Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pards on Welling game

edited July 2007 in General Charlton
Pardew to field strong squad against Wings
by By Matthew Panting

Welling United v Charlton Athletic

CHARLTON fans should get to see many of the club's summer signings during their first pre-season game at Welling on Wednesday night.

The Addicks are expected to field a much stronger squad this season after Iain Dowie sent a largely second-string squad to Park View Road last summer.

Charlton manager Alan Pardew confirmed on Tuesday: "I'm aware that there will be a lot of Charlton fans at Welling and they will want to see our new signings so I'm going to take most of them to that game."

That means £2.5million striker Luke Varney is in line to play along with the likes of goalkeeper Nicky Weaver, striker Svetoslav Todorov, French defender Yassin Moutaouakil and the evergreen Chris Powell.

New Welling boss Neil Smith, who played under Pardew at Reading, has revealed that he will not take part in the game and intends to take the opportunity to look at a number of prospective signings.

"It's a fantastic game for the supporters and everyone at the club," said Smith. "I'm not going to play because I want to have a look at the players.

"We don't expect to win but we do expect us to give a right good go and see what our players have got about them."

Tickets are still available from the ground in advance or from the turnstiles on the evening, call 020 8301 1196 for more details. Kick-off is 7.30pm.

Comments

• Options
    Good fan management by Pards as always.
  • Options
    Get a few that were ummming and ahhhing about it to get down there certainly!
  • Options
    What no Iwelumo?
  • Options
    notice Luke Young fails to get a mention in the possible squad make -ups. Interesting ?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]What no Iwelumo?[/quote]

He's playing in the Tooting match.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]notice Luke Young fails to get a mention in the possible squad make -ups. Interesting ?

i said that to the missus when i read it on the OS. Good luck to him if we get a decent fee.