Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Incredible Goal By Ray Crawford (1969)

2»

Comments

• Options
    If I remember correctly the game finished 1-1 and Crawford scored very late on. Me and my pal were slowly walking out  and were actually standing a little way behind the home fans when he scored. Naturally we both celebrated before realising just where we were! Dont think we stopped running till we reached Lewisham!
  • Options
    Remember the goal well, wasn't there but watched it on the Big Match. Remember Ray Crawford scoring against Portsmouth at the Covered End, was the sweetest strike i ever saw. 
  • Options
    Wasn't this goal used as part of the intro to The Big Match at one point?
    Yes, am pretty sure it was.
  • Options
    I remember that goal at the covered end, and agree he could really contact a football beautifully, and I remember Rodney Marsh for QPR in a big cup game scoring a similar goal with a beautiful hit.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I remember that goal at the covered end, and agree he could really contact a football beautifully, and I remember Rodney Marsh for QPR in a big cup game scoring a similar goal with a beautiful hit.
    I'd forgotten all about Crawford's goal at The Den. I remember him scoring a cracker at the Covered End, but I've lost the details. As for Rodney Marsh's goal that was a great strike. I also remember Bruce Rioch hitting the bar so hard that the goal looked as though it would come out of the ground as it shook so hard.
  • Options
    I was at The Den that day,Crawford didnt score to many for Charlton but that goal and the one against Norwich at Carrow Road when we won 1-0 he must have enjoyed.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I was there. Only just been let out by the OB. 
  • Options
    I was there & remember the goal but nothing else about the game. I do remember walking back to New Cross & a mob over the road must have seen our train timetables as they looked over & started shouting millwall in a threatening manner, Two 14 year olds shit their pants but we managed a weak millwall back & continued on our way unmolested.
  • Options
    Wasn't at the game but remember Ray Crawford playing for us although he didn't stay long. 
    One season I guess.
     Was a really strong player good scorer with foot and headers.
    As been said ex England international.
  • Options
    In yesterday's Mirror.  

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I woz there.

I was only thinking of Ray Crawford the other day, don’t think he played for us for that long?

Was it just a season, if that?
  • Options
    said it before, Ray was one of my boyhood heroes when at Ipswich, my dad's team .. we went to all the London games when Ipswich extraordinarily won the title in 61/62 under Lord Alf Ramsey .. Crawford and Ted Phillips were one of the most potent strike partners ever to play top level football, albeit for a short time .. we got him, as with so many one time top players, when his legs couldn't keep up with his brain .. Ray's book 'Curse of the Jungle Boy' is a good read .. Jungle Boy his nickname following his exploits in Malaya during his national service in the Army