Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer on why we can’t sign players

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2020
    IR94 said:
    Puts us in an even harder position, guess we might have to sell Phillips (Amos is a fine number 1 at this level), just to free up space. 

How do you know that ? He hasn't played a competitive game in almost 2 years ?  
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Puts us in an even harder position, guess we might have to sell Phillips (Amos is a fine number 1 at this level), just to free up space. 

Yeah Amos concerns me with the amount of goals he's conceding of late... Although they are against strong teams (apart from Southend) - Definitely shown why Phillips is No.1
  • Options
    The difficult problem for Bowyer is 

a) should he be shuffling the current squad now to cope with the embargo, or
    b) lump it for the short term, as once TS takes over the embargo will be lifted
  • Options
    IR94 said:

Yeah Amos concerns me with the amount of goals he's conceding of late... Although they are against strong teams (apart from Southend) - Definitely shown why Phillips is No.1
    Phillips is easily the best keeper in L1

But IF the takeover doesn't happen, it wouldn't make sense having him playing behind a makeshift defence because we can't sign any defenders!
  • Options
    IR94 said:

How many are due to his mistakes?
  • Options
    IR94 said:

How many are due to his mistakes?
    That is very true
  • Options
    We're not in a position to argue the toss though, we are still owned by ESI 1, and until that changes to TS or via administration to a new owner, the EFL will keep the restrictions in. They are also defending other clubs who might get stiffed on a transfer fee we can't pay. 

If TS get the deal done in the first week of September, they'll be 5/6 weeks to do transfers, not ideal, but good chance Bow will get his 10 players
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I can see their point, though. We've had 7 months to sort this mess out and have made no progress.
    The registration embargo is the sanction for failing to satisfy the source and sustainability of resources criteria.  The theory presumably being to restrict CAFC's ability to dig itself into a financial black hole by signing loads of costly player contracts it has no realistic hope of affording.  That theory has some simple logic.
    But to categorise a single 15 minute substitute appearance, 12 months ago in an early round cup game, as qualification as a first team player is risible.
    You don't get league winners' medals until you make 10 league appearances, for example.
    The effect of the embargo in this form will be to restrict youngsters' opportunities in the pisspot trophy and the fizzydrink cup - again risible.  The pisspot trophy is partly about getting experience for youngsters in matches more competitive than U23 fixtures.

Simplistic ill conceived drivel like this, is emblematic of  EFL executive's winning combination of rank incompetence and complacent negligence.  In its mind 'so long as we've written a rule, we're done, all's good'  there's not one iota of care for whether the rule is a good one, even if there were the competency to achieve that.  Could get a job in the Department of Education, exams section, with that sort of technical rigour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Bowyer crassly misquoted by the headline to the slp article.
    He absolutely doesn't say "we need 10 players to get the squad up to scratch"
    He says (to paraphrase) "12 players have left since the season ended, we've signed 2 so we would need 10 just to maintain numbers"  the point being that that many players were acceptable under this embargo when we were getting loans in, back in January.  It was one out - one in back then so what now? EFL arbitrary and clumsy at every turn.  EFL shifting goal posts.
    Next they won't even start thinking about punishing a team for infractions until 9 months after they got found out - oh wait Sheff Weds anybody?
  • Options
    I know I know it's Alan Nixon but

• Options
    This is outrageous! I could accept that we shouldn't be allowed to pay transfer fees but to force the club to use youngsters who are not ready for extended periods in senior football is out of order. It's bad for the young players concerned and it gives opposing teams an unfair advantage. And it punishes the fans for the sins of the owners. As if we don't have enough cause to complain to the EFL as we already have.
  • Options
    Joke club receives joke ruling 
    none of it funny 
  • Options
    EFL don't like us after the goings on on the past couple of seasons, I'm sure.

And they seem to create rules just for us, rules that piss off the fans and the management.

Alan Nixon mentioned a vendetta. I assume this is what he's on about.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Easy solution. Play all the U18's & after 2 games do a Bolton and say we have to call the next game off as they are playing too much football for their age. Play the EFL at their own game. That or just sign players & stick 2 fingers up to the EFL. Will probably bring a points deduction for playing an eligible player but fuck em. 
  • Options
    Easy solution. Play all the U18's & after 2 games do a Bolton and say we have to call the next game off as they are playing too much football for their age. Play the EFL at their own game. That or just sign players & stick 2 fingers up to the EFL. Will probably bring a points deduction for playing an eligible player but fuck em. 
    It's a good job we haven't previously had points deductions for playing eligible players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The real solution sell vennings (example) to welling for a pound with a buy back clause of a pound 
  • Options
    dmjn said:
    The real solution sell vennings (example) to welling for a pound with a buy back clause of a pound 
    And then the FL would turn around and say "you can't play your new signing this season as you will be the third club he's been registered with this season" leaving us even further up shit creek.

Never mind mind being up a creek without a paddle, the Football League are trying to steal our sodding boat as well.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    What about the post Donny celebrations on the pitch? We are well fcuked! 
  • Options
    I heard the club are trying to trace anyone who bought a full kit in the club shop to play
  • Options
    dmjn said:
    And then the FL would turn around and say "you can't play your new signing this season as you will be the third club he's been registered with this season" leaving us even further up shit creek.

Never mind mind being up a creek without a paddle, the Football League are trying to steal our sodding boat as well.
    That ones debatable. Surely Charlton x 2 and welling x1 would still only count as 2. My idea was really meant as season long loan type things to free up spaces for new signings this season 
  • Options
    Well, if this means i get a run out...
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    2121 said:
    Well, if this means i get a run out...
    You are in the squad. No promises of a run out.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    It's just another way to help out the bigger clubs, the Premier League have squads of 25 nominated players at least 8 have to be homegrown, but under 21's don't count towards that number. So they can just hoover up any decent players out there, pay them 5x what we can to be in the academy and then send them back out on loan to clubs like us. 

1.3k a week maximum wages and we can't sign anyone anyway because 16-17 year olds with 1 appearance to their names are now Senior players? Ridiculous 
    I'm quite sure you're right, @s@sam3110. These sort of loans to lower division clubs are very much part of the overall plan in terms of 'farming' players.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist on following issue - and certainly do not impute any dark motives to the EFL (an owners' club in any event) - but a by-product of the salary cap and the inevitable shrinkage of League 1 and 2 clubs may be to revive the utterly repugnant idea of 'feeder clubs'. 

I Googled this and up popped one of the biggest tossers in recent years - one Tim Sherwood. I was not prepared to watch it myself but for any masochists present, here it is..... - https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11492904/tim-sherwood-calls-for-lower-league-teams-to-become-feeder-clubs-for-premier-league-big-boys
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    In principle I like the rule. The EFL can’t let their clubs continue to run up their costs the way that they are.

But it shouldn’t be backdated like this.

Let every club, starting from first match day of this season, choose their 23 via team selection in the upcoming matches. The first 23 players that play in EFL competitions are the players we continue with until any of those 23 are moved on to free up space for new players.

It’s still not perfect (exceptions should be made for youth players for example) but it’s already a lot better than what is being enforced.