Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hot Bricks - The Valley - 1970s?

Can someone clear a random question up for me please?
My half brothers dad's family lived in Harvey Gardens in the 1960s and 70s, many of them are featured on the murial at the end of the road.
Anyway, he told my mum a story about how the chap selling chestnuts would also sell hot bricks wrapped in newspaper to keep people warm during frosty winter night matches back in the 70s. 
She was a bit dubious about this story, but in my mind I can imagine old men holding bricks wrapped in paper and standing on the old East Terrace.
Can anyone add colour to this story or dismiss it as ludicrous.
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Sounds bonkers to me and I went to virtually every home game in the 70's and stood on the East Terrace up until the mid 70's.
  • Options
    Yep I loved the chestnuts. Hot bricks is bollocks though. 
  • Options
    My Dad and I always stood on the East Terrace from the 1960s to early 80s. Afraid I don’t recall seeing the chestnut seller up on the Lansdowne Mews entrance to the East Terrace selling anything other than chestnuts!
  • Options
    Stood on the East terrace from '62 to '83 and never witnessed this.
    Would have been impractical on a large scale and I certainly don't recall the guy in Harvey Gardens / Floyd Road with a large pile of bricks next to his brazier.
    Maybe he had just a few bricks for his own use and selected friends?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    As with others, never saw this but I also thought this was a 'band' thread