Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*FLYING*

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I had a bout of turbulence coming home from Mexico, night time over the Atlantic. The pilot came on the intercom and said he could not change altitude due to traffic in the same area, looked out the window and saw a large aircraft what looked quite too close for comfort, it stay with us for about 20 mins, and a one point i thought i could see passengers looking from their windows to us. Was quite unnerved. When the seat belt sign came off one or two of the passengers like me had a large scotch.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Another view... 
    Whether you enjoy it, are terrified - yet live to tell the tale -, die in mid-air, or on land, or in the sea... the plane you're on is polluting the skies and the air that we breathe.
    Is your journey necessary? In all likelihood... probably not.
    Have a day off mate. 

Every flight I have ever taken is necessary. Mainly because it has gotten me to where I want to go. 

Do us all a favour and stop wasting electricity and keep off the internet 

MrOneLung said:

Have a day off mate. 

Every flight I have ever taken is necessary. Mainly because it has gotten me to where I want to go. 

Oh, what a wag you are.

Attenborough's #ExtinctionTheFacts demonstrated how consumption, selfishness and greed devastates habitats around the world. It is the poorest that suffer the most.
    Legislation was recently tabled in Parliament that specifically addresses the activities that have resulted in habitat loss and extreme weather patterns.  It's called the Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill #CEEbill
    Look, are you scared of flying or not??

😉
  • Options
    Both! I was an RAF Cadet Flight Sargeant.
    I had some roller-coaster rides in Chipmunks and Sedbergh gliders. 

My most 'recent' flight was in 1987.

(Rob,
    I was a good shot and represented my school at Bisley National Rifle Range. (Short Siberia and Long Siberia).
    I used a 7.62 rifle. I'd previously used a .303)

The old British .303. It is a legal calibre for deer in UK you know mate.

Field - Fire - Fork

You'd feel liberated 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Another view... 
    Whether you enjoy it, are terrified - yet live to tell the tale -, die in mid-air, or on land, or in the sea... the plane you're on is polluting the skies and the air that we breathe.
    Is your journey necessary? In all likelihood... probably not.
    Have a day off mate. 

MrOneLung said:

Have a day off mate. 

Oh, what a wag you are.

Attenborough's #ExtinctionTheFacts demonstrated how consumption, selfishness and greed devastates habitats around the world. It is the poorest that suffer the most.
    Legislation was recently tabled in Parliament that specifically addresses the activities that have resulted in habitat loss and extreme weather patterns.  It's called the Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill #CEEbill
    Doesn’t change the fact that a flight to Greece is essential for my holiday. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Oh and then the fuckery at the luggage carousel, every shitarse for miles stands on top of the thing staring vacantly with dribble hanging from their mouth at a load of cases that are not theirs invariably with all of their equally shitty family and one of the big trollies that they will dump as soon as they get to their awaiting coach transfer chariot 

Fortunately I’ve only had one experience of missing luggage. 

Coming back from Chicago to Heathrow. The missus case was literally the first on the carousel.....result. 

Fast forward 45 mins and I’m the only one left watching the same rubber cock go round and round. 

My case somehow did not make it to the plane. 

TBF - resolution was great. They took my details and the case was delivered to my door by taxi later the same day. Saved me lugging it home👍🏼

• Options
    Was just thinking last night about this thread, especially after @Carter magnificent rant, of which I am in awe :-)

And I shocked myself to realise that the last flight I took was this time last year. I don't see myself taking another flight this year. And to the best my memory serves me, that will then be the longest gap since 1972 when as  school leavers six of us took off on a package holiday to Yugoslavia as it was. Jesus. I mean I was never a "frequent flyer" in airline terminology, but I was usually good for 5-8 return flights per year. There are other reasons why I would have done less this year anyway, but this is fundamentally Covid. In that respect I'm fairly typical I guess, and a small indicator of the challenge now facing the industry.
  • Options
    Served for a while at R.N.A.S. Culdrose, and later on, the "Victorious" (an operational carrier), convinced me, at the time, that only birds and fools fly.  It was my wife's insistence that we take a holiday "in the sun" that finally got me on a plane.
  • Options
    I am a believer in stats. However, I hate flying from the second I get on until the second I land. Increased heart rate, cold sweats etc. Often get Valium from the doc. I happily drive 20k miles per year with all the expected near misses. Can't explain it. 
  • Options
    I have actually been in a plane crash (I was only 6 months old when the plane I was on crash landed in a field near Rimini). I reckon I have little chance of being in another :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not the saddest thing that’s happened this year by far, but still sad to see BA’s last two 747’s leave Heathrow after 49 years. One did a lap around London and heard it over Sidcup, although couldn’t see it as the Cloud was too low.

one of the benefits of Covid getting rid of these gas guzzlers blah blah blah,
    why are you going on about planes when so many more people need a bigger voice in this world, ba are anti-vegan, boycott boycott

• Options
    For added safety always sit at the back of a plane, planes never back into a mountain.
    so you’re doubly safe.
  • Options
    I have actually been in a plane crash (I was only 6 months old when the plane I was on crash landed in a field near Rimini). I reckon I have little chance of being in another :)
    Was you in your way back from Elevenorife? Sheesh
  • Options
    I'd feel a lot happier about flying if the place I ended up at wasn't called a 'Terminal'.
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    For added safety always sit at the back of a plane, planes never back into a mountain.
    so you’re doubly safe.
    Have you watched "Alive". The tail breaks off & a 3rd of the pssengers in the rear of the plane die.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    I'd feel a lot happier about flying if the place I ended up at wasn't called a 'Terminal'.
    What if they rename it the 'Final Destination'
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    so you’re doubly safe.
    Have you watched "Alive". The tail breaks off & a 3rd of the pssengers in the rear of the plane die.
    How many in the front die?

If it's a 66% survival rate at the back of the plane that's not terrible odds.
  • Options
    I've had a few "interesting" flights; emergency landing in Newfoundland on the way home from New York. Landed as it was snowing and had to walk across the tarmac to the very small terminal building. All because of a faulty smoke alarm in the hold - oxygen masks deployed, 24 hour delay, compensation, etc.

Go around at Heathrow when a SA jumbo was "slow to exit the runway ahead of us" according to the pilot - I thought that was great!

Stall alarms sounding in the six-seater as we came into land in breezy weather in the Guyanese jungle was exciting - I was in the co-pilots seat!

Then there was getting out of La Guardia on the Boston shuttle half an hour before the next shuttle ended up in the Hudson at the end of the runway (due to ice on the wings). We had been delayed (trying to go from Richmond to Boston) most of the day by a winter storm and anything more could have seen us on that flight instead.

Love flying...

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Three incidents, but not crashes as such.

A long time ago coming into land in Greece the DC-9 hit some turbulence and landed front wheel first.  It was not a pleasant experience even the crew looked ashen-faced.

An inter-island flight in the Seychelles. A Trislander.  Apparently these are tail heavy because of the extra engine. Luggage also goes in the back.  So that has to wait until the passengers are in to counterbalance the weight.  Some loader forgot and was loading the luggage, so the plane just tipped over backwards and a bit of the tail broke off.  The loader then tried sticking the bit of tail back on. It also left the pilot way up in the air in the cockpit. He was an Australian and not happy.  He jumped to the ground and beat the crap out of the luggage loader.  We had to wait for another plane.

A Northwest Airlines (not surprised they don't exist anymore) flight out of New Orleans was cancelled because a door had fallen off  when the plane landed.

• Options
    Greenie said:
    so you’re doubly safe.
    Like that age old joke,
    Always sit on the black box, cos they always find that intact , boom boom ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The US aviation regulator said 171 Boeing 737 Max 9s must be grounded for checks after part of an Alaska Airlines plane's fuselage fell off on Friday.