Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Brighton | EFL Trophy | Wed 30 Sept | 7pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    Quite a good game with Mingi my MOM  , Brighton had very few chances . Morgan and Vennings did well in midfield and Davison worked hard on his own up front . The three senior players were all poor . 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Seen the extended highlights so based off the 50/55 minutes of play I saw.

Maynard-Brewer:  8.5 - Very decent showing. Little could be done about Lapslie's goal.
    Lapslie: 4 - Time the dream ended. Great strikers finish, keeper had no chance.
    Barker: 7 decent
    Mingi: 7 decent
    Vega: 6 not quite at the races, but believe like Barker he's a CB not a full back.
    Morgan: 7.5 great reactionary goal. Absolutely rifled his penalty too.
    Watson: 6 expected more, gave the ball away a lot first half.
    Vennings: 7.5 good tidy player.
    Forster-Caskey: 4 expected more 
    Williams: 3 first half Albie got the ball to him in decent positions three times. Every time he dawdled and lost the ball. Didn't do any tracking and didn't take anyone on and win. 
    Davison: 6 strong, but another I expect more from.
    Henry: 6 nothing amazing or awful. Positive though.
  • Options
    Aaron Henry is going to play at the highest level, you can tell that even at 17 years old. Lovely footballer.
    If I had a pound for every time someone has said that about a youth team player. Especially after their first few performances, I would be a rich man. 

That's not to say he won't, of course.
  • Options
    Needs to shave that top lip though...
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    AndyG said:
    Have voiced this before, and I understand it's very much an unpopular opinion. But if Bowyer does not think Williams can start and play most of a game then I'd rather not have him in the squad.

Him coming on and playing little cameos like he did after the covid break last season, and so far this season, is not really reaping any benifits for the team. 
    I agree I just dont see what he brings. I know most on here rate him but from what I see he always flatters to deceive and delivers very little
    I have been saying this for ages. All fur coat and no knickers.

Dated a girl like that once.
    Wish I had.
    I did, used to come to meet me in a coat & boots...... nothing else  :D
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Doesn’t sound very impressed with JW
    I don't know why LB is surprised. JW said on signing that he doesn't score goals & he's main attribute is that he gives the ball to the players who make the assists.

Can't help it if he tells the truth. They say, when someone tells you who they are then listen. JW did.

And then we offer him another years contract in the summer. 

You do wonder sometimes.

• Options
    I don't know why LB is surprised. JW said on signing that he doesn't score goals & he's main attribute is that he gives the ball to the players who make the assists.

Can't help it if he tells the truth. They say, when someone tells you who they are then listen. JW did.

You do wonder sometimes.

His big problem is that he hits the ground far too often. Wins free kicks until the ref spots what's he's doing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hugely disappointed with Williams since football restarted. I would have hoped he would have made a statement to Bowyer by his performances. He hasn’t though, obviously a very talented football but to me seems to be coasting through at the moment. 
  • Options
    The good news is that Orient should beat Wimbledon's reserve youth team next week to knock us out.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    What I saw was encouraging. You can see potential in some of the players but also the understandable rawness that has to be ironed out. Including in Barker. But his range of passing is excellent and he is the real thing and we should be excited about him.

In terms of players close to the first team. It was a decent run out for Watson, Williams and JFC although none really stood out. Morgan was terrific for me. I think Bowyer would have been pleased and he deserves a place on the bench on Saturday. I know the opposition wasn't the best, but he was the best player on the pitch by quite a margin IMO. When Brighton got on top possession wise due to our inexperienced midfield, he quietened down a bit but you can see the game we want from him really developing.
  • Options

You do wonder sometimes.

We didn't, there was a one year extension option in his contract, and Jonny took it up

• Options
    With L. Vega in the side we could do with Mambo at Number 5.
  • Options
    Sounds like Lapslie and JFC could be in the last chance saloon (with Williams hovering on the brink).  If we bring in higher quality replacements, I just don't see where they fit into the picture at all....not least because we have some very talented players coming through the youth pipeline as well.
  • Options
    Williams will always be in the picture at League One level. He is too good not to be. We know JFC is a decent player but maybe hasn't found his game yet and Lapslie is a jack of all trades player, maybe master of none, but useful in League One. 
  • Options
    Sounds like Lapslie and JFC could be in the last chance saloon (with Williams hovering on the brink).  If we bring in higher quality replacements, I just don't see where they fit into the picture at all....not least because we have some very talented players coming through the youth pipeline as well.
    Agree with this. 

Personally think Oztumer is better suited to L1 than Williams given their respective records here. 
  • Options
    Williams will always be in the picture at League One level. He is too good not to be. We know JFC is a decent player but maybe hasn't found his game yet and Lapslie is a jack of all trades player, maybe master of none, but useful in League One. 
    We can't and shouldn't keep everyone. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    We can't and shouldn't keep everyone. 
    Exactly right. I think the writing is on the wall for these 3 players
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    We have suffered because our squad has been too weak, there is scope to bring players in and not let players go, unless there are developmental reasons for it. Even when we went up the season before last there was a spell when we had a few injuries where the team just wasn't strong enough and it didn't surprise me we lost two on the trot (one was away to Blackpool, can't recall the other). 

Going up was achieved despite being short of strikers at the end. 
  • Options
    Wasn’t able to be there tonight.

Though, a big shout out to my boys on the comeback and calmness in the penalty shoot-out to get the extra pointAnd, Congrats to @AlbieMorgan1 on his 1st senior goal

• Options
    ross1 said:
    The Aussies are always good at fielding, all those diving stops on the boundary to save runs