Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holiday Refund

Has anybody, had any recent experience of getting holiday refunds, we were due to go to Turkey on 15th October for my 50th but due to isolation requirements I can no longer go onthebeach who we booked the holiday with have indicated they will refund the hotel but not the flights as they are still flying we booked it as a package holiday , although the flights are with easyJet is it correct that we won’t get the flight money back ?

Comments

• If you’ve got insurance you should be ok. Only if Turkey has been put “on the list” by the government.
  • A few items on the attached refer specifically to On The Beach bookings. In summary, OTB are taking an "alternative" position in regards to your protection under the Package Travel Regulations. 

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/89302/overseas-travel-during-covid-19-pandemic-this-summer#latest

• As well as, government restrictions, Easyjet have said they will repay those with cancelled flights (I don't think they have any choice). If you were going from Southend or Newcastle you'll probably be alright. As far as I understand it though their Gatwick and Stansted schedules are still operating so it may prove trickier.

That said I've been waiting a month now on my cancelled flight.  I keep wondering whether or not I'll see the money before they go bust.
  • My undretanding is if the Gov say you cannot fly to your destination of choice you get your money back, if you choose not to go you lose your money. The Gov are saying you can go to Turkey but have to isolate when you get back so its your choice. 
  • My undretanding is if the Gov say you cannot fly to your destination of choice you get your money back, if you choose not to go you lose your money. The Gov are saying you can go to Turkey but have to isolate when you get back so its your choice. 
    FCO advice is against all but essential travel to Turkey. Therefore, if a package has been bought, the holiday will be cancelled by the holiday provider and a full refund provided. However, as some have found, some travel suppliers (On The Beach and Love Holidays) are challenging the principle. 
    FCO advice is against all but essential travel to Turkey. Therefore, if a package has been bought, the holiday will be cancelled by the holiday provider and a full refund provided. However, as some have found, some travel suppliers (On The Beach and Love Holidays) are challenging the principle. 
    Happy to be corrected then, thank you for the update as I was not aware of that. My neigbours have just returned from 2 weeks in Turkey as has a business associate and I was under the impression holiday makers were still free to come and go providing they isolate when they return.
  • edited October 2020
    My undretanding is if the Gov say you cannot fly to your destination of choice you get your money back, if you choose not to go you lose your money. The Gov are saying you can go to Turkey but have to isolate when you get back so its your choice. 
    Happy to be corrected then, thank you for the update as I was not aware of that. My neigbours have just returned from 2 weeks in Turkey as has a business associate and I was under the impression holiday makers were still free to come and go providing they isolate when they return.
    In fairness, Turkey only came off the "exemption list" on Thursday, so a pretty recent change...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/01/england-to-remove-turkey-and-poland-from-travel-corridor-list

(right wing newspaper coverage also available).
  • No, Turkey now on the 'all but essential travel' list. Some people may still travel but will not be covered by their standard travel insurance. You can purchase special travel insurance from certain companies to destinations on the FCO ''all nut essential travel' destinations but won't cover you for anything covid related. The only option, that some people seem to to turn to ridiculously is Go Fund Me if it all goes wrong