Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grant loan deal to West Brom

Comments

• Options
    Why would you loan your top scorer to someone in the league above? Is that just a move to increase his value for when they eventually sell him?
  • Options
    Not actually bothered by this. Think it's only a matter of time before Grant leaves Hudds (unlike Gomez who could easily stay at Liverpool for the majority of his career). Doesn't seem like we're desperate for money right now so don't think it's a big issue. 

Could work in our favour. Get promoted, pocket 3-4 mil and use it to build a decent championship squad. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    So ..... West Brom are 'renting' Grant for a season for only £5m , but obligated to pay a further £13m should they stay up?

Is that arrangement watertight - for example, say Grant scores 10 goals before Christmas, could Hudds then recall him in the January window and flog him to say Villa for £30m?

Otherwise should West Brom be relegated at the end of the season, does that mean Grant returns to Hudds?

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    So ..... West Brom are 'renting' Grant for a season for only £5m , but obligated to pay a further £13m should they stay up?

Is that arrangement watertight - for example, say Grant scores 10 goals before Christmas, could Hudds then recall him and flog him to say Villa for £30m?

Otherwise should West Brom be relegated at the end of the season, does that mean Grant returns to Hudds?

Looks like a loan with an obligation to buy dependant on a certain condition(s). I've seen quite a few loans like that where it's dependant on a number of appearances. Quite a decent one for West Brom but obviously 5mil down the drain if he does shit and they go down. 

Or even worse if he does well and they go down. He scores 20 and he's suddenly valued at 25mil but West Brom don't get the benefits. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Is that arrangement watertight - for example, say Grant scores 10 goals before Christmas, could Hudds then recall him and flog him to say Villa for £30m?

Looks like a loan with an obligation to buy dependant on a certain condition(s). I've seen quite a few loans like that where it's dependant on a number of appearances. Quite a decent one for West Brom but obviously 5mil down the drain if he does shit and they go down. 
    West Brom could spend £25m on a striker who does shit and they go down.

Anyway, many 'loan' agreements come at a price   ....... basically you 'rent' the player for a given period - and pay a fee for doing so.

• Options
    We will be due a percentage of profit on him so as long as the original deal was structured correctly we will be due a percentage of that £5m now over the original fee.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

West Brom could spend £25m on a striker who does shit and they go down.

Anyway, many 'loan' agreements come at a price   ....... basically you 'rent' the player for a given period - and pay a fee for doing so.

True enough, bigger risk if them going down and his value rising because of his personal performances. They lose 5mil and Huddersfield gain. 
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    We will be due a percentage of profit on him so as long as the original deal was structured correctly we will be due a percentage of that £5m now over the original fee.
    I doubt we'll get anything from the loan fee, just any transfer fee. 
  • Options
    i expect to be in the prem for this season only - yes prem football but to play in 2 relegated prem sides isnt great for your value nor your cv. 
  • Options
    Suspect Huddersfield want him off the wage bill, and West Brom want convincing he can do it again in the Premier League
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i expect to be in the prem for this season only - yes prem football but to play in 2 relegated prem sides isnt great for your value nor your cv. 
    Guess it depends more on the players position 

Wouldnt be too bothered about a Striker being relegated twice compared to a Goalkeeper or Defender 

If Grant can get double figures then it wont really harm his reputation, in fact will enhance it as a Striker as a be a sign he can score goals for a struggling team
  • Options
    Guess it depends more on the players position 

Wouldnt be too bothered about a Striker being relegated twice compared to a Goalkeeper or Defender 

If Grant can get double figures then it wont really harm his reputation, in fact will enhance it as a Striker as a be a sign he can score goals for a struggling team
    Agreed, that spell in the PL when he scored and looked like Huddersfield's best player did a lot for his reputation
  • Options
    I think the £5m loan fee has to be classed as part of the transfer fee. I suppose it becomes a small print job.
  • Options
    It's a smart deal for the cashflow. 

Effectively a £18m transfer with the ability to not be committed to a player (and just lose the £5m if relegated).

Especially as if they stay up he would have no doubt had a hand in it and you would therefore probably want him anyway.

Good business. 
  • Options
    20% of £5m is £1m, 10%, £500k. Does anybody know our percentage?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Herman's whole career was getting relegated.
    Listened to the Football Cliches podcast, and they put Hermann in their "Too good for the championship, not good enough for the Premier League" XI, due to his relegations.

Outraged! 
  • Options
    20% of £5m is £1m, 10%, £500k. Does anybody know our percentage?
    I didn't know you were good at Maths?
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    I doubt we'll get anything from the loan fee, just any transfer fee. 
    agree, we'll get nothing now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A deal that works for both clubs.

WBA get him cheaply and if he does well and they stay up they've got a bargain. If they go down then they've lost 5m, but they could go and buy a striker for 30m and still go down.

Huddersfield get 5m now and get him off the wage bill and can't lose really. If WBA stay up then they get the full transfer fee, if he scores goals but they still go down his value might increase and they could sell him for more, and even if he does shit and they go down then they've got their player back but made 5m.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:
    iaitch said:
    Herman's whole career was getting relegated.
    Listened to the Football Cliches podcast, and they put Hermann in their "Too good for the championship, not good enough for the Premier League" XI, due to his relegations.

Outraged! 
    He certainly seemed good enough for the PL in the three successful seasons he played for us before relegation in 2007 - outstanding at left back for us!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I wonder what the position is in terms of us getting a percentage of the £5m. It is a fee, not the paying of his wages whilst on loan. It could be likened to payment in instalments with a get out. Maybe one for Freshfields to look at or maybe there isn't a dispute.

What we could argue is if the player is sold, that £5m is part of the sale price or it could be used to avoid financial obligations to us.