Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Maths

I always like to learn something new and have decided it's time I learnt Calculus and Algebra. I knew enough to pass my Maths O level many years ago, but whatever I knew has since departed the old grey matter. Now, I don't even know the difference between Calculus and Algebra.

I know Charlton Life always comes up trumps with the many knowledgable people on here, so I wondered if anyone had any good recommendations: Websites, apps, videos, books, exercises etc.

Thanks. 

Comments

• I've been watching an inordinate amount of numberblocks with my son lately. 
    Looks about my level, cheers!
  • edited August 2020
    I’m currently studying ACCA, I’m on paper 9 of 13, paper 9 is financial management, there is plenty of algebra involved.

Despite already failing this exam and studying towards the retake I am actually enjoying it, using algebra to work out optimum capital levels and order quantities for businesses.

Apparently this stuff is used by treasures managers/accountants involved in investments, so the old saying that “what use is algebra when you leave school!” is actually nonsense!
    It is absolutely nonsense, I agree.
    I use algebra very often in solving problems, and also trigonometry - less so calculus.
    It always amazes me how much of it I have retained in the 40+ years since I was last taught. Testament to my teachers and lecturers.     
  • Thanks very much for the recommendations @MattF, I guess an issue for me at this stage (though also an advantage in a way), is that I don't have any real reason to learn it. It's literally learning for learning's sake. I'm not pushed into Linear or Abstract because my work demands it, it's just whatever I want. From that perspective maybe Linear would be better for me based on your recommendation that it's easier.  
  • Stig said:
    Thanks very much for the recommendations @MattF, I guess an issue for me at this stage (though also an advantage in a way), is that I don't have any real reason to learn it. It's literally learning for learning's sake. I'm not pushed into Linear or Abstract because my work demands it, it's just whatever I want. From that perspective maybe Linear would be better for me based on your recommendation that it's easier.  
    Abstract Algebra is pretty bizarre and I didn't really enjoy it whereas Calculus and Linear Algebra were lots of fun. They're also much more computational which is an advantage for looking into them first
  • bobmunro said:
    I’m currently studying ACCA, I’m on paper 9 of 13, paper 9 is financial management, there is plenty of algebra involved.

Despite already failing this exam and studying towards the retake I am actually enjoying it, using algebra to work out optimum capital levels and order quantities for businesses.

Apparently this stuff is used by treasures managers/accountants involved in investments, so the old saying that “what use is algebra when you leave school!” is actually nonsense!
    I use algebra very often in solving problems, and also trigonometry - less so calculus.
    It's always amazes me how much of it I have retained in the 40+ years since I was last taught. Testament to my teachers and lecturers.     
    I use quite a lot of set theory in what I do - and there's a huge amount of trigonometry in tasks like DIY. I remember being inordinately proud of myself a few years back when I solved a relatively vexing large scale randomisation problem for antivirus updates from multiple distribution points using the same prime number distribution model that periodical cicadas use. Nobody else on the team gave a shit, the only person who was interested was some nerdy Moldovan bloke on the software dev team. I'm so dull.
  • bobmunro said:

It's always amazes me how much of it I have retained in the 40+ years since I was last taught. Testament to my teachers and lecturers.     
    I use quite a lot of set theory in what I do - and there's a huge amount of trigonometry in tasks like DIY. I remember being inordinately proud of myself a few years back when I solved a relatively vexing large scale randomisation problem for antivirus updates from multiple distribution points using the same prime number distribution model that periodical cicadas use. Nobody else on the team gave a shit, the only person who was interested was some nerdy Moldovan bloke on the software dev team. I'm so dull.
    Turn it on and off twice? (sorry mate, couldn't resist it)
  • Trigonometry, I struggled at school basically because I wasn't interested. I got a job in engineering and had to take all maths seriously and then computers with CAD programs came along and have allowed me to regress back to not caring again.   
    I actually enjoyed maths at college but I think it was probably down to the skill of the lecturer rather than me having any gift for it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

I believe the cicada problem is more complex than that. Turn it off, then turn it on 13 years later.
  • I've got a calculator that spells boobless if it helps? 
  • Have struggled with Maths all my life, Not everyday Maths but the stuff that scientist / Engineer use. 
    When i went to Secondary the Maths teachers were a quietly spoken Greek,and a bombastic  Ex Army Major.  I got the Ex-Army Major, Maths turned into an absolute nightmare!. 

Often wondered how i would have got on if i had had the Greek chap.
  • If you would rather learn from a book than endless Youtube videos, try these:

Calculus had people worried in 1910, not just now. Good luck!

• Have struggled with Maths all my life, Not everyday Maths but the stuff that scientist / Engineer use. 
    When i went to Secondary the Maths teachers were a quietly spoken Greek,and a bombastic  Ex Army Major.  I got the Ex-Army Major, Maths turned into an absolute nightmare!. 

Did you go to the Poly? Charlie Kostaris (the softly spoken Greek) and Nobby Clark the ex- Major and viscious bastard!! 
  • bobmunro said:
    Have struggled with Maths all my life, Not everyday Maths but the stuff that scientist / Engineer use. 

Did you go to the Poly? Charlie Kostaris (the softly spoken Greek) and Nobby Clark the ex- Major and viscious bastard!! 

• bobmunro said:
    Have struggled with Maths all my life, Not everyday Maths but the stuff that scientist / Engineer use. 

Yes went to Woolwich Poly in McBean St , Now remember the Greek chap, never forgot that nasty piece of work Clark. Some lads did OK with him, but if you did not get first time , tough.
  • I've had to look at the BBC Bitesize website to help with my 10 year old sons homework. It's useful for the basics, or out of touch. 
  • MattF said:
    For Calculus, I'd recommend Robert Adams & Christopher Essex's Calculus: A complete course, usually you can find some older editions for a couple of quid on Ebay. Thick heavy book but very comprehensive. Also recommend William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima, Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems as a second option. Calculus is split between differential and integral calculus, and this book covers the former. Differential calculus is used to find the rate of change of a quantity, whereas integral calculus finds the quantity when you know it's rate of change.

For Algebra, you'd need to know which branch of Maths you are thinking about. There's Linear Algebra which covers vector spaces and linear mappings, or Abstract Algebra, which covers Groups, Rings and Fields. I found Linear Algebra much easier to study so would recommend that over Abstract. Linear Algebra by Seymour Lipschutz and Marc Lipson is a good one for that, as it's full of worked solutions which are hard to find open source. They also have a similar book on Vector Calculus if that becomes of interest.

If you're interested in Abstract Algebra I'd start with C.W.Norman, Undergraduate Algebra: A First Course and J.J.Rotman, A First Course in Abstract Algebra. Not sure how easy they are to get hold off as only ever checked them out a library, but they were helpful. Will add some more later with things that aren't just books. Recommend Mathologer on YouTube (and Flammable Maths for some interesting/strange worked problems), but would avoid Numberphile who felt it was OK to "prove" that the sum of every positive number equaled -1/12

I did my dissertation on abstract algebra and still have a text book from John B Fraleigh which I recommend. Will probably find it easy enough online. Although I enjoyed that topic I hated Topography, may have been due to the lecturers. 
  • Stig said:
    I always like to learn something new and have decided it's time I learnt Calculus and Algebra. I knew enough to pass my Maths O level many years ago, but whatever I knew has since departed the old grey matter. Now, I don't even know the difference between Calculus and Algebra.

I know Charlton Life always comes up trumps with the many knowledgable people on here, so I wondered if anyone had any good recommendations: Websites, apps, videos, books, exercises etc.

Thanks. 
    PM me @Stig
    I teach IB Higher maths so could probably sort some stuff for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Puzzle solving...Sir Issac Newton style!

Plenty of apps to download. They will help.

I've got a calculus book on my phone kindle but not reading it at present. Other things are in the way.

I was really interested in quantum mechanics a few months ago. 
  • Stig said:
    bobmunro said:

I believe the cicada problem is more complex than that. Turn it off, then turn it on 13 years later.
    If you've got multiple servers, turn one off and on again 13 years later, another off and on 7 years later and a third off and then on again 17 years later... 
  • MattF said:
    For Calculus, I'd recommend Robert Adams & Christopher Essex's Calculus: A complete course, usually you can find some older editions for a couple of quid on Ebay. Thick heavy book but very comprehensive. Also recommend William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima, Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems as a second option. Calculus is split between differential and integral calculus, and this book covers the former. Differential calculus is used to find the rate of change of a quantity, whereas integral calculus finds the quantity when you know it's rate of change.

For Algebra, you'd need to know which branch of Maths you are thinking about. There's Linear Algebra which covers vector spaces and linear mappings, or Abstract Algebra, which covers Groups, Rings and Fields. I found Linear Algebra much easier to study so would recommend that over Abstract. Linear Algebra by Seymour Lipschutz and Marc Lipson is a good one for that, as it's full of worked solutions which are hard to find open source. They also have a similar book on Vector Calculus if that becomes of interest.

If you're interested in Abstract Algebra I'd start with C.W.Norman, Undergraduate Algebra: A First Course and J.J.Rotman, A First Course in Abstract Algebra. Not sure how easy they are to get hold off as only ever checked them out a library, but they were helpful. Will add some more later with things that aren't just books. Recommend Mathologer on YouTube (and Flammable Maths for some interesting/strange worked problems), but would avoid Numberphile who felt it was OK to "prove" that the sum of every positive number equaled -1/12

I did my dissertation on abstract algebra and still have a text book from John B Fraleigh which I recommend. Will probably find it easy enough online. Although I enjoyed that topic I hated Topography, may have been due to the lecturers. 
    I had the same problem with my lecturers in abstract algebra, bit of a shame really
  • Stig said:

Thanks. 
    If you're starting from scratch, I think you could do worse than check out the Khan academy YT videos - quite well structured. I found them helpful all the way up to degree level maths and beyond. I wouldn't jump straight into calculus; more than any other subject maths builds on its foundations so you might want to start/refamiliarise yourself with basic algebra and functions (and their graphs) and go from there. I think you'll then find that the essentials of calculus aren't as tricky as people sometimes suggest. Enjoy!
  • Stig said:

Thanks. 
    I learned both at school and never used calculus since and only really used algebra to solve IQ puzzles with simultaneous equations etc. Not entirely sure what the point in calculus is - scientific purposes?
  • edited August 2020
    Stig said:

Thanks. 
    I learned both at school and never used calculus since and only really used algebra to solve IQ puzzles with simultaneous equations etc. Not entirely sure what the point in calculus is - scientific purposes?
    Calculus is probably the most applicable area of maths to real word problems, it's the study of how a quantity changes so for example predicting birth/death/infection rates in biology or calculating maximal profits or marginal revenues in economics
  • MattF said:
    Stig said:

Thanks. 
    Calculus is probably the most applicable area of maths to real word problems, it's the study of how a quantity changes so for example predicting birth/death/infection rates in biology or calculating maximal profits or marginal revenues in economics
    I recall it being something to do with rate of change. It wasn't my favourite part of Maths. I've not used trigonometry since either.
  • MattF said:
    Stig said:

Thanks. 
    I recall it being something to do with rate of change. It wasn't my favourite part of Maths. I've not used trigonometry since either.
    Yeah, trigonometry has much more niche/subtler uses in reality
  • MattF said:
    Stig said:

Thanks. 
    Critical in engineering, used a lot in financial engineering too.