Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Workmen.

edited August 2020 in Not Sports Related
Don't you just love the British workmen.

Friday lunchtime a lorry turned up outside my home. Out jumped 2 workman & got to work putting up some temporary traffic lights & the usual other roadworks paraphernalia. Wasn't told about this beforehand btw & is stationed just 5 yards from my driveway. They then dug a hole & spent all of around 30 mins in it. Then left. At around 3pm. Thats it. No work obviously over the weekend so since early Friday afternoon we've had temporary traffic lights buggering up the road outside with nothing happening for the pleasure of it all. 

Who it their right minds turns up & does this. Why not just leave it until Monday ?  Think I'll just might pop out tomorrow & have a word with them (if they turn up that is).

Comments

• Options

Friday lunchtime a lorry turned up outside my home. Out jumped 2 workman & got to work putting up some temporary traffic lights & the usual other roadworks paraphernalia. Wasn't told about this beforehand btw & is stationed just 5 yards from my driveway. They then dug a hole & spent all of around 30 mins in it. Then left. At around 3pm. Thats it. No work obviously over the weekend so since early Friday afternoon we've had temporary traffic lights buggering up the road outside with nothing happening for the pleasure of it all. 

Who it their right minds turns up & does this. Why not just leave it until Monday ?  Think I'll just might pop out tomorrow & have a word with them (if they turn up that is).
    Two workmen have just dug a hole of their own accord?
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Two workmen have just dug a hole of their own accord?
    Dunno why they had to damage a perfectly good Honda
    I got it mate!
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    Because it would obviously be their fault. Try whoever they work for, would be my approach.
    Obviously. That's what I want to ask them.I know they didn't rock up on their own accord but I don't think its the council. Probably water or gas. 
  • Options
    It sounds crazy, I know, but there are three teams of workmen. the hole diggers and fillers, the pipe repair boys, and the tarmac and yellow line brigade. 
    Each one only does their own task. 
    That’s why you see completed repairs with the roadworks still in operation. - It’s because of workload/availability. 
  • Options
    You should have spent today filling the hole back up again Dave
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Workers knocking workers. 
    The fine road masons probably say the same about office workers working day.
    Unless you are Lord or Lady land owner we’re all workmen. 

• Options
    ROTW said:
    Because it would obviously be their fault. Try whoever they work for, would be my approach.
    Obviously. That's what I want to ask them.I know they didn't rock up on their own accord but I don't think its the council. Probably water or gas. 
    Go outside and have a look at the information board. We aren't allowed to dig holes where we want and whenever we want anymore especially not when traffic control is involved. If the blokes have rocked up on a Friday afternoon it will have been whats referred to as urgent works which don't require prior notice as urgent works is not planned. 

Have a look at the information board, if you can't be bothered to phone the number on the board look at roadworks.org and you will see it on there 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    My money is on Cadant or Conway. They do love to dig a hole and bugger off.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    It's amazing how easy it is to find fault with the way other people work when you have no idea of the challenges and limitations they are working under.
    Seeing as I work from home & my desk is right by the window I had a birds eye view of their shenanigans on Friday. At first I thought the were going to do what the recent other workmen  did which was to park their 10 ton lorries across my driveway even though there are double yellows there. They didn't, they only stopped to unload their gear, but took long enough about it. 

I will be going out in the morning to look for this infamous "information board" to see how long they expect to be there & who is responsible. 
  • Options
    At least someone's looking into it.
  • Options
    Does Golfie wear a bowler hat?
  • Options
    I live by a railway station and they have gone through periods of working throughout an entire weekend from Friday evening to Monday morning, as well as weeknights, and when I say loud, I mean that they have been lifting up the traintrack with a JCB and then dropping them on the floor just to shake stones off, and the train they use to knock the rails back in sounds like hell on earth, genuinely a strange pneumatic screech followed by a pounding noise that shakes the floor, my mate who lives a couple minutes away by walking said he heard it too. You can only sleep during these weekends when you are literally so exhausted you would sleep through the blitz. 

A lot of the not so severe noises you can block out because they are a droning/repetitive. 

I am not annoyed at them for that though, it has to be done. What infuriates me to the extent I would (and I'm not proud of this) go toe to toe with them and at one point told them as much, is the fact that they insist, at 3 am shouting "oi Dan, I'm going to go and get a burger, do you want one?" And just shouting and screaming constantly to each other, as well as (and for me they should be shot in the face for this) hooting their horn at 4am to say goodbye to the lads after a hard 4 hour shift at work. Inconsiderate people should be publically flogged and burnt at the stake. Something about horns and voices pierces into the human consciousness when you are sleeping. 

MP (Pennycook) got involved and they made a lot of right noises but nothing change (which led to me offering to take 10 people on who are undoubtedly a lot stronger than me). Sleep deprivation is a horrible thing, I am not the only one, I heard someone screaming "shut the f*ck up you c*nts" another night too. That woke me up as well... 

I'm moving further out of London in a couple of months I think/hope. 
  • Options
    Any updates?
  • Options
    I’d unplug the traffic lights...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Huskaris said:
    I live by a railway station and they have gone through periods of working throughout an entire weekend from Friday evening to Monday morning, as well as weeknights, and when I say loud, I mean that they have been lifting up the traintrack with a JCB and then dropping them on the floor just to shake stones off, and the train they use to knock the rails back in sounds like hell on earth, genuinely a strange pneumatic screech followed by a pounding noise that shakes the floor, my mate who lives a couple minutes away by walking said he heard it too. You can only sleep during these weekends when you are literally so exhausted you would sleep through the blitz. 

A lot of the not so severe noises you can block out because they are a droning/repetitive. 

I am not annoyed at them for that though, it has to be done. What infuriates me to the extent I would (and I'm not proud of this) go toe to toe with them and at one point told them as much, is the fact that they insist, at 3 am shouting "oi Dan, I'm going to go and get a burger, do you want one?" And just shouting and screaming constantly to each other, as well as (and for me they should be shot in the face for this) hooting their horn at 4am to say goodbye to the lads after a hard 4 hour shift at work. Inconsiderate people should be publically flogged and burnt at the stake. Something about horns and voices pierces into the human consciousness when you are sleeping. 

MP (Pennycook) got involved and they made a lot of right noises but nothing change (which led to me offering to take 10 people on who are undoubtedly a lot stronger than me). Sleep deprivation is a horrible thing, I am not the only one, I heard someone screaming "shut the f*ck up you c*nts" another night too. That woke me up as well... 

Sorry about that mate. But they are cracking burgers and Dan gets really narky if we dont ask him.
    Fine, just get me one next time. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Any updates?
    Turns out they were there to help excavate a WW2 bomb, but Golfie chased them off, accidently dropped his metal tipped brolly in the hole and ..... BOOM!
  • Options
    Don’t want to worry Golffie but this could going on a while 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Any updates?
    Just been outside to check who it is (it's been raining most of this afternoon). Its Thames Water & I now have the tel no of who to contact (which I will do tomorrow). It does make you laugh as on the "information board" it has scribbled in marker pen...."we expect to finish these works by the 27th". I'd like to know how considering no-one was around at all today & like I said in the OP  they had buggered off before 3pm on Friday. 

Just dig a hole, put up temporary traffic lights outside my home so I can't get off my drive as the queue of traffic starts there & then leave them for 4 days without doing a sodding bit of work. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

It's funny because we back onto the railway line & I don't have a problem with the noise from that.......and the people who do track maintenance have twice contacted us this year to let us know when they will be doing works overnight. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    At least someone's looking into it.
    What the hole. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

It's funny because we back onto the railway line & I don't have a problem with the noise from that.......and the people who do track maintenance have twice contacted us this year to let us know when they will be doing works overnight. 
    House swap? I'll take your traffic light digging and you can have the station works :)
  • Options
    So, an update.

Finally at lunchtime 2 men turned up. Didn't see excactly what they did but by early afternoon they were tarmacing the hole over, packing all the signs & traffic lights away and they were gone by 4pm. 

So, true to their word they had finished by the 27th. However, in total it took them no more than 6 HOURS (2 hours Fri & 4 today) but had inconvenienced the residents for 6 DAYS.

• Options
    Did you offer them financial advice previously? :-)