Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recording tv without sky/virgin

Looking to cancel sky tv and broadband as don't really watch the tv and getting charged £81 for basic tv and internet which is pretty slow and unreliable in terms of connecting to the internet for smart tv etc.

I have no idea about this sort of stuff so wondering if anyone has any advice please as to what the most economical and effective ways of getting the following are:

- Decent internet

- Not fussed about having sky tv or virgin tv etc as mainly watch netflix and prime tv etc but want to be able to record things like Match of the Day, Quest highlights etc.

If I only have the internet and a smart tv i take it that gives Freeview?  But how can you record stuff on there ie rather than having to wait for it to pop up on iplayer etc?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Some TV’s will record onto a USB stick, worth looking up the specs on yours then yeah, just get fibre from a provider and either freeview through your aerial or freesat through a dish (depending on what sockets you have on your tv)
  • Options
    Cheers mate
  • Options
    You can buy recorders if you're watching  via the TV aerial or satellite connection, either to record from Freeview or Freesat

Freesat boxes work through the same sockets as Sky satellite set top boxes
  • Options
    Looking to cancel sky tv and broadband as don't really watch the tv and getting charged £81 for basic tv and internet which is pretty slow and unreliable in terms of connecting to the internet for smart tv etc.

I have no idea about this sort of stuff so wondering if anyone has any advice please as to what the most economical and effective ways of getting the following are:

- Decent internet

- Not fussed about having sky tv or virgin tv etc as mainly watch netflix and prime tv etc but want to be able to record things like Match of the Day, Quest highlights etc.

If I only have the internet and a smart tv i take it that gives Freeview?  But how can you record stuff on there ie rather than having to wait for it to pop up on iplayer etc?

Cheers

It might be worth a call to Sky before you go down this route. If you are out of contract they will almost certainly offer you a deal to stay and if you push hard I bet you can get what you are paying - which looks very high to me - down considerably.
  • Options
    Rodders, let us know what it's like to be back in the 1990s will ya please mate? 
  • Options
    I have used a freesat box with a USB external hard drive plugged in for years without a problem to record off the TV.  Very simple to setup. 
  • Options
    Rodders, let us know what it's like to be back in the 1990s will ya please mate? 

It's radical! ;-)

• Options
    Cheers all
  • Options
    1. Start watching match of the day
    2. Record your TV screen on your phone
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can get a freeview hard drive recorder on ebay pretty cheap.
  • Options
    Thanks mate I'll have a look
  • Options
    You can get a freeview hard drive recorder on ebay pretty cheap.
    Just type those words in your search.
  • Options
    Doing the same. Have two boxes at home, so have taken the satellite cable out of the Sky box and screwed it into the Smart TV. Tuned the Freesat and have about 20 HD Channels and over 30 standard def channels to choose from. I swear the HD output is better than what I had through Sky. Bought a 256GB USB (3.0) don’t know what the 3.0 means but my manual suggested I needed it and I can now record programmes on it.

I will buy Now TV sports passes from time to time, but have BT Sport with my Infinity Broadband package and the rest of their service I do not care about. 

Oh and I better call them to cancel my subscription having been through all of thar...
  • Options
    USB 3 is the speed of data transfer, normally has a blue inside.
  • Options
    USB 3 is the speed of data transfer, normally has a blue inside.
    Yes, USB 3 is the current USB standard, much faster than the older USB 2 connection
  • Options
    You can use your Sky box without a subscription to watch Freesat but you won' t be able to record. Don' t know if theres a very basic subscription which will allow this. The question of slow internet is something you should take up with Sky. I have Sky broadband superfast for £27 but this includes line rental plus phone anf free weekend and evening calls. With this package I think they guarantee something like 40 mb download. Then theres the question of where you live, is it far from the  exchange, is it ll fibred up etc