Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

book thread

so what's everybody reading at the moment...i'm halfway through The Generals, the second book in the story around napoleon and the duke of wellington...a bit predictable, i can see these two blokes having an almighty dust-up in the third book when it comes out...

Comments

• Options
    Agincourt - Juliet Baker
    Ireland The Awakening - Edward Rutherford
    Londonistan - Guatam Malkani
    Book of Lost Things - John Connolly
    The Book Thief -Markus Zusak

All to be taken to the Algarve on holiday next week ... and looking forward to meeting AlgarveAddick at his bar next Wednesday evening for quiz night.
  • Options
    Don't read much, magazines and newspapers mostly but when I do read a book it doesn't get put down until it's been finished.

Curbishley's book must have been the last one I read or a book by a Croat about the (latest) Balkan wars.
  • Options
    Just finished Vulcan 607 by Rowland White. Read it in 4 days - could't put it down.

It's the story of the bombing raid that kicked-off the English side of the Falklands war. Wholeheartedly recommend it.
  • Options
    The Ball is Round: A global history of football. OK but should have waited till it came out in paperback. It's huge.
  • Options
    I keep putting off, finishing the second half of the last book in the Stephen King Dark Tower series, which is awesome.

King wrote over 25 years! People are lucky to have all the books here today!
  • Options
    just finishing louis theroux's call of the weird (follow up to tv docs).

next two in line are logan's run (pre-dates the film) and cormac mccarthy's the road.
  • Options
    currently reading:
    Cries Unheard - Gitta Sereny
    A set of three Thomas Ripley Novels - Patricia Highsmith

after that i should stop reading and do some writing
  • Options
    nearly finished Rough Music by Patrick Fale, before that The Small Boat of Great Sorrows
    by Dan Fesperman . I did start to read Saturday by Ian McEwan, but it was rubbish (imho!) despite me liking some of his other books especially Atonement which is an amazing book (read it before the film comes out in the autumn!).

Going to give Anna Kerenina a go next - I might be gone for a while!
  • Options
    i'm reading Spike by Norma Farnes. it's about Spike Milligan's life and is funny but also tragic.
  • Options
    Currently reading 'Catch 22'. Takes a bit of getting used to at first but brilliantly written. Draws the logic out of absurdities until you're not sure which makes the most sense! Amazing to see toned down examples of the barmy characters all the time in every day life as well!

Next up is 'Still Life With Woodpecker' which I looked up after someone mentioned it on here and liked the sound of....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I got Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky about 6 months ago but still haven't managed to start it!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]i'm reading Spike by Norma Farnes. it's about Spike Milligan's life and is funny but also tragic.

have you read the 'adolf hitler, my part in his downfall' type books he wrote, they are definitely worth picking up if you can still get them...and keeping on the wartime biography theme, i once picked up a hardback by michael bentine for 25p, the long banana skin, that's definitely worth a read...he wrote about his time in the RAF during the war and how before a raid he would see those that were going to die as a skull instead of their face...spooky
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]i'm reading Spike by Norma Farnes. it's about Spike Milligan's life and is funny but also tragic.

have you read the 'adolf hitler, my part in his downfall' type books he wrote, they are definitely worth picking up if you can still get them...and keeping on the wartime biography theme, i once picked up a hardback by michael bentine for 25p, the long banana skin, that's definitely worth a read...he wrote about his time in the RAF during the war and how before a raid he would those that were going to die as a skull instead of their face...spooky

cheers for the info ltgtr!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Agreed - they are brilliant, I still have them somewhere in my loft - will have to get them out and read again.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    of course, the best autobiography i think i've ever read is david niven's the moons a ballon and the follow up bring on the empty horses - two great reads...definitely worth picking up if you ever see a copy...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]Next up is 'Still Life With Woodpecker' which I looked up after someone mentioned it on here and liked the sound of....
    That was me! Ollie should've started reading that by now, I sent him my copy!
    Catch 22 is great.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [quote] [cite]Posted By: Firefli[/cite]I keep putting off, finishing the second half of the last book in the Stephen King Dark Tower series, which is awesome.

King wrote over 25 years! People are lucky to have all the books here today! [/quote]

i finished reading these when the last book came out last year.. great series but since ive read these ive found an author called david gemmell.. when you read his books with characters like skillgannon the damned and druss the legend.. you realise quickly that the dark tower series aint all that compared to some of the other fantasy stuff thats out there..
  • Options
    Jay - have you read the Philip Pulman trilogy "His Dark Materials" ?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Jay - have you read the Philip Pulman trilogy "His Dark Materials" ?[/quote]

yeah this was really fun.. some of the characters in these books are great like the polar bear in with the stolen armour who likes a drink.. cant remeber his name though.. apparentlet there making these into films as well.

has anyone ever read anything by steven leather? some of this guys books are essential reading too..
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Iorek Byrnison is the bear, great character .... the people who did LOTR films are doing the film of the first book, due out at Christmas time - fingers crossed they won't ruin a fantastic story.

Nicole Kidman plays Mrs Coultier and Daniel Craig will be Lord Asriel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks to some comments on here - Robin Friday (The Greatest Player You Never Saw). Good read
  • Options
    at the moment catch 22-joseph heller,read it about 20 years ago,or should i say got half way through it,got pissed up and left on the train.Once thats finished it'll be last exit to brooklyn
  • Options
    Currently reading:

In the name of Rome - Adrain Goldsworthy - a study of Roman generals/military commanders over the years.

Ragtime - EL Doctorow, a novel which involves some real-life characters (eg Harry Houdini) and is based around three families/groups of people that represent different sectors of American society - one a one to do middle class family, one a Jewish immigrant and his daughter and an African-American pianist turned revolutionary, it's set in the years from 1900-1917.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Iorek Byrnison is the bear, great character .... the people who did LOTR films are doing the film of the first book, due out at Christmas time - fingers crossed they won't ruin a fantastic story.

Nicole Kidman plays Mrs Coultier and Daniel Craig will be Lord Asriel.

The Golden Compass
  • Options
    Love the Dark Material trilogy, had no idea they were making a film, superb!
  • Options
    Recommend that anyone who hasn't read it start soon, incredible books!
    First book is called "Northern Lights" LINK: Amazon.co.uk
    (in the US they called it The Golden Compass, which I think is the name of the film)
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]The Ball is Round: A global history of football. OK but should have waited till it came out in paperback. It's huge.[/quote]

me too ben , I too have the hardback , jesus it's heavy
  • Options
    What is the what - Dave Eggers

Story of Sudanese refugee/child soldier that encounters just as many problems when he arrives in the USA as an asylum seeker.

Excellent book that I highly recommend, it also gives a great historical insight into the current war and genocide in Darfur.
  • Options
    I've (literally) just read "The Gruffalo" to my 4 year old.

What a cracking kids book, better than all of the PC rubbish that's everywhere these days!
  • Options
    Beating them at their own game. Patrick West
    Irish footballers once of the GAA who went on to play the "foreign" game of soccer.