Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naby & Dillon

My apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere, which I suspect it will have been.
If the sale is confirmed, will they now choose to stay.......I’d have thought they would now be offered new deals.
I think they will, because as far as I know they haven’t signed elsewhere?

Comments

• Options
    Dillon is our player anyway, and Sarr is about 6k a week too much for the new restrictions
  • Options
    One is here for another 12 months and the other has already left.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Yes.....I knew Naby had left but I was half hoping he might return if the offer was right.......which is now looking unlikely from what you are saying.
    I think Dillon will sign a new improved deal.......at least I very much hope so.
  • Options
    Id predict that with Lynch signing that we wont go for Naby now... Means we'd have both him and Pearce as leftie centre backs

Ideally we just need to find a right centre back now in support of Oshilaja
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Dillon is our player anyway, and Sarr is about 6k a week too much for the new restrictions
    As I have said before as long as you are clever and the player wants to play for you there is a way around the restrictions.

Offer Naby a 1 year deal on 4k a week so we met the restrictions then add a clause that if we get promoted there is a additional 2 years added on and a 100% wage increase.

Naby then knows he has one season on a lower wage but if we get promoted he gets the security of an additional 2 seasons on 8k.

If we dont get promoted he is free next summer to look elsewhere 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    se9addick said:
    Yes.....I knew Naby had left but I was half hoping he might return if the offer was right.......which is now looking unlikely from what you are saying.
    I think Dillon will sign a new improved deal.......at least I very much hope so.
    I just think the salary cap will stop us offering the sort of money he (Naby) would be expecting. If we had signed him up a few weeks ago the we only would have counted the league average salary towards our salary cap for him regardless of the money he was on (I.e we could have given him his £6K a well or whatever but only the league average, which will be well below that, would count towards our salary cap) but that deadline has now passed.

I’m not sure what happens with in-contract players signing new deals, I wonder if the whole of their new salary counts towards the cap?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    As I have said before as long as you are clever and the player wants to play for you there is a way around the restrictions.

Offer Naby a 1 year deal on 4k a week so we met the restrictions then add a clause that if we get promoted there is a additional 2 years added on and a 100% wage increase.

Naby then knows he has one season on a lower wage but if we get promoted he gets the security of an additional 2 seasons on 8k.

I wonder if it would be allowed in the Salary Cap rules as would be classed as a bonus etc.

Even if it would only come into effect when we're outside the Salary Cap
  • Options
    My apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere, which I suspect it will have been.
    If the sale is confirmed, will they now choose to stay.......I’d have thought they would now be offered new deals.
    I think they will, because as far as I know they haven’t signed elsewhere?
    Dillon was already offered a new deal and turned it down, so doubt we will offer him another new deal? Obviously we don’t know the offer, it’s possible it was a poor one. But I can’t see Bowyer moving on his view now with Amos number 1 for 2020/21 season. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    sam3110 said:

So he has to take a guaranteed 33% pay cut (assuming he was on £6K previously) in the hope that he might possibly get more money at some point in the future? Would probably sack my agent if he came to me with that deal. 
    As I said it depends how much the player wants to play for the club and if he is willing to take the paycut for potentially 1 season 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    sam3110 said:

So he has to take a guaranteed 33% pay cut (assuming he was on £6K previously) in the hope that he might possibly get more money at some point in the future? Would probably sack my agent if he came to me with that deal. 
    As I said it depends how much the player wants to play for the club and if he is willing to take the paycut for potentially 1 season 
    I mean there’s wanting to play for a club and then there’s undermining your own earning potential. 

Ultimately players will generally go wherever the best guaranteed money is on offer, promises for tomorrow are no good today. I wouldn’t be staking my financial future on Charlton getting promoted at the first time of asking let’s put it that way. 
  • Options
    £6k?  More like £9k
  • Options
    But, in this post-COVID world, is Sarr going to get an offer of 6k a week?  He was not a permanent fixture in a relegated championship team.  It took us years to learn to love him, so are other teams going to do the same when there are a glut of players on the market.  Would surely be better to get 4k per week than nothing so might be later in the window we find out. 
  • Options
    Naby can stay away so far as I am concerned .. Phillips ? .. so loves CAFC he wants away .. if he goes he is no big loss, except of course it will mean lots of tears and sobs on here at losing 'one of our own' .. Amos is just as good a keeper
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    With Naby, it depends what offers he will get I suppose. You are worth what people are willing to pay for you, not your previous contract.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dillon needs to move on for his own career - and I would wish him well.
    He owes us nothing and is massively in credit.

No he doesn’t have to move on and he does owe us.
    His career won’t stall and one could argue it would stall more by sitting on a bench somewhere.
    He was a bit poor when he came into the team and his distribution still needs working on. It is not just about the delivery, he needs to sharpen his awareness of what is happening or likely to, which will speed up his decision making.
    One season out of the Championship is not much of an ask, he shares responsibility for us getting relegated and getting us up again in an improving club with a future could be the best thing that happens to him.
    He is already a very good keeper, could be a great keeper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Naby can stay away so far as I am concerned .. Phillips ? .. so loves CAFC he wants away .. if he goes he is no big loss, except of course it will mean lots of tears and sobs on here at losing 'one of our own' .. Amos is just as good a keeper
    You should let Bowyer know, as weirdly he’s hardly given Amos a look whilst Phillips was available for selection. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Naby reminded me of Miguel Llera in that he could ping the ball around but made the cardinal mistake of making one of his biggest errors against Millwall. 

In League One I think Joel Lynch would be okay. If we go up it is a different debate. 
  • Options
    Joel Lynch is a daydreamer of a centre half, drifts through games and switches off too much
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Naby reminded me of Miguel Llera in that he could ping the ball around but made the cardinal mistake of making one of his biggest mistakes against Millwall. 

In League One I think Joel Lynch would be okay. If we go up it is a different debate. 
    At least he won't be able to make a mistake against Millwall this season...
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Naby reminded me of Miguel Llera in that he could ping the ball around but made the cardinal mistake of making one of his biggest mistakes against Millwall. 

Depends who signs him
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    MattF said:
    Richard J said:

Depends who signs him
    Ironically on his next visit to the Den with the massives Llera scored an injury time winner. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Richard J said:
    MattF said:
    Richard J said:

Depends who signs him
    Ironically on his next visit to the Den with the massives Llera scored an injury time winner. 
    The curse of Millwall only applies when wearing a Charlton shirt...
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Joel Lynch is a daydreamer of a centre half, drifts through games and switches off too much
    Yeah but apart from that.
  • Options
    Dillon to Bournemouth being rumoured. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Dillon to Bournemouth being rumoured. 
    Good move for him if true. Should be first choice and will get loads of chances to show how good he is after Bournemouth sell off their first team squad.

And he can live next door to Harry on Sandbanks!