Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Drummers

Thought I'd start this rather than derail the guitar thread.

Starting teaching myself a couple of months ago using YouTube (Drumeo mainly with a couple of independent channels). Doing okay with a basic beat, but struggling to use anything other than the snare, high-hat and kick drum. Still made some noticable progress though..

Comments

• Started learning a couple of years back bought an alesiss electric kit. Sadly arthritis in my hands saw that end very enjoyable though, had a few lessons and was getting a beat out of it when it all ended. :(

• edited October 2020
    Thought I'd start this rather than derail the guitar thread.

Starting teaching myself a couple of months ago using YouTube (Drumeo mainly with a couple of independent channels). Doing okay with a basic beat, but struggling to use anything other than the snare, high-hat and kick drum. Still made some noticable progress though..

Anything to get yourself a one on one with Thomas at some point...........honestly, you’re so calculating. 😉😉😉
  • What's the difference between a drummer and a drum machine?

You only have to punch information into a drum machine once.
  • edited October 2020
    I started having lessons with a professional drummer and he insists on using all the kit. Fair enough, he reckons too many drummers just concentrate on the hi-hat, snare and kick drum.

Been doing alright and got all both arms and feet going with the rhythm, until I broke my leg in May and haven't been able to use my left foot on the hi-hat.  Going back this week now it's almost fixed.

Would recommend lessons from somebody, he not only explains it all but gives you the tab/music and exercises combining all the kit.

Like @TCE I bought a second hand Alesis eleconic kit to practice on, but not really the same as a real drum kit, but it works.

• Our drummer often played a three piece. I'm a firm believer it's not what you got, it's what you do with it.
  • That's what she said

;)
  • Get yourself a practice pad, makes a big difference being able to practice in little gaps in your day if you can. I'd also recommend not learning on an electric kit if possible, it doesn't provide that same real bounce you get off proper drum skins and you can develop a much stiffer stick technique if you're not careful
  • Been developing a stiffer stick since I was about 13
  • I knew that comment was on its way and I genuinely looked at my original post before I confirmed it for about a minute thinking 'I could write this a different way to avoid it' and decided not to
  • Been drumming and gigging for years, drum lessons every week, and I could honestly get by with snare, hi-hat, bass drum, one crash and a ride, and a single pedal. But then I can play 16th note triplet doubles and 32nd note doubles on that pedal. It’s like Clyde Stubblefield, the great James Brown drummer, said, ‘I don’t know why Brown put all those toms on the kit, because we never used them.’
  • Sponsored links:

• You don't need anything more than a snare, a hi-hat and a kick drum. 

https://youtu.be/8P-y0mD442I 
  • Nate Smith is a monster drummer. 16 inch bass drum too in that clip.
  • You don't need a lot of things on a drumkit but there's nothing wrong with having them if they work for you and your style. You don't need a china cymbal but they're great when used right. Personally I like playing with a four piece with a double pedal; gives you a bit of flexibility and variety and there's not really any style you can't play with that. After that it's up to you. I find myself a bit mystified by drummers with 15 different toms on a rack because I just don't think I'd ever get round to using half of them but you can just use what works for you.