Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Explosion in Beirut

Comments

• Options
    Lebanese President has blamed 2750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate that had been left unchecked in a warehouse for over 6 years. An incredibly volatile and flammable substance, and no one checked it for over half a decade- negligence of the highest order.
  • Options
    Mother owns a boat and next to the marina is a warehouse housing tanker sized boatloads of Ammonium nitrate. She has balloted the local MP and council about the danger of having such a material so close to residential homes. There are regulations but money talks and rules walk. A side issues is the stuff blows across the town and locals say is causes breathing problems and the ash corrodes paintwork where it settles. This could happen in the UK (if Ammonium nitrate is found to be the cause). 

BBC news is reporting an Ammonium nitrate store that has been there since 2014, is the expected fuel for the blast.  
    Where does your mother live Paul?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    RIP to the dozens of people who have lost their lives in this incident.  It appears that the blast was the result of ammonium nitrate/sodium nitrate exploding.  2,750 tons of the chemical had been offloaded in the port a few months ago and the ship was still in port awaiting an auction of the chemicals.  

Why that quantity of highly explosive chemicals would be stored in a populous city and in a warehouse complex also used to store fireworks, I have no idea.  

Literally a disaster waiting to happen.  
    The location of the port is largely geographical.  There's actually a very narrow strip of land, bordering the sea, on which a number of port cities grew up under the Phoenicians (including Beirut, Tyre, Sidon, Byblos and Tripoli).

These ports are at the centre of most of these cities, and are fairly small.

There is neither the space, nor has there been the financial or political impetus to create a modern port facility.

I understand the fertiliser was impounded from an illegal shipment.  Short of storing it in a third country, until the fertiliser was sold/used, there was nowhere else to keep it.
  • Options
    Would have been better to use it as say fertiliser? 

Terrible blast though, I’m sure there will be many more dead and wounded than currently reported and I hope it’s not as bad as it looks. 

Beirut has seen some shitty times o we the last 30 odd years and surely they must be due a break soon. 
  • Options
    Would have been better to use it as say fertiliser? 

Terrible blast though, I’m sure there will be many more dead and wounded than currently reported and I hope it’s not as bad as it looks. 

Beirut has seen some shitty times o we the last 30 odd years and surely they must be due a break soon. 
    I agree that the fertiliser could and should have been used if at all possible, but even in the UK the legal processes around impounded goods are not always that speedy.

Lebanon is a beautiful country, populated by marvellous people, sadly however it's governed by just about the only political elites that manage to make HMG look good, and who are even more corrupt than last weekend's "honours".
  • Options
    Oh look, here come the conspiracy theories.
    Yes I'm sure there was nothing untoward about it. Just a fireworks accident.
  • Options
    I heard it was the EFL that staged it with the help of the mainstream media, just to deflect attention away from the Wigan/Sheff Wed fiasco.

Well, that's no crazier than some of the other bizarre conspiracy theories people make up/believe when this sort of thing happens.
  • Options
    There will be many more people dead than announced so far, a blast of that magnitude probably vaporised a lot of things, and probably human beings, in the near vicinity. RIP to all the victims so far and I hope that already ravaged part of the world can soldier on through
  • Options
    Terrible tragedy for this country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh look, it wasn't Israel but hey the Corbyn cult had already decided who was responsible.

• Options
    Wtf does this have to do with Corbyn ? Anyone politicising this needs to give there head a wobble... what ever team you support. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Just to confirm, all I was doing was highlighting this was not simply a firework warehouse going up. No politics, just an interest in explosions, blast radiuses and what might cause them. No more.

The 2750 tons of ammonium nitrate in an insecure environment, I can believe that this would do it. I have seen thousands of videos of explosions, it was clear that this was not *just* fireworks. As it now seems people are admitting to. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just to confirm, all I was doing was highlighting this was not simply a firework warehouse going up. No politics, just an interest in explosions, blast radiuses and what might cause them. No more.

The 2750 tons of ammonium nitrate in an insecure environment, I can believe that this would do it. I have seen thousands of videos of explosions, it was clear that this was not *just* fireworks. As it now seems people are admitting to. 
    Interesting. I was involved in the technical discussions re the large fire down at Andover a couple of years ago, where we had installed a moderately size Ammonia Refrigeration plant, the blast radius there was calculated at around 1 mile and the Police evacuated to this (stress this is from memory,) whilst admittedly this was not ammonium nitrate, but pure Liquid / gas ammonia I assume this has would similar explosion characteristics. I often wondered if the vessels had blown what the destruction would have been. I wasn’t at site as my knowledge was deemed to critical and I had to be on the phone at home for 48 hours almost non stop working with my extremely brave our engineers, police / fire brigade/ client. As it happened these very brave people put there life’s at risk and we emptied out 21/4 tons in 48 hours with only 1/4 ton being incinerated when a part of the structure collapsed, in the end the only part of the factory left standing was our plant room with the vessel on the roof. Everything else burnt down.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

that's you flagged up on an Mi5 database 
    It's okay, as we've seen they always seem to ignore those they are aware of. 

Plus I have no religious or political agenda, so everyone is safe. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    shine166 said:
    Wtf does this have to do with Corbyn ? Anyone politicising this needs to give there head a wobble... what ever team you support. 
    Go on twitter and see Aaron Bastini and the rest of the cult jumping to that conclusion plus the usual suspects on here.

You're right, anyone trying to politicising it needs to give therir  head  a wobble so read the early posts on this thread jumping to conclusions, throwing politicised conspiracy theories out there and giving out LOLs
    I just Googled the words "Beirut Israel" on Twitter (not together in quotation marks, just in the search bar) and the amount of misinformation or bollocks speculation is mind-blowing.

You have "Israel supporter", "Yankees fan" and "Conservative Christian" Carmine Sabia saying the reports are that Israel struck a Hezbollah factory. You have Veterans Today saying "Israel Nukes Beirut" (lol what). You have Aaron Bastani speculating like a prick about thermobaric weapons. And so on, so forth.

(Not once have I seen Corbyn mentioned on social media, by the way, except on here. It's incredibly rich to preach about politicisation and then out of nowhere get in a jab at Corbyn.)

You also have both governments denying any Israeli involvement; Israel offering humanitarian aid; and the so-far generally accepted and logical explanation of a terrible catastrophe that saw thousands of tonnes of highly explosive fertiliser go up after being stored improperly.

This whole thing is shit, and everyone on here and on other social media would do well not to run their mouths.
    i might be wrong but i think by "Corbyn cult" Henry was referring to the labour supporters who baselessly brought Israeli involvement into the discussion in the first place as that's the sort of shit Corbyn let fly when he was leader of the Labour party.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    shine166 said:
    Go on twitter and see Aaron Bastini and the rest of the cult jumping to that conclusion plus the usual suspects on here.

You're right, anyone trying to politicising it needs to give therir  head  a wobble so read the early posts on this thread jumping to conclusions, throwing politicised conspiracy theories out there and giving out LOLs
      You have Aaron Bastani speculating like a prick about thermobaric weapons. And so on, so forth.

That will be Aaron Bastini of Novaramedia, leading mouthpiece of the Corbyn cult
  • Options
    shine166 said:

I'm alright, definitely won't be searching out stuff to be offended by. Everything is a conspiracy now days anyway !
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    shine166 said:

I just Googled the words "Beirut Israel" on Twitter (not together in quotation marks, just in the search bar) and the amount of misinformation or bollocks speculation is mind-blowing.

You have "Israel supporter", "Yankees fan" and "Conservative Christian" Carmine Sabia saying the reports are that Israel struck a Hezbollah factory. You have Veterans Today saying "Israel Nukes Beirut" (lol what). You have Aaron Bastani speculating like a prick about thermobaric weapons. And so on, so forth.

(Not once have I seen Corbyn mentioned on social media, by the way, except on here. It's incredibly rich to preach about politicisation and then out of nowhere get in a jab at Corbyn.)

You also have both governments denying any Israeli involvement; Israel offering humanitarian aid; and the so-far generally accepted and logical explanation of a terrible catastrophe that saw thousands of tonnes of highly explosive fertiliser go up after being stored improperly.

This whole thing is shit, and everyone on here and on other social media would do well not to run their mouths.
    i might be wrong but i think by "Corbyn cult" Henry was referring to the labour supporters who baselessly brought Israeli involvement into the discussion in the first place as that's the sort of shit Corbyn let fly when he was leader of the Labour party.
    Absolutely nobody on this thread had mentioned Corbyn until Henry did.
    and at no point have i suggested otherwise, read my post again.
  • Options
    Yup. Which set off the chemicals. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    JamesSeed said:
    That had been incorrectly stored. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    That had been incorrectly stored. 
    Having worked quite a lot in Beirut it doesn’t surprise me at all.