Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Technical issues

2»

Comments

• Options
    Aliwibble not sure what you mean or how I would tell
  • Options
    Anymore thoughts on this aliwibble?
  • Options
    @Bournesnr I don't have an ipad so I'm not sure whether the controls are the same as on my android tablet, but basically I hit the 3 vertically aligned dots menu and then scrolled down to where it said Desktop site. If it's unticked you're using the mobile site and if it's ticked you're using the web version. I tried replicating the problem on my tablet the other day for the benefit of you and @bazjonster, but it was working fine for me back then. However I tried it just now to check the precise wording of the menu and it looked similar to what you described (except without the ads). Switching over to the desktop version of the site did the trick, and it seems to be fine again once I go back to the mobile version. Can you guys give that a go and see if that works for you as well?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

My screen keeps doing this when I am on the site. And it's only CL that causes it. Anyone had anything similar or know what's going on?
    Switch off your Nescafé and Hermes apps, they’re always causing problems. 
    You’re welcome 😀
  • Options
    Thanks for trying aliwibble but I don’t have the dots menu, I have been all through my settings menu and cannot find anything referring to mobile or desktop, this started when I was away using a strange WiFi the battery died and when recharged I had the access to CL problem, back home now but the problem persists, not sure if this is re
  • Options
    Problem resolved for me, bazjonster try: Settings Safari then from the right hand list select advanced I turned off the JavaScript button and hey presto I can now see all posts. I must be more computer savvy than I thought.
  • Options
    Update perhaps I'm not as clever as I thought, I now have another issue whilst I can see all posts when in my profile if I click the 'like' button or 'lol' button I get the message that I need JavaScript enabled, think I can live without seeing who's liking my posts.
  • Options
    Not a good idea turning JavaScript off as it seems to affect all other websites.
    back to square one 
  • Options
    Hmm, the fact that it worked ok when you turned javascript off suggests there's a script running that's causing a problem. Unfortunately that side of stuff is not my thing, so I can't really help - @LoOkOuT have you got any ideas?
  • Options
    I'd clear all history, cache and cookies from Safari. Here's how: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201265.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have followed the instructions given on the link you posted LoOkOuT but still have the same problem ie can see adverts but nothing else 
  • Options
    Bazjonster did you find a cure for your problems viewing CL? I'm still only able to view posts if JavaScript is switched off.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    @Bournesnr so we know you're using safari. Can you identify what version of the browser you've got, and what version of iOS you're running? Also, are you connecting to https://forum.charltonlife.com/ or https://charltonlife.vanillacommunity.com/ ?
  • Options
    Sorry aliwibble how do I find the info you're asking for, I'm afraid my technical knowledge is zero
  • Options
    Sorry again aliwibble I do know I'm going in using forum.charltonlife.com
  • Options
    Me again not sure if it's relevant but: Use forum.charltonlife.com I can see the adverts But if I use vanilla community I just get a blank page.
  • Options
    The difference between the two different versions of the site is interesting, and rules out one possible workaround, so thanks for that. This is going to be a case of the blind leading the blind here I'm afraid, as I don't use iOS, so I've got no idea what the config options are like. Try this to find the version info:
    https://www.lifewire.com/check-the-version-number-of-safari-446563
    (you'll need to scroll down a bit for the "Find the Safari Version Number on an IOS Device" section). It's also worth checking to see if it says you need to update to the latest version. If it does, don't do the update straight away, as it might be a good idea to do some backing up of important stuff first, but let us know what it says.
  • Options
    @Bournesnr to find out your IOS version on your iPhone or IPad go to Settlings / General / About / Software Version

it should show a figure 12.4.9
  • Options
    Just putting my ten pennyworth in here for what it is worth
    I had a similar scenario of only seeing adverts when i had my
    IPad, and it was on IOS 9.5.3, and wouldn't upgrade as it was too
    old, which i took as an answer as to why CL wouldn't load, and would 
    only show the adverts.
    Went on  to purchase a laptop, and all's well on that.
    So, what i am getting at is for what it is worth, is it just the IOS being
    too low, and unable to run CL (not sure what IOS CL is on? )
  • Options
    Have followed the instructions and it appears I'm running 10.3.3 Thanks for the input eastterrace mine is an old iPad but was working fine until 3 weeks ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No problem Bournesnr, my IPad was just too old and wouldn't go
    past 9.5.3, and as you, just all of a sudden only adverts, so it may
    be time to upgrade, you are not too far above where i was.
    Maybe AFKA will shine a light on your problem :)
  • Options
    Seeing AFKA post above, looks like CL runs at an IOS of 12.4.9
    and if so, your 10.3.3 is too low, and maybe an upgrade is answer.
    Be interesting to find solution
  • Options
    If I email the mods with a technical question how long before I might get a response?
  • Options
    I’ve sent you an inbox Stig
  • Options
    I use Safari most of the time, but noticed over the last couple of weeks that I can no longer see any Twitter links that have been posted in  thread.

Checked on Google Chrome and no problem there.

Is this now a fact of life or can I do anything to correct it?

Cheers

• Options
    @stonemuse sounds to me like you might have a content blocker (or the changes Apple's made to protect you against data collection) that's affecting the Twitter embeds. Have a look at your Safari preferences.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    @stonemuse sounds to me like you might have a content blocker (or the changes Apple's made to protect you against data collection) that's affecting the Twitter embeds. Have a look at your Safari preferences.
    Cheers mate, will take a look later