Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car paint spill

Comments

• Options
    Wow, there are some horror stories there, looks like I got off lightly. B&Q seem to have no interest, sympathy or intention of reimbursing costs. 

I found this as well..  https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/oct/29/bq-valspar-paint-tins-open-damage-cars
  • Options
    Tempted to go to B&Q, but a tin of Valspar then drop it so it goes all over the till/floor as I go to pay.
    I was thinking the same.
  • Options
    Tempted to go to B&Q, but a tin of Valspar then drop it so it goes all over the till/floor as I go to pay.
    I was thinking the same.
    Yeah, then some poor teenage worker earning minimum wage will have to get on their hands and knees to clean it up.

What a thoroughly disgusting thing to even think of.
  • Options
    I was thinking the same.
    Yeah, then some poor teenage worker earning minimum wage will have to get on their hands and knees to clean it up.

If anything, @DaveMehmet @Covered End are guaranteeing job security. It is a selfless act as far as I'm concerned.

A better example of disgusting behaviour would be shitting in your teapot while you are on holiday.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I am about to embark on some much needed decorating. I will not be going to B&Q (I was planning to get everything there) now as I think this story is outrageous. Consequently, they have already lost out financially by not sorting you out. It is not unreasonable to expect a tin of paint you have just bought not to spill if it tips over.

I have also found out via this thread that Valspar paint is crap. Confirmed by a painter and decorator contact. I had a look in my local B&M on the off chance yesterday and was surprised to see the paint they sell is Dulux and Johnstones.  
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    I was thinking the same.

If anything, @DaveMehmet @Covered End are guaranteeing job security. It is a selfless act as far as I'm concerned.

A better example of disgusting behaviour would be shitting in your teapot while you are on holiday.
    How long would you leave it brewing?
    One lump or two?
  • Options
    Leyland paint can't beat it unlike the cars 
  • Options
    I cannot believe how many times this has happened with this product from this retailer.

How B&Q cannot be liable for all the damage caused mystifies me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ouch in an Audi Q5 too by the look of it!
  • Options
    I phoned them up the other week to ask how big the queue was. Dopey mare on the end of the line said it was the same size as the B.
  • Options
    I worked at B&Q for 5 years, absolute joke of a company. You've got little chance of getting any refund, as the manager is right in saying it's not their problem once it's left the premises. 

I'd suggest going as high up the management chain as possible. Bringing it to the attention of someone important used to get results for customers. 
  • Options
    I worked at B&Q for 5 years, absolute joke of a company. You've got little chance of getting any refund, as the manager is right in saying it's not their problem once it's left the premises. 

I'd suggest going as high up the management chain as possible. Bringing it to the attention of someone important used to get results for customers. 
    Go to the top, CEO or similar threaten Watchdog if no agreement.
    Contact Watchdog with evidence & prior spillage records discovered.
  • Options
    How well did it clean up? We need an after pic.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    @LoOkOuT managed to get the bulk of the paint out on the mat but still left a mess.

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    @LoOkOuT managed to get the bulk of the paint out on the mat but still left a mess.

What on earth did you get up to with the cleaner? 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Would a vax carpet cleaner with a wand help?, emulsion paint might pick up given enough applications. Our VAX has been very good for getting various colours of cat puke off our cream carpet ..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    LoOkOuT said:

What on earth did you get up to with the cleaner? 
    I pretty much gave up cleaning it tbh. By the time I got home, the paint that had seeped under and around the mat had already started to dry and the rest was drying as fast as I could mop it up. Soon became apparent I'd need a new carpet so gave up! 
  • Options
    red10 said:
    Would a vax carpet cleaner with a wand help?, emulsion paint might pick up given enough applications. Our VAX has been very good for getting various colours of cat puke off our cream carpet ..
    Beyond a vax mate, industrial paint stripper and a karcher jet washer more like 😉
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

It looked better before you started cleaning it up. 
  • Options
    Just go back to B&Q and buy three more tins for the other footwells. By the time you get home, everyone will assume it's factory spec or limited edition. 
  • Options
    You need to get the seat out first, then a Vax/bissell with plenty of cleaning fluid. I'm assuming it's a water based paint, if so it'll come out.

What car is it?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    You need to get the seat out first, then a Vax/bissell with plenty of cleaning fluid. I'm assuming it's a water based paint, if so it'll come out.

What car is it?
    Black on the outside, grey, black & white on the inside.
    Helpful!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

What car is it?
    Toyota Crown
  • Options
    Go to Brewers.
    More expensive but thorough with clips and tape on mixed paint.
    Handy for me anyway as they're on the Chiltonian.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

What car is it?
    @Rob7Lee it's a Mazda and brand new  :'( which is why I'm going to replace the carpet. A local auto trim company can supply new and join under the centre consul and under the seat for £300