Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Varney and not Eastwood

edited July 2007 in General Charlton
Interesting line from Pards on the OS about Varney signing.

"I'm very pleased with those two and Luke Varney was a player I wanted to sign for West Ham United, let alone Charlton, so I'm very pleased to get him.”

Seem that Luke was always Pards first choice and he rates him highly

Comments

• Options
    Worth remembering that no Premiership clubs went in for Eastwood, but there was Premiership Clubs interested in Varney
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Interesting line from Pards let alone Charlton,

let alone charlton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    i'm sure its accidental, but its not the first time Pardew belittle's us when comparing to the great West Ham......
  • Options
    they won the world cup you know
  • Options
    Perhaps reading too much into it? the fact is he's been interested in Varney for a while rather than West Ham beeing the bigger better club is how i percieve it.
  • Options
    Good spot Riscardo, dont like that line at all.

Time will tell, personally as we can afford both I would rather have both.

I dont know much about Varney, I do know a fair bit about Eastwood and he will score 20+ goals for Wolves next season.
  • Options
    so at the same price, who do you think will score more goals next season, Varney or Eastwood ?
  • Options
    If they were both in our side then Eastwood.

But I have to say Varney now dont I.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]so at the same price, who do you think will score more goals next season, Varney or Eastwood ?[/quote]

Assuming both stay fit etc it'll be close, I'd have been happy had we signed Eastwood over Varney but maybe Varney will be the better player over the long-term.
  • Options
    I think we'll be suprised by Varney
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Im happy with the Varney signing.

Only thing that slightly puts me off is that he hasnt done it at our level yet, Eastwood has.

I reckon Varney/Dickson could be a winner though.
  • Options
    Iwelumo seems to be the forgotten man in our signings
  • Options
    Also worth bearing in mind that with Iwelumo we have a player who can compliment Varney very well, I can see Iwelumo as the target man and Varney playing off him, scoring goals is often about teamwork and if that partnership gels then Varney will look a good signing and cost effective.

Eastwood though ahs been around for a year or two longer and given that £3m or whatever he went for is small money for Prem teams I wonder why no Premiership team took a risk on him.
  • Options
    I think that Pards is just saying that he was interested in him in the Premiership let alone now when he is managing a Championship club. Perhaps a sloppy use of language but compared to Curbs or Dowie, he is Shakespeare to their McGonagle.
  • Options
    And where does Todorov fit into this dynamic striking force?
  • Options
    I think we are covered on the striker front.

M Bent - Don't really rate him that much to be honest, but could be ok in the CCC. When Dazza was injured this season he did put in a few decent performances. Got a standing ovation at one stage (WOW). Just saying hes not as footballer as we all think, just attitude.

Iwelumo - scored 18 for Colchester! 18+ More for Charlton me thinks..

Todorov - A handy little bit part striker. Can see him notching 10/15 goals.

Dickson - Untested and could easily prove to be quality signing if he gets a start.

Varney - I think this kid will be the best signing yet. He was the first signing made by pards, thats saying something. He wanted him quickly and paid a high price for him considering our budget. I think Varney will end up being top scorer. No pressure son!
  • Options
    na he just means he wanted to sign him when at westham, don't read too much into it.
  • Options
    a work mate of mine drives part time for kings ferry coaches and does mainly football games fans and teams
    he done a few southend games away last season for the team and eastwood has back problems
  • Options
    a work mate of mine drives part time for a kent coach company and does mainly football games players and fans done a few southend games last season mainly players and has said eastwood has back problems
  • Options
    Probably gets his back problems from lugging his caravan round Essex looking for new camping sites.