Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crayford dogs

13»

Comments

• Used to take our two children when they were little to the Saturday morning meeting at Crayford - they loved it - my son’s strategy was to bet on the first dog to have a poo in the pre race parade !!!
    Knew nothing about dogs and was there for the social event so my bets were usually 1-4-6 trio all ways, 2 quid single on the first dog to dump and fiver on the five dog in the last. 

You might think that is a rubbish way to gamble and you would be right !!

But the odd time 1-4-6 came in with two outsiders used to mean a good night was had by all. 
  • New stadium when we leave the Valley 😁
    Old news ... 🙄
  • For every 100 people being entertained by something there’s always a miserable, moany, anti piece of dross.
  • Speculation for entertainment and profit. Modern day slavery.
    Race-goers have a choice. The dogs do not.
    Am looking forward to greyhound racing's demise.
    Oh do shut up - the dogs love it - go to a race meeting and witness how much they love it when in the traps waiting for the hare - no animals get hurt - completely harmless
    Oh do shut up - the dogs love it - go to a race meeting and witness how much they love it when in the traps waiting for the hare - no animals get hurt - completely harmless
    The issue is mainly what happens when the dogs are retired.
  • Anna_Kissed, I'm sure you could be persuaded on the free entry dates.

We have 6 Race Meetings a week (over 4 Days). Entry is payable at the turnstile on Tuesday evenings and Saturday evenings, there’s no need to pre book. Our morning matinee meetings on Tuesday & Saturday are free entry so you can turn up at any time. You can also join us for free entry on Thursday & Friday afternoons.
  • iainment said:
    Speculation for entertainment and profit. Modern day slavery.
    You will find that Greyhounds - of all dogs for rehoming - are the most ‘rescued’ of any breed these days - very popular breed
  • Haven’t been there since the Speedway stopped. Crayford Kestrels were a decent team. Barry Thomas, Laurie Etheridge, Paul Bosley etc. 
    Had a cassette recording of The meeting between Crayford Kestrels and Rye House in 1982. No commentary, just noise for 90 mins. Many a great evening listening to it, alongside my Castles and Kings and Deltic LPs. I sure knew how to attract the ladies :-)
  • Went there with @Ollywozere once. The boring so and so won about £14 on the first race and then retired undefeated. 

• Sponsored links:

• @KillersBeard used to work there back in the day.

Had many a great night there when I worked at Homebase.
    Yes, worked there as a second job, back in the nineties, for about 10 years as kennels security and bar cover.

Also went for pleasure occasionally but officially wasn't allowed to bet. Not that I knew anything about racing any way and if I could afford to bet, I wouldn't have needed to bloody work there. 😂

Haven't been back for ages, which I should remedy when allowed. 

• Haven’t been there since the Speedway stopped. Crayford Kestrels were a decent team. Barry Thomas, Laurie Etheridge, Paul Bosley etc. 
    Had a cassette recording of The meeting between Crayford Kestrels and Rye House in 1982. No commentary, just noise for 90 mins. Many a great evening listening to it, alongside my Castles and Kings and Deltic LPs. I sure knew how to attract the ladies :-)
    Steve Naylor was one of 10 year old me’s favourite sportsman 
  • LouisMend said:
    Went there with @Ollywozere once. The boring so and so won about £14 on the first race and then retired undefeated. 

It was about £30 and I stand by my decision
  • iainment said:
    Speculation for entertainment and profit. Modern day slavery.
    You will find that Greyhounds - of all dogs for rehoming - are the most ‘rescued’ of any breed these days - very popular breed
    Which is fantastic for those rehomed . The issue is about the others.
  • @KillersBeard used to work there back in the day.

Had many a great night there when I worked at Homebase.
    Yes, worked there as a second job, back in the nineties, for about 10 years as kennels security and bar cover.
    Kennels security?

In case any of the competitors started giving it lemon?  

Tools of the trade included a stick and a squeaky toy?
    I am not sure I follow the "dogs do not" line? 

Are you saying, given the choice, that dogs would not like to run fast?  I have never owned a dog but it seems to be their favourite pastime in the parks I go to. 

Maybe if given the choice they would prefer to go shopping or play Fortnite?

• Crayford was the first UK track to have contract trainers. 
    Not a lot of people know that. Lol

• edited October 2020
    limeygent said:
    Not a patch on the old stadium, used to love going to the Banger Racing there (and Speedway)
    My old man used to take me to the banger racing, like you I used to love it.

Would probably cringe if I watched it now and saw all those classics being trashed.
    But then it's only the passage of time which turns Austin Cambridges and Ford Zodiacs from being old heaps to classic cars

I imagine modern day banger racing would have Mondeos, Passats and 3 series which in 20 years times will be seen as treasured classics!
    Remember when it was always MG Magnettes getting trashed on those tracks. I would cringe.
    Imagine how much they'd have been worth now if they'd have been kept and restored rather than raced!
    If I don’t like it, no one must like it. 
  • Welcome to Crayford. 
  • Sponsored links: