Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Don't compare 18/19 with 20/21

edited September 2020 in General Charlton
18/19 Players20/21 PlayersBetter/Worse
PositionsPlayedPlayed>/</=
1GKPhillipsAmos=
2GKSteerna<
3LBPagena<
4LBPurringtonPurrington=
5LBStevensonna<
6CBBauerOshilaja<
7CBSarrFamewo?
8CBPearceBarker<
9RBDijksteelna<
10RBSollyna<
11CMBielikLevitt?
12CMPratleyPratley=
13CMCullenOztumer<
14CMWilliamsWilliams=
15CMFCaskeyFCaskey=
16CMAriboGilbey<
17CMReevesMorgan>?
18CMLapslieLapslie=
19LMFosuDoughty=
20RMMarshallna<
21FWGrantBonne<
22FWTaylorWashington<
23FWAjoseAneke>?
24FWVetokelena<
25FWWardna<
26FWParkerna<
27FWHFairchildna<
28CMnaWatson?

You really can't compare these two sides with the amount of gaps in the squad. I have seen people comparing the two sides and for me, given the state of our current squad that is madness. 

This is only players that have played so far, but if we're allowed a squad of 22 we need to fill those spare places and get a few games strung together. A bigger concern for me is that we appear to have continued our form of last season. I'm not sure how different players would affect that lack of morale.

Think we have to see how we're doing as Bowyer says, each 9 games look at where you are and set a target for the next 9. 

Comments

• Options
    I believe the squad of 23 only applied to teams under sanctions, like our transfer embargo.
    Now that's lifted, we can sign any number - providing the salary cap is not exceeded.

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Haven’t you just compared the two squads?!
     Yes and no, I have compared the number of players to have played in each season. 

Oggy Red said:
    I believe the squad of 23 only applied to teams under sanctions, like our transfer embargo.
    Now that's lifted, we can sign any number - providing the salary cap is not exceeded.
    Are you sure? Football League FC states:

League One and League Two clubs will be limited their squad size to 22 players for the 2020/21 season.

This will be reduced to 21 and 20 in subsequent seasons (2021/22 and 2022/23 season respectively).

Players aged under the age of 21 are exempt from these restrictions.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Oggy Red said:

The salary cap is going to be an interesting issue. A £2.5M cap = £50k a week, I would guess that some of what I assume are higher paid players such as Williams, JFC, Pratley and Aneke would only have the league average salary counted as they signed before the deadline so we are probably at around half of the cap currently. That would leave us with between £20k - £30k a week to play with which should be enough for Bowyer to bring in a few decent players at this level.

I think bonuses related to promotion don’t count towards the cap (because they are conditional) so we might be able to sweeten some deals there. If you sign a 3 year contract then there’s a reasonable chance that Charlton will be promoted in that time so you might accept a slightly lower salary in exchange for a nice bonus there (let’s not go crazy though - guaranteed money is what really counts). 
  • Options
    That's a handy visual breakdown, in computer game format. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
     Yes and no, I have compared the number of players to have played in each season. 

Oggy Red said:

League One and League Two clubs will be limited their squad size to 22 players for the 2020/21 season.

This will be reduced to 21 and 20 in subsequent seasons (2021/22 and 2022/23 season respectively).

Okay, I hadn't found that when I googled it.

But nevertheless, "Players aged under the age of 21 are exempt from these restrictions."

How many of our current players count for our 22-man squad right now?
    Obviously, Alfie, Davidson, Vennings, Morgan, Barker, AMB, etc don't count.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

Okay, I hadn't found that when I googled it.

But nevertheless, "Players aged under the age of 21 are exempt from these restrictions."

How many of our current players count for our 22-man squad right now?
    Obviously, Alfie, Davidson, Vennings, Morgan, Barker, AMB, etc don't count.

Yeah I think those were included previously due to us being under injunction. So that frees up another 7 positions. 

Get Cracking TS, LB & SG
  • Options
    I think that is quite interesting. I don't think you can assume the same player is the same, e.g. you would hope Lapslie is better than he was, Pratley may be declining a bit, though he is in good shape. 

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:

I think bonuses related to promotion don’t count towards the cap (because they are conditional) so we might be able to sweeten some deals there. If you sign a 3 year contract then there’s a reasonable chance that Charlton will be promoted in that time so you might accept a slightly lower salary in exchange for a nice bonus there (let’s not go crazy though - guaranteed money is what really counts). 

A promotion bonus would be the best carrot on a stick to entice a prospective player, yet still stay within the wage cap.
    Nothing like an incentive, is there?

In any case, should we get promoted ..... surely any player that we want to keep would be offered an improved contract by us in the Championship.

They'll know that, so there's yet another incentive.

• Options
    I think that is quite interesting. I don't think you can assume the same player is the same, e.g. you would hope Lapslie is better than he was, Pratley may be declining a bit, though he is in good shape. 
     True, I don't think any have declined in fairness to them. I just don't think any have kicked on really either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:

A promotion bonus would be the best carrot on a stick to entice a prospective player, yet still stay within the wage cap.

In any case, should we get promoted ..... surely any player that we want to keep would be offered an improved contract by us in the Championship.

I would guess a lot of contracts we offer in L1 include a guaranteed salary increase if we get promoted to the Champ. Hopefully we have relegation clauses to reduce salaries if things don’t go quite as planned! 
  • Options
    Nice work Dazzler! Excellent anaylysis
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:

I would guess a lot of contracts we offer in L1 include a guaranteed salary increase if we get promoted to the Champ. Hopefully we have relegation clauses to reduce salaries if things don’t go quite as planned! 
    We did last year. Also why Lockyer could leave.

• Options
    Why can’t you compare? The 2018/19 squad and first eleven possible from it far superior. But we all know that. Duchatalet and ESI the culprits there. 
    This was a team from then:

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Sarr Page
    Aribo Cullen Bielik Fosu
    Grant Taylor 
    !!
  • Options
    Also, the team in 18/19 only just sneaked 3rd place and wasn’t even in the playoffs for most of the season. Wasn’t like we pissed the league.

You’ve made a mistake in your analysis though. I’d say “na” is an improvement on both Josh Parker and Hackett-Fairchild!
  • Options
    If ">" means this season's player is an improvement on the his equivalent from two years ago, "<" means this season's player isn't as good and "=" means they are roughly the same, is it safe to assume that "?" means you're not yet sure whether this season's player is better or worse than the player you have listed as his equivalent from two years ago? 

If so, I think you're being a bit harsh on Ben Watson. 

• Options
    Who are these people comparing, its a no brainer, the 20/21 sqaud is a shadow of the 18/19 squad.
  • Options
    I never like comparing teams (or, squads, in this case), but I think we need to see where we are in a few weeks' time as that is the next step of the anticipated progress. It's likely that Roland, ESI et al have not only caused relegation but will make this a bumpy year as well. The arrival of TS on the scene, even if things go well, is not as simple as turning on a light switch. I'd settle for this season ending with us looking like a decent team that can be up there next season with a couple of additions.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    Why can’t you compare? The 2018/19 squad and first eleven possible from it far superior. But we all know that. Duchatalet and ESI the culprits there. 
    This was a team from then:

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Sarr Page
    Aribo Cullen Bielik Fosu
    Grant Taylor 
    !!
    How many times did that play together?  I would guess zero?