Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I read in the paper 1979 Palace was top in the country.Was we ever top in the country even for one day?.

Comments

• Options
    5-10-79
    After eight matches 12 points palace that year.I think I remember 2nd in the 2000's?.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Cleanse thy soul young man!

Cast out the Devil and his evil imps!

Eternity in the firey bowls of Hell will not be long enough if thee persist in this heretical nonsense!
  • Options
    Yes, I think it may have been our first season in Prem when we were eventually relegated or the season when we went back to the Prem after being promoted as Champions.
  • Options
    Yes, I think it may have been our first season in Prem when we were eventually relegated or the season when we went back to the Prem after being promoted as Champions.
    Year 2000?.
  • Options
    Weren't we top after five games in Curbs' last year

Seem to remember MoTD starting saying it was first v second (Chelsea came to the Valley) with the top scorer in the League too (Bent) 
  • Options

Seem to remember MoTD starting saying it was first v second (Chelsea came to the Valley) with the top scorer in the League too (Bent) 
    Maybe?
  • Options
    Would have been 98 I think. Mendonca hattrick and Saints had their keeper sent off and had no replacement on the bench iirc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been there, done that... 😉
    I can sense a "that should be in a museum" post coming...
    Cool.
  • Options
    2000-01 we beat city 4-0 on the first day. surely we were top then?
  • Options
    IanJRO said:
    Would have been 98 I think. Mendonca hattrick and Saints had their keeper sent off and had no replacement on the bench iirc
    Yeah but we had previously drawn at Newcastle 
  • Options
    It's happened a few times, pretty sure Millwall were top of division 1 at one stage.

• Options

Pretty poor seeing as they're the oldest club in the world.
  • Options
    We went top after beating Southampton 5 0 in our first PL season. 

Would imagine we would have been top at some point when we finished in the old 1st Division as well
    Yep. I had to watch that sitting in the Jimmy Seed stand because they hadn't quite finished the new West Stand and so home supporters were allowed seats in the South stand.
  • Options

Would imagine we would have been top at some point when we finished in the old 1st Division as well
    Yep. I had to watch that sitting in the Jimmy Seed stand because they hadn't quite finished the new West Stand and so home supporters were allowed seats in the South stand.
    We had season ticket holders in the Jimmy Seed back then. It was a few seasons later that the 3k or 10% of capacity whichever is smallest rule was introduced to the premier league. Back when we had an atmosphere and the old Covered End.  :disappointed:
  • Options
    We must have been top during the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s at some points - we were one of the biggest clubs in the land then

As an aside, I have all the home programmes from the Palace ‘team of the 80’s’ period when they were in Div 1 for 2 seasons - I was offered them years ago by a collector, and thought they were an interesting collection to own - they had a good side, incl of course Flash Flanagan 

And before anyone leaps on me for owning them, they were just of interest, nothing else !!!

I went through a period of collecting not only CAFC programmes (got a couple of very old ones) and also collected interesting ones from non CAFC matches (the 89 Liverpool vs Arsenal match for example)
  • Options
    Even worse than that, I seem to recall Palace cramming in over 50,000 for a game, I think against Burnley around 1979. Or was I having a nightmare ? 
  • Options

We had season ticket holders in the Jimmy Seed back then. It was a few seasons later that the 3k or 10% of capacity whichever is smallest rule was introduced to the premier league. Back when we had an atmosphere and the old Covered End.  :disappointed:
    We were not allowed to watch that game as they moved season ticket holders in from the unfinished west upper for that game into the jimmy seed. Fuming 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We were. Second when we played Chelsea in September.

We managed to keep second spot until 14th October, and with a game in hand. Pretty good going I reckon.

• Options
    TEL said:
    Even worse than that, I seem to recall Palace cramming in over 50,000 for a game, I think against Burnley around 1979. Or was I having a nightmare ? 
    Nope you were not - they did - Shithurst had a large open terrace where Sainsbury’s is now - it was last game of season and they to get promotion to Div 1 - nearly 52,000 there - of course WAY lower than Charlton’s record attendance 😊
  • Options
    It's happened a few times, pretty sure Millwall were top of division 1 at one stage.

Great song

and

Great fuckin album that. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Nope you were not - they did - Shithurst had a large open terrace where Sainsbury’s is now - it was last game of season and they to get promotion to Div 1 - nearly 52,000 there - of course WAY lower than Charlton’s record attendance 😊
    There must have been 10k Charlton there hoping to cheer on Burnley. Well that's the number I was hoping would cheer if Burnley scored.
    Pretty shit decision to go in the end. 
  • Options

Wasn't that the year they got relegated? Or actually, come to think of it, that was in the second tier I think. 

Just goes to show though, it's not where you start it's where you finish!
  • Options
    Yes, I recall them being top in December and getting relegated. The year we beat them away 2-0 with Grant scoring I think. Mick McCarthy was their manager. Is this right or is my memory playing tricks?