even if we lost against Leeds, two of Hull, Luton and Wigan would then have to win their final game to go above us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Fulham winning 
  • bobmunro said:
    Sorry if posted already.

We need a winner today between Luton and Hull - the loser cannot go above us. If it's a draw then both could still go above us.
    As long as Fulham do not lose against Wigan then we are safe, irrespective of the result against Leeds.

That’s one view. But a draw increases the chances of neither finishing above us. Wigan could easily beat a Fulham team with nothing to play for.  

If it’s a draw in the Hull game, then a point against Leeds guarantees safety. If say Luton win, we could get a point against Leeds but still finish below both Luton and Wigan and therefore going down. 
    I want Hull to win. Trust me on this, based on probability (odds if you so wish) then the best result for us today is a Hull victory.

• aliwibble said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Bet no one could beat me for celebrating that goal!!

Started to go down on my knees, got cramp in the back of my leg, started hobbling about screaming YES, YES, ARGHH I'VE GOT CRAMP, YES!!!
    You were lucky that Bowyer didn't hook you and put Pratley on.

Pratley's injured Oggy :p
    That was lucky for @ForeverAddickted ...... although he did well to hang on the final whistle.

• https://streamable.com/upt0eg

Massive goal in our season
    As beautiful to watch as the Bauer goal at Wembley

Funnily both goals result in the same reaction from the opposition Goalkeeper :)
  • bobmunro said:

Think I'd prefer a draw, so a point would be enough for us at Leeds. 
    That’s what I think. A draw today and we only need a point against Leeds. 

Even if we lost against Leeds, two of Hull, Luton and Wigan would then have to win their final game to go above us. 

It's the 'only need a point against Leeds' that worries me!!

My Leeds boss is saying they haven't forgotten losing to us after they dominated the whole match...

Now that bothers me! 
  • Sponsored links:

• What are people's thoughts on the subs today? - Of course we rescued a point so imagine that people will be happy with Bowyer's decisions today

Certainly nice that Bowyer didnt feel the overall need to use a 5th sub just for the sake of it

Seeing we were poor for about 20mins towards the end though you could look past the surface and wonder if they were the right calls?
  • Oggy Red said:
    So 11 Championship goals now for our non-League striker.

Since Taylor f*cked off, it's all been on Bonne's shoulders. We need to cut him some slack.

He is not a non league striker, he is a championship striker. That is shown by the division he plays his football in 
  • edited July 2020
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Sorry if posted already.

I want Hull to win. Trust me on this, based on probability (odds if you so wish) then the best result for us today is a Hull victory.

Well no it’s just your opinion. My view is that it still leaves everything in the air. 

If Hull win, a point at Leeds and we could still go down. 
    If it’s a draw, we go to Leeds knowing a point is enough. 

So whilst I accept what you are saying, I’d prefer us to go into that game knowing exactly what we need rather then drawing 1-1 but getting relegated to a 94th min Hull winner. 

Edit - if Hull win today, draw Wednesday and we lose against Leeds then we also go down (if Wigan win too). 
  • Didnt watch live, but just seen the highlights. 2 poor goals conceded, the 1st could have ended up anywhere ffs! But two great goals scored and some nice chances created by the look of it. That started as a game we had to win, but in the end it was one we couldn't afford to lose! Still in the mix. Credit to the players and Bow for keeping going till the end, attacking subs at HT too :-). Well done Macca, proper stepped up since lockdown ended. He may not be the finished article...but that finish was beautiful. Well done lad. COYA
  • The venom aimed at our players during a game is unreal. I guess you guys do the same at matches ?

Well done Bowyer for keeping Bonne on at the death, all the other experts thought he should come off because he misses chances. The fact he now has 3 in 5 games appears to count for nothing. Davidson was enthusiastic for 60 odd minutes and did his self proud but his first game for about 5 months in first team was always going to drain him.

I will give the match thread a wide berth on Wednesday as I seem to be out of kilter with the comments. Too many folk just want to bury Charlton and the players 

I repeat the same message that I said after the Birmingham game. The whole team are giving 100% every 3 or 4 days despite their obvious limitations at times.

Naby Sarr did at least 3 great passes But being Naby, the cross for the first goal he had to try to stop with his Left foot not his right ! 

Still we live to fight another day and I'm still considering @bobmunro claim that's it best that either Hull or Luton win. A lot of ifs and Buts in there, but in Bob we trust.

Very dangerous!
    My analysis assumes Wigan get the 12 point deduction - if they don't (and it's a possibility knowing the EFL), I still think a Hull win is better for us - they would have to beat Cardiff on the last day to go above us so - much tougher than Luton against Blackburn.

• The venom aimed at our players during a game is unreal. I guess you guys do the same at matches ?

Well done Bowyer for keeping Bonne on at the death, all the other experts thought he should come off because he misses chances. The fact he now has 3 in 5 games appears to count for nothing. Davidson was enthusiastic for 60 odd minutes and did his self proud but his first game for about 5 months in first team was always going to drain him.

I will give the match thread a wide berth on Wednesday as I seem to be out of kilter with the comments. Too many folk just want to bury Charlton and the players 

I repeat the same message that I said after the Birmingham game. The whole team are giving 100% every 3 or 4 days despite their obvious limitations at times.

Naby Sarr did at least 3 great passes But being Naby, the cross for the first goal he had to try to stop with his Left foot not his right ! 

Still we live to fight another day and I'm still considering @bobmunro claim that's it best that either Hull or Luton win. A lot of ifs and Buts in there, but in Bob we trust.

Fully agreed