Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeeeaaaabuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrnnnnn

Comments

• Options
    Can't believe that was 25 years ago. Remember it like yesterday. Me and my old man just laughing about it actually happening.
  • Options
    What I remember about the train journey home was everyone thought it was hilarious
  • Options
    I would never have believed it if I hadn't have been there in person to witness it. Surreal stuff, seeing as he was not the most prolific of strikers.

And none with his head. Remarkable.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I was 8 at the time and was meant to be going with my Dad.

Something came up with his work which meant we couldn’t go at the last minute. In order to stop me from getting upset about not being able to go to football - he took me to Millwall vs Sunderland (1-2) instead!

Still have vivid memories of getting back to the car to find out the Charlton score, and even more shockingly that it involved a Leaburn hat-trick! 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Was at that one, what a day out that was 25 years ago unbelievable.

keeper carried off if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    Weird fact about this fixture, Ipswich have won the last 4 in a row at the Valley 
  • Options
    I remember not believing it had happened when I heard that.  It’s strange to think that it was also the last time we’ve come back from a goal down to win a bloody game...
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Weird fact about this fixture, Ipswich have won the last 4 in a row at the Valley 
    Not as strange as the fact that, in the 55 years plus of supporting us, we have only beaten Millwall four times out of 25 fixtures at The Valley!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We were upper tier to the right of the home fans for this from memory, to witness a Carl Leaburn hatrick was a thing of beauty.

I also remember a 4-4 draw around the same time where we were caged in at the opposite end of the ground? 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    shirty5 said:
    10 away goals that week after the 5 against Wimbledon in the League Cup on the Tuesday. Lee Bowyer hat trick. 

Leaburn hat trick against stand in goalie Neil Gregory after Craig Forrest went off injured in the aftermath of Phil Chapple scoring our first. 

The first time in successive away games that hat tricks were scored by Charlton 
    Andy Hunt repeated this in the 99/2000 season.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    10 away goals that week after the 5 against Wimbledon in the League Cup on the Tuesday. Lee Bowyer hat trick. 

Leaburn hat trick against stand in goalie Neil Gregory after Craig Forrest went off injured in the aftermath of Phil Chapple scoring our first. 

The first time in successive away games that hat tricks were scored by Charlton 
    Andy Hunt repeated this in the 99/2000 season?
    Successive league away games then yes. Norwich and Stockport. In between those games we won 3-2 at Premier League, Coventry City in the 5th round of the FA Cup 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Leaburn's second and Linger's - two contenders for goal of the season, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    ITV used to show a news bulletin around 5pm when the would show London clubs goals.

They said Ipswich took the lead in the first half with a Klaus Thomsen (I think) goal. Then matter of factly said Charlton won the game 5-1, no goals shown.

• Options
    Wow, can't believe that was 25 years ago, wheres that gone?
  • Options
    Unbelievably, my dad's mate predicted not only the score, but the first scorer. At half time we were one down, Phil Chapple had gone off after colliding with their keeper and came back on with his head bandaged. I asked what everyone thought the score would be and Big Al instantly replied, 5-1 to Charlton, Chapple to get the first. I asked how he came up with this unlikely result and he replied that earlier in the season Chapple had got a head injury and been bandaged up against Peterboro at the Valley. In that game Chapple scored the equaliser and we went on to win 5-1.
  • Options
    Ipswich has some of the deepest nets in football in those days. 
  • Options
    Fantastic day and great Day for Carl. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep I was there. took my son who was 7 at the time. Drove from Norwich so not too far to go for me. Leaburn hatrick and I was there. Great memories. Loved big Carlo. 
  • Options
    If I remember rightly the papers initially deprived Carlo of his hatrick by reporting that Gritty took the penalty!

Journalists are not noted for their accuracy always but you'd struggle to find two blokes as contrasting in appearance as Carlo and Gritty!
  • Options
    Wow, can't believe that was 25 years ago, wheres that gone?
    It's only a quarter of a century ago.

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    We were upper tier to the right of the home fans for this from memory, to witness a Carl Leaburn hatrick was a thing of beauty.

I also remember a 4-4 draw around the same time where we were caged in at the opposite end of the ground? 
    Wasn't at the 5-1 but was at the 4-4 - great game. IIRC 2-0 down, back to 2-2, 4-2 down, back to 4-4. our crowd was very loud that day and we sang from the minute we let in the 4th. One of those days you are convinced the support made a real difference.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    My mum and dad went to this game, I opted to go round a mates house instead and subsequently missed my chance to witness first hand a piece of Charlton folklore. I thought may Dad was taking the piss when he got home and told me Carlo had scored a hattrick. I rue the decision not to go to this day.

Love the way he nearly conspires to put the first one over the bar from about 2 yards out.
  • Options
    I was in Dublin, at Irish Greyhound Derby Final. Missed all the footie news. Next day at breakfast one of my mates....

Here, Charlton won 5-1 at Ipswich..... Me yes of course they did.
    Leaburn scored a hatrick....... Me now I know your bloody lieing
  • Options
    Unbelievably, my dad's mate predicted not only the score, but the first scorer. At half time we were one down, Phil Chapple had gone off after colliding with their keeper and came back on with his head bandaged. I asked what everyone thought the score would be and Big Al instantly replied, 5-1 to Charlton, Chapple to get the first. I asked how he came up with this unlikely result and he replied that earlier in the season Chapple had got a head injury and been bandaged up against Peterboro at the Valley. In that game Chapple scored the equaliser and we went on to win 5-1.
    Out of interest did Big Al sit in the East Stand.....block F  ??  We used to sit in front of a group of blocks & one was always referred to as Big Al. 
  • Options
    Did Pardew play in that game ? 
    Am sure teletext gave him as scoring a goal once when it was actually Leaburn and thought it was this game for some reason 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Did Pardew play in that game ? 
    Am sure teletext gave him as scoring a goal once when it was actually Leaburn and thought it was this game for some reason 
    Pardew was with Barnet by then. Played against us in the League Cup that season 
  • Options
    I was on my honeymoon 😊