Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your Charlton Career

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2020
    First game was in 1992 - against West Ham. Made my parents take me home at half time as I hated it so much (was only 5 years old).

Have been a season ticket holder from 1994 onwards. In that time I’ve been to 656 Charlton games (513 at The Valley, 143 away), across 85 different stadiums. I’ve been going with my Dad that entire time (with the exception of one boycott season for me, and two for him). 

Wembley 2019 was the greatest moment I’ve ever had following the club. The first time I’ve truly broke down in tears of happiness in my Dad’s arms after a Charlton goal. It was the moment we always dreamed of having.

Best ‘battle scars’ include Yeovil in the rain, and travelling by myself to Carlisle away in 2012 on my own for the promotion win.

Going into that game I was determined to not try and hedge bets on when we might secure promotion, but to actually be there to try and drive the team on to give them the best chance of getting it done that day. 7 hours each way on a coach on my jack!

Lee Bowyer’s Dad gave me and my Dad spare tickets on the door to get into Millwall away in the snow!

Have only seen us ‘abroad’ once - a friendly against UCD Dublin a couple of years ago.

No major regrets - but I wish I hadn’t missed out on seeing Chris Powell’s goal in his final game for us as a player. I also wish I had done more away journeys in the Premier League to the likes of Anfield, Old Trafford etc. I did them all once but maybe took them for granted that we would always be going there.
  • Options
    First game 1977 and a 4-1 defeat........
    Seen us play at Wembley three times
    Home games at three different grounds
    Didnt miss a home game at The Valley from 1983-2019
    Three complete seasons home and away
    Two trips to Italy for Anglo Italian Cup
    Been to all the play off games over the years home and away
  • Options
    My Charlton career?

Played: 0
    Scored: 0

Robinson fancied me, but only because I was fatter than him!
  • Options
    First match with my dad 1965.
    Too much to put here career wise.
    No regrets at all.
    Saves typing it all out ... 
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Next year will be my 35th year as a Charlton fan.  I started attending matches at Selhurst when I was seven.  

In that time I have:

- Watched us play at Wembley three times (1987, 1998 and 2019)

- Seen us play 'home' games at three different stadiums

- Seen us relegated and promoted (too many times to remember)

- Watched us play in Europe (FC Utrecht and Valencia in pre-season friendlies)

- Protested on the pitch

- Protested off the pitch

- Watched a game (and been entertained) in the Directors Box at The Valley

- Had two seasons not missing a single game (home and away in all competitions)

- Travelled over 250 miles to an evening away game only for it to be called off at kick-off time because of fog

- Witnessed countless injury time goals (mainly against us, but some for us)

- Missed an away game after being involved in a car crash on the M6

- Watch us play in another teams away kit because the colours clashed

- Arrived at a game at half time

- Seen us lose to a Non-League side

- Met some amazing people over the years that I am happy to call proper good mates

There are some things I regret, like not going to China when we played a couple of games out there a few years ago and booking an away trip to Preston rather than Carlisle when we won the league there in 2012 (I was convinced we would claim the title at Preston, I thought the Carlisle game would be too early).

What else makes up your Charlton 'career' and what regrets do you have about supporting our famous football club?

@Brendan_O_Connell Your CAFC “career” is ridiculously similar to mine. My first game was December 86 so nearing 34 years completed. Same trips to Wembley, same doing two seasons of every game home and away (amazing times), European trips slightly different - Limerick and Roda, got to a game at half time (Grimsby?) and even booked Preston instead of Carlisle which remains a big regret. Had a game in the directors box against QPR when Jackson scored in the last minute and met Chris Powell afterwards and got some fantastic drunken photos which I’ve since got signed by the great man. Also got our photo taken with Katrien that day which is another regret! 

I’d say that Wembley last year was the high point because I was with my son and my Dad to enjoy it. Hopefully some more high points to come.....
  • Options
    Forgot to mention repaired the Bolton Wanders Coach when it overheated, its was parked right alongside the pitch. Had to have it recovered to Belvedere. Did the head gaskets on it.
    Think they went home by train
  • Options
    60 years man and boy. Actually attended a couple of games about 5 years ago with 4 generations of my family. Since then my dad has passed away and my grandson has lost interest.
    Seen the 3 Wembley finals and spent many years travelling around the country watching Charlton get beat ( They rarely won an away game in the 70’s ).
    Biggest regret was wearing a velvet jacket to an away game at Blackburn, might as well have dressed as a pearly king. 
    Great memories, the best will always be 1998. Why we haven’t got a Curbishley statue is beyond me.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Next year will be my 358th year as a Charlton fan.  I started attending matches at Selhurst The Valley when I was seven.  

In that time I have:

- Protested on the pitch

- Travelled over 250 miles to an evening away game only for it to be called off at kick-off time because of fog

- Met some amazing people over the years that I am happy to call proper good mates

- been on each of Largeaddicks/Clive's war trips which have been superb.

- been a ball boy and watched my lad as mascot

- missed a whole game sat on the bogs in the North Stand with the skwits after a dodgy meal down Charlton Hill.

There are some things I regret, like not supporting Man City whom was my other Grandad's team! 😀

Not too dissimilar to yours.
  • Options
    HandG said:

Next year will be my 35th year as a Charlton fan.  I started attending matches at Selhurst when I was seven.  

In that time I have:

- Protested on the pitch

There are some things I regret, like not going to China when we played a couple of games out there a few years ago and booking an away trip to Preston rather than Carlisle when we won the league there in 2012 (I was convinced we would claim the title at Preston, I thought the Carlisle game would be too early).

What else makes up your Charlton 'career' and what regrets do you have about supporting our famous football club?

@Brendan_O_Connell Your CAFC “career” is ridiculously similar to mine. My first game was December 86 so nearing 34 years completed. Same trips to Wembley, same doing two seasons of every game home and away (amazing times), European trips slightly different - Limerick and Roda, got to a game at half time (Grimsby?) and even booked Preston instead of Carlisle which remains a big regret. Had a game in the directors box against QPR when Jackson scored in the last minute and met Chris Powell afterwards and got some fantastic drunken photos which I’ve since got signed by the great man. Also got our photo taken with Katrien that day which is another regret! 

I’d say that Wembley last year was the high point because I was with my son and my Dad to enjoy it. Hopefully some more high points to come.....
    Forgot to mention being mascot in Curbishley’s first game in charge (and the first game at Upton Park) and my boy being mascot years later in a home game vs Rotherham during the Guy Luzon era. My main memory was Carl Leaburn giving me a set of tie ups as my socks kept falling down,  and my son remembers Steve Evans giving him a biscuit. 
  • Options
    HandG said:
    HandG said:

In that time I have:

- Protested on the pitch

Forgot to mention being mascot in Curbishley’s first game in charge (and the first game at Upton Park) and my boy being mascot years later in a home game vs Rotherham during the Guy Luzon era. My main memory was Carl Leaburn giving me a set of tie ups as my socks kept falling down,  and my son remembers Steve Evans giving him a biscuit. 
    You just know that Evans had eaten 10 packets beforehand. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Early 1958, aged 10.
  • Options
    62/63 season. First game lost at home to Leeds, like many on here I've suffered all the low points & thoroughly enjoyed the considerably less highs. My favourite season was 68/69 although there was no promotion we played some really exciting football under Eddie Firmani. 
  • Options
    First game 77/78 season I think, take to Brisbane Road by the Cubs to see them play Orient, abandoned at half time when 0-0 due to a waterlogged pitch!

Taken to a few games at the Valley in the late 70s and early 80s by my parents as the local ground, rather than because I actually supported Charlton. Either standing on the East terrace or sitting in the West stand. I always followed Charlton's results though, and can remember reading the local paper about the Hales/Flanagan fight or the Nelson/Bailey managerial situation.

Listening to the 87 playoff replay on the radio was what fully converted me

The first game I went to as an adult, to actually support Charlton was Battle of the Bridge in 1988  :D

I went to a small number of games before then, but the "breakthrough" game for me was the 3-1 FA Cup win over Barnet at Upton Park in January 92. I then went to nearly all the home games that season, and got my first season ticket the following season. 

That 91/92 team is still dear to me, and I mourn the loss of Upton Park too

Moved to the East Stand in August 94 and basically had the same seat since

Bought some shares, and was presented with my certificate on the pitch, the only time I've been on the pitch, it's too far from the back of the East stand  :D

Not been to Europe to see Charlton play, but did see us draw 2-2 at The New Den in the Anglo Italian Cup  ;)

• Options
    edited August 2020
    When I was younger I never really had a team, followed the teams my parents supported but never found a club I really fell in love with. That all changed when I came to the Valley for the first time on 31st March 2007 to watch Charlton v Wigan.

Went up with my football team, and as we were a large group we had tickets in the Jimmy Seed stand. Bit of a shite game which we won due to a late Darren Bent penalty, but as soon as I arrived I knew I'd finally found my club.

Been a season ticket holder on and off for the past 10 years sitting in either West Upper or Lower as I'm a boring sod who likes to sit and silence and drink tea whilst watching football.

We've had few highs during my time as a fan, but a fair amount of lows. Highlights being winning League 1 with Sir Chris at the helm and the home leg v Doncaster last season. Never experienced emotions like that before and doubt I ever will again. 

The best moment for me has to be the play off final. 94th minute winner then getting the train home and having a brilliant night out with my non Charlton supporting mates singing Charlton songs.

What a club.
  • Options
    HandG said:
    HandG said:

In that time I have:

- Protested on the pitch

I'm amazed Steve Evans had a biscuit left to give him............
  • Options
    My first game was at Selhurst vs Chelsea in 1989. A 3 0 win with Morts scoring an amazing goal and I loved his celebration too. I was a boyhood Liverpool fan as all good Home Counties lads were in the 1980s. That game sowed the seed in my head that Charlton were a better proposition and by the start of the 1990/91 season I had swapped league title glory with Liverpool for relegation with Charlton. Thirty years on and after my Anfield defection they have finally won the league again and lo and behold, just like thirty years ago we went down. 

I was instantly hooked and although my first season of watching us coincided with a club record 10 straight league defeats I just loved watching us. If 1990/91 wasn't your first season then I doubt you recall anything about it but I can recall every detail. My first away game was at the Goldstone for a 3 2 defeat and I have done hundreds of away games since, seeing us at well over 100 grounds, plus trips to Dublin (X2) and Belgium. 

I once slept rough after an away game at Newcastle (a midweek FA cup defeat) and went straight into work the following morning back in London. I think the train left Newcastle about 05:00. The train fare was a week's wages. Mark Robson's goal made it all worthwhile.

I have done every away game in a season (2006/07) but never every home game. Since relegation to League One in 2009 I have swapped the North Upper for the West Upper, then Lower, then East and now bring my daughter with me (first game v Bury in 2017, lost 1 0). She has clocked up over 20 games and was at Wembley last year. I embarrassed her by taking my top off when we won. She says "we" when  talking about Charlton so that will do for me.

I had an article printed in the programme last season v Blackburn which was a proud moment for me. Overall I am so glad i picked Charlton to support, I just wish we had been in a cup semi final (a final seems too much to ask) in the time I've been going. My mum was born in June 1947 and although she's in great nick she's also a walking testament to the fact that we haven't been to even a semi final since she's been around. 
  • Options

Next year will be my 53rd year as a Charlton fan.  I started attending matches at The Valley when I was ten.  

In that time I have:

- Seen us relegated eight times and and promoted seven times 

- Watched us play away in Europe in a competitive match (Ancona - Anglo-Italian cup)

- Watched Charlton play away at over 100 different league grounds

- Protested on the pitch

- Watched a game from the Directors Box at The Den (old), and Abbey Stadium

- Had one season not missing a single game (home and away - 46 games in all competitions in 1984)

- Presented a player (Shaun Newton) with his Internet Player of the month prize on the Valley pitch

- Worked as a tray-boy at the Valley for two seasons

- Missed an away game after missing a train (3-3 draw at Grimsby)

- Arrived at a home game ten minutes from the end due to train problems

- Never seen us lose to a Non-League side

- Seen two of our own players punch each other mid-game

- Been threatened by the police for shouting to loudly (Ipswich) and flattened by a police horse for walking back to the station (Coventry)

- Met some other absolute idiots over the years that I am happy to know as Charlton fans

• Options
    @ricky_otto omitted to add:-

Wanting Elfsborg to front a rather large man at Bury away.

@blackpool72 can confirm I took the sensible approach.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    @clb74 does not have his phone on charge so has asked me to post this.
    Fleetwood away was fun spending 15 hours getting up there on a coach from Bromley.
    Enjoyed the 0-0 away to Bradford under Robinson having liked the pre-match p*** up.
    Got a headache at the Coventry home game when a plastic pig hit me on the head.
    Was p***** off at Chesterfield having fallen up the stairs at the station, my mates laughed at me.
    I once smiled at a game and was asked if I am suffering from wind.

• Options
    Fleetwood away was fun spending 15 hours getting up there on a coach from Bromley.
    Enjoyed the 0-0 away to Bradford under Robinson having liked the pre-match p*** up.
    Got a headache at the Coventry home game when a plastic pig hit him on head.
    Was p***** off at Chesterfield having fallen up the stairs at the station, my mates laughed at me.

All correct apart from the last bit. More chance of our relegation being wiped than him smiling. 
  • Options
    Got a headache at the Coventry home game when a plastic pig hit him on head.

All correct apart from the last bit. More chance of our relegation being wiped than him smiling. 
    This is true.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    1,137 games (I don't include friendlies) since 1982.
    730 at home (W331 D189 L210) 
    407 away (W114 D90 L203)

Seen us most v QPR & Middlesbrough = 28 times each.

Seen us most away at QPR =15 times

Most away wins at Swindon = 7 times out of 11

Least away wins = never seen us win at Everton, Liverpool or Ipswich despite going there 7 times each. 

First home win = Leicester City January 1983 2-1 (Simonsen 2)

First away win = Fulham December 1983 1-0 (Paul Curtis - YAY!) 

Big games missed;

Away to Chelsea 1-1 (Paul Miller)

1st game back at The Valley v Portsmouth (couldn't get a ticket), 

Play off semi away to Ipswich 1998

Favourite game; play off v Leeds at St Andrews

Favourite thrashing; 1-5 away to Man City 1985 

Best ground; the old St James' Park, Newcastle (with the open terracing)

Least favourite; Kenilworth Road (by some distance!) 

Brilliant level of detail - have you kept records since the first game? 
  • Options
    My Dad first took me in the 1961/62 season. I was fascinated by the shirts of Charlton, white with a red flash on the shoulders. The smell of old Holborn, roasted peanuts and putting the half time scores up on boards. The archaic toilet facilities and the huge East terracing. From my first match I was hooked. It is a habit I have been unable to break in the next nearly sixty years.
  • Options
    Anyone remember the the boys who used to walk around the pitch at half time with the golden goal numbers chalked up on a blackboard? They had to hide behind the board as a lot of the younger kids at the front of the terraces would throw things at them. I never threw anything of course.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    My Dad first took me in the 1961/62 season. I was fascinated by the shirts of Charlton, white with a red flash on the shoulders. The smell of old Holborn, roasted peanuts and putting the half time scores up on boards. The archaic toilet facilities and the huge East terracing. From my first match I was hooked. It is a habit I have been unable to break in the next nearly sixty years.
    Yeh, same season for me @dickplumb (ps that red flash kit didn't arrive until the following season)
    My uncle (did I mention before he was Harry Lennon's grandad  ;) ) took me to the Easter game against Bristol Rovers. 
    Sam Lawrie and Stuart Leary scored, although I can only remember one of the goals now.
  • Options
     On the halfway line surrounded by blue shite for the 2 nil in the snow and managed to start torrent of abuse for Fuchs for missing a chance. Never left a ground feeling livelier. St Andrews was bigger than anything else but was young then and Wembley 3 with the kids of an age to really get it was very fine indeed.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I started out an Arsenal fan. I used to go with my dad from 1971. My Grandfather retired and spent more time with me. This included fishing and never catching any fish, and taking me football. Went to see us draw 1-1 with Millwall in 1975 at the Den and again the next season. I think the idea was to watch Millwall but I told him I preferred the Red team and we started going to the Valley. I recall my first game at the Valley was a 3-1 home win against Blackpool.

We used to go regularly for a couple of years until he got ill and died in 1980. He wasn't a Charlton fan but he really enjoyed going. I recall watching the Hales v Flanagan punch up and I felt like crying but he couldn't stop laughing. He was a sailor in the Royal Navy and had a great sense of humour. As a child I loved spending time with him. And I am a Charlton fan because of him, Ernest Smith.

Not criticising my parents, it was different then, but when I played football, I only recall him watching me.