Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Green RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    From "Black Magic Woman" to "Albatross" to "Man of the World". And of course the wonderfully subtle Elvis parody "Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight" which, somewhat bizarrely, appeared on the B side of "Man of the World" and was actually credited to Earl Vince and the Valiants.

RIP Peter
  • Options
    RIP Greeny.
    One of the best from our shores, just for the tone alone.
  • Options
    Revisited 'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac' and 'Then Play On' this morning for the first time in donkey's. I had almost forgot what a genius he was.

RIP Greeny
  • Options
    One of the best. RIP Peter. 
  • Options
    Unique sound, great guitarist, only saw him once at Lewisham Town Hall. Did a design for  a music magazine,that folded this week, did not get the job
    What a gig that was Cozy Powell and Neil Murray. Do you remember Ken, we were sitting next to Mr Murray in the pub beforehand and I think you said we'd better drink up and I said "no rush, we're sitting next to the bassist!"?
  • Options
    I wore my Peter Green t Shirt out last night in homage to one of my all-time favourite performers. Fleetwood Mac stopped in 1970 as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Absolute legend and his music will live forever: Albatross, Oh Well, Man of the World, The Green Manalishi....RIP to a class act and a major contributor to the blues and to British music.

''Can't help about the shape I'm in
    I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin
    But don't ask me what I think of you
    I might not give the answer that you want me to...''
  • Options
    From "Black Magic Woman" to "Albatross" to "Man of the World". And of course the wonderfully subtle Elvis parody "Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight" which, somewhat bizarrely, appeared on the B side of "Man of the World" and was actually credited to Earl Vince and the Valiants.

RIP Peter

I'd forgotten about Earl Vince and the Valiants.

Great track
  • Options

RIP Peter
    Somebody's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked in was a Jeremy Spencer song.
    My favourite Peter Green song is The Green Manalishi - one of my favourite all time songs, I love it.
    Was a top ten hit too - can you imagine something like that getting in the top ten now.
    Actually, do they still have a hit parade record charts these days?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lucky enough to have seen him play at The Orchard. Sad ending to a very sad life. RIP
  • Options
    BBC 4 is repeating (from around 2009) a PG documentary this evening at 9ish
  • Options
    Just watched it again tonight, very good.  All the people involved made interesting  and seemingly honest dialogue. The music never sounds stale or dated. Such a sad story but lifted by the music that Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac gave.   
  • Options
    Was a good documentary, especially about the tour to Germany and the one night the band are convinced that was the major tipping point in his mental health issues. And are still, well in 2009, bitter about.

RIP Peter
  • Options
    If I could sing anything, then please let it be the way Peter sings "stone" at 1:59 on this recording of Black Magic Woman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eANGHVQS9Q

I'm very late to this thread, but RIP. What could have been, I suppose. But what a gift his music was to the world, nonetheless.
  • Options
    Just watched it again tonight, very good.  All the people involved made interesting  and seemingly honest dialogue. The music never sounds stale or dated. Such a sad story but lifted by the music that Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac gave.   
    Really enjoyed it too. The story of the psychedelic party that escalated Peter Green leaving the band and his mental illness was so powerful.

But, for me, the sadness of the words of "Man of the World" tell as much about the man's state of mind at that time as much as any programme will:

Shall I tell you about my life
    They say I'm a man of the world
    I've flown across every tide
    And I've seen lots of pretty girls

I guess I've got everything I need
    I wouldn't ask for more
    And there's no one I'd rather be
    But I just wish that I'd never been born  

Somewhat comforting was the fact that he lived long enough to come out the other side and was able to tell his story in a coherent manner and make music again 
  • Options
    That and the following programme on post PG Fleetwood Mac were a lovely way to spend an evening dozing off on the sofa.

Wonderful stuff from Greenie.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I use to have a tape of Peter Green and I think Fleetwood Mac im sure there was a picture of a dustbin on the cover.  Ive looked on itunes but the only album that seems to include the songs is the best of album. Does anybody know the name of the album with a dustbin?
  • Options
    Really enjoyed it too. The story of the psychedelic party that escalated Peter Green leaving the band and his mental illness was so powerful.

But, for me, the sadness of the words of "Man of the World" tell as much about the man's state of mind at that time as much as any programme will:

Shall I tell you about my life
    They say I'm a man of the world
    I've flown across every tide
    And I've seen lots of pretty girls

I guess I've got everything I need
    I wouldn't ask for more
    And there's no one I'd rather be
    But I just wish that I'd never been born  

Somewhat comforting was the fact that he lived long enough to come out the other side and was able to tell his story in a coherent manner and make music again 
    Sadly underlines the fact that mental illness can strike anybody.
    3 of my musical heroes succumbed - Peter Green, Brian Wilson and Syd Barrett.
    Seems astonishing now that back in the day they were crudely dismissed as "acid casualties" and bizarrely the tag carried with it some sort of warped kudos or "cool".
    In the case of Peter and Syd it seems that fame and celebrity may have been the catalyst, but their condition was greatly exacerbated by self-medication/experiment with non-prescription drugs, particularly hallucinogenics like LSD.
    I don't believe that any of the 3 had their condition formally diagnosed and treated at the onset by any legitimate medical expert.
    As you say, their is perhaps some comfort to be gained from the fact that Peter, and of course Brian Wilson, recovered sufficiently to make music again, but their mental deterioration and anguish is still plain to see.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I use to have a tape of Peter Green and I think Fleetwood Mac im sure there was a picture of a dustbin on the cover.  Ive looked on itunes but the only album that seems to include the songs is the best of album. Does anybody know the name of the album with a dustbin?

Fleetwood Mac (The Dog and Dustbin album) Details below.

http://www.britishbluesarchive.org.uk/Classic_Albums/Fleetwood_Mac/Fleetwood_Mac.php
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Raith_C_Chattonell many thanks (and I was starting to think that I’d made it up)