Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    I can't believe that a man like Dyche cannot see the difference between football clubs and other industries? That Martin Samuel in the Mail says he is right (I only read the headline on my newsfeed - don't worry viewers, they didn't get a "click" from me) speaks volumes.   
  • Options
    I have little sympathy for the PL owners/players who’ve been living off of the good times in recent years. If a club can afford to pay a player £50,000 per week then they should have prepared for a major drop in income. 
    The clubs that we should be helping are those outside the top two leagues like the Colchester or Exeter etc who really are cash strapped even in the best of times. It’s not just the players, it’s the back room staff, the catering people that need help.
  • Options
    Virtually every club outside a handful of 'permanent' Premier League clubs lived outside their means pre-Covid.  

Just select a few at random and look up their accounts at Companies House and check the accumulated profit/loss account on the balance sheet.  Some of the numbers are mind-boggling - Charlton is £70m, our dear friends at the Den is £82m etc..

The case for a bailout either from the Premier League or even the govt would be a lot stronger if it wasn't for the above.  This is quite different from say the theatre or concert business which were both profitable and self-sustaining before Covid hit.  
  • Options
    If the Premier league kept back 10m from every club this season that's 200m they could distribute to leagues 1 and 2 and the National league. So around 2.7m to each club.

Most clubs would barely notice 10m. Arsenal for example are paying Ozil 18m a year to sit at home. Palace paying Benteke 6m a year to do nothing. Spurs paying Danny Rose to sit at home. I'm sure there are many others.

I completely get that it's not really the PL's responsibility but at the same time, they should realise that it's better for English football if clubs do not die. In the England squad the following players either started out at a club now in the lower leagues/non league or played for one on loan:

Pickford, Pope, Henderson, Maguire, Walker, Gomez, Mings, Maitland-Niles, Grealish, Maddison, Wilson, Ings.