Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New front door.

We want to get a new Victorian style front door. Today I was quoted £3500 for a made to measure one. 
After I got up from fainting I told the guy I’d let him know tomorrow.
Is that a good price? I haven’t a clue what the going rate is.

Comments

• Options
    3.5k seems a bit rich. Door should be about £1k, fitted should be max price of about ,£2k, but then I am in West Sussex.

May be worth posting here for recommendations.

Https://forum.charltonlife.com/group/12-marketplace
  • Options
    That’s what I thought. About £2k, still a lot of money though.
  • Options
    £3.5k is too expensive  (although it depends on how big the front door is!) you should be looking at £2.5k max inc fitting. 
  • Options
    They’re bloody expensive, when we moved into our new house I wanted one. Once I saw the cost (I honestly thought it would be a few hundred quid) decided to just repaint the existing door!
  • Options
    Sounds too high to me but then we were quoted £17k for a replacement porch.  Needless to say we still have the old one in situ until we get a fair price.
    Today been quoted nearly £6k for fitted wardrobes in one bedroom.  Pretty much just 3 full height wardrobes with fascias etc. Andy that's just to supply - fitting is extra!
    Where do these people get their prices from?
  • Options
    addix said:
    Sounds too high to me but then we were quoted £17k for a replacement porch.  Needless to say we still have the old one in situ until we get a fair price.
    Today been quoted nearly £6k for fitted wardrobes in one bedroom.  Pretty much just 3 full height wardrobes with fascias etc. Andy that's just to supply - fitting is extra!
    Was it Sharps that quoted on the wardrobes? If so just wait until their next sale when they will offer massive discounts. Bizarre business model. 
  • Options
    addix said:
    Where abouts do you live. I can recommend a guy, charlton supporter too.
  • Options
    addix said:
    Is that for the fitted wardrobes? We’re in the market for that too.
  • Options
    3.5 grand for a door, at that price I’d expect a doorman thrown in!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    addix said:
    Have you won the lottery Iain?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    addix said:
    Yes, he fitted L shaped wardrobes. 3 double hanging, 1 fully shelved and a hanging with drawers for just over 2k. Pm me if you want his details
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    iainment said:
    addix said:
    No. It’s my pension lump sums from a couple of employments being put to use.
    If I won the lottery I wouldn’t be fitting new doors in Plumstead!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I spoke to my son who is a door/window fitter. His advice is as follows.

£3,500 is expensive but it could genuinely cost that depending on a number of issues: the quality and make of the door, whether you're getting sidelights or toplights fitted, whether the fitting will cause issues to surrounding areas that have to be put right - most often the flooring by the door, whether the old door will 'be a bastard to get out'. He said he'd normally expect it to be in the £1,500 to £3,000 range depending on what you're getting, but that £3,500 might not be unreasonable.

His advice: Get a couple of quotes from smaller, Fensa registered, companies. Do not under any circumstances use Everest who always overcharge.  Do not under any circumstances use Crystal, whose consistently shoddy work, provides my son with most of his business.
    This was the London Door Company. The doors look fantastic and are probably worth it.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    iainment said:
    clb74 said:
    iainment said:
    addix said:
    Ahem!  Iainment, if you won the lottery you'd be buying Charlton right?  The ground and training ground bit, not the £1 bit. I'm buying that, just gotta move to Manchester!
  • Options
    Where are you based? Used a good firm in Eltham
  • Options
    I too also thought front doors were a couple of hundred quid up until a few weeks ago. The in laws got a new one fitted and tbh its pretty smart and that was nearly 2.5k.
  • Options
    Plumstead
  • Options
    iainment said:
    clb74 said:
    iainment said:
    addix said:
    Ahem!  Iainment, if you won the lottery you'd be buying Charlton right?  The ground and training ground bit, not the £1 bit. I'm buying that, just gotta move to Manchester!
    I’d love to but I’d only have half of any winnings.
    So I’d have to win a mega jackpot.
  • Options
    When you say Victorian, do you want a wooden door or composite?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    £3,500, bloody hell my dad's house only cost him £1.200 new.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    We want to get a new Victorian style front door. Today I was quoted £3500 for a made to measure one. 
    Why not nick one.🧐
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Why not nick one.🧐
    Who/where from?

Will you be the getaway driver?
  • Options
    Preferably wood.
  • Options
    I paid £2k for a good composite door 6 years ago if that helps. It had security bolts that extended into all four sides of the frame when locked making it very hard to get past. 100% draft proof including the letter box and a 10 year warrenty.

After they had fitted the frame the price included re-plastering where it got damaged and installing a new censor for the security system for the door entry/exit.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Plumstead
    We used 

https://www.diamondglasslimited.co.uk/

I was happy but get 2 or 3 quotes though to be safe.
  • Options
    Hi all,

this is why I love this site

many thanks

Iain
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    https://www.justvaluedoors.co.uk/composite-doors.html

Composite doors, but good value

Edit: sorry, they don’t usually cover SE18, but it’s just down the road from a DA postcode so might be worth giving them a call
  • Options
    I paid £2k for a good composite door 6 years ago if that helps. It had security bolts that extended into all four sides of the frame when locked making it very hard to get past. 100% draft proof including the letter box and a 10 year warrenty.

After they had fitted the frame the price included re-plastering where it got damaged and installing a new censor for the security system for the door entry/exit.
    Thats a very fair price for all that work.
    3.5 k for a wooden door seems a lot to me but its most  likely the width is an issue and will involve a lot more than just rendering. Sounds like a solid wood for that price too id hope...you would be surprised how much the price can change just for the door alone depending on type of wood.
    Victorian style doors look lovely but for security they are a no no.
    Get a few more local quotes as advised already ian

• Options
    iainment said:
    Preferably wood.
    A quote from our kid.  "Even a cheap wafty plastic door is always better than wood, big difference in insulation".