Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket question: how would you deal with this?

Comments

• Options
    5 run penalty and a stern talking to for the bowler.
  • Options
    Didn't even attempt to start running/leave the crease. Deserved.
  • Options
    Let the batsman have one swing at him with the bat except to the head or neck, obv. CL Law & Order in session!
  • Options
    With no context it's impossible to tell.  It was an exuberant attempt at a run out but one that wasn't likely to be successful.  If the bowler and batsman had already been exchanging hostilities and this was the culmination then the bowler is bang to rights
  • Options
    The laws were specifically changed to cover this sort of incident in 2017. 5-run penalty is correct, if any fielder (inc the bowler), "throw the ball at a player, umpire, or another person in an inappropriate or dangerous manner". It's a level 2 offence so 5-run penalty is automatic.
  • Options
    Umpire got it spot on in the letter of the law, but I would probably chuck in a warning that if he did it again he would be out of the attack for the rest of the match. 

I don't like run penalties, so few games are ever decided by 5 runs its a mockery.  Especially if you injured the batsman so he could not bat again in the match. 
  • Options
    I would make the bowler bowl an over of underarm
  • Options
    I would make the bowler bowl an over of underarm
    He'd just run it along the floor, a la Australia v NZ.
  • Options
    I would make the bowler bowl an over of underarm lollipop half-trackers
    See how the bowler likes having his bowling figures shredded.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    The laws were specifically changed to cover this sort of incident in 2017. 5-run penalty is correct, if any fielder (inc the bowler), "throw the ball at a player, umpire, or another person in an inappropriate or dangerous manner". It's a level 2 offence so 5-run penalty is automatic.
    Are there demerit points as well in county games?

In Test cricket demerit points for misconduct can quickly lead to a ban
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Umpire got it spot on in the letter of the law, but I would probably chuck in a warning that if he did it again he would be out of the attack for the rest of the match. 

I don't like run penalties, so few games are ever decided by 5 runs its a mockery.  Especially if you injured the batsman so he could not bat again in the match. 
    In club cricket, a level 2 report would see you missing the next two games.

• Options
    Pedro45 said:

I'm not umpiring at that level, so I cannot comment really. Demerit points, bans, etc are not for the umpires to comment on anyway; we just facilitate the game and report where it does not. The admin of what penalties are given following a report lies with the leagues/boards/ICC.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:

I'm not umpiring at that level, so I cannot comment really. Demerit points, bans, etc are not for the umpires to comment on anyway; we just facilitate the game and report where it does not. The admin of what penalties are given following a report lies with the leagues/boards/ICC.
    While some of the punishments seem a bit harsh, the concept of demerit points is a good one. A star player being banned from a key match is far more of a punishment than the match fee fine, seeing how well off many modern players are