Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ged Roddy MBE appointed as Technical Director - resigned (p26)

Comments

• Options

In addition, the club can confirm that Ged Roddy has resigned from his role as Technical Director.

Thomas Sandgaard said: “Ged has done a lot of important work during his time at the club and while we wish him the best for the future, I’m sure we’ll still see him around a lot as he’ll be helping us on upcoming projects.”

Roddy said: “I’ve had a brilliant time at Charlton, I’ve loved working with the staff, the players, Thomas and getting to know the fans, who are such an important part of this club. Charlton had been hollowed out before Thomas’ takeover and we’ve been able to build in a lot of infrastructure which was required.

“The club is in an exciting place with Johnnie in charge doing an excellent job and the great work Karen Hills and her team are doing. 

“I’ll still be able to support in various capacities and I look forward to seeing the club continue to progress.”

• Options
    Gone. Good. Waste of wages. Anyone that devices EPPP is not a good fit for our club 
  • Options
    Hopefully Thomas is only paying his son 2-bob for the role then….
  • Options
    Classic case of being taken in by an overinflated CV.
    I've no doubt Roddy approached TS and not the other way round. Seemed like a nice enough chap but any sort of experience in bringing success to a run of the mill league one football club were non existent.

A weaker owner might have been taken in for a couple more seasons yet.
    Agree with the last sentence. 
  • Options
    I could never figure out what he contributed to Charlton.
    Being on the recruitment committee I suspected he just gummed up the processing and diluted the focus.
    Glad he's gone.

• Options
    I think Adkins was promoted to the club by Ged and we all know that didn’t go to plan.  I suspect this reflected poorly on Ged

he’s still got to help us finalise the Cat 1 academy status so will be around for a while yet
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Classic case of being taken in by an overinflated CV.
    I've no doubt Roddy approached TS and not the other way round. Seemed like a nice enough chap but any sort of experience in bringing success to a run of the mill league one football club were non existent.

A weaker owner might have been taken in for a couple more seasons yet.
    Run of the mill league one club?  That'll be Lincoln, Burton and Wycombe.  That's a bit rude, we're good on paper but shit on grass, we're a top half Championship club with minor Internationals and loaded  with shit league two donkeys
  • Options
    Jackson 3 Roddy 0. 
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Be interesting to see if his son is on the retained or released list at the end of the season.
    He appears to have disappeared over the last three months as has Sam Oguntayu, the other U23s left back.

Not sure if either are injured or have left the club
  • Options
    Roddy is injured
  • Options
    Could the marginalisation of Roddy's role explain the delay in JJ's deal. There were some quotes alluding to wanting to get the club how he needed it. If so, JJ is a very shrewd man and I think the good times await. It isn't to say that Roddy's ideas would all be rubbish, but you can't have more than one person steering the playing side of the car. And that person should be the manager.
    Yes but Roddy has been replaced by Sandgaard Jnr. Let’s see how that goes before we assume JJ has negotiated total control. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Valley11 said:
    Could the marginalisation of Roddy's role explain the delay in JJ's deal. There were some quotes alluding to wanting to get the club how he needed it. If so, JJ is a very shrewd man and I think the good times await. It isn't to say that Roddy's ideas would all be rubbish, but you can't have more than one person steering the playing side of the car. And that person should be the manager.
    Yes but Roddy has been replaced by Sandgaard Jnr. Let’s see how that goes before we assume JJ has negotiated total control. 
    Good point although you would want ultimate control if you are the owner. That is reasonable. It will probably come down to whether Sandgaard Jr supports JJ or fights him. In the first option you don't really want a really knowledgeable football man who may have completely different ideas to the manager.
  • Options
    Don't see it being quite the black and white scenario of the above options.

Martin Sandgaard won't be "fighting JJ" or opposing him though if it's above the budget then will the Steve Gallen 1 to 5 option still be used ? ( As mentioned by Gallen on CAST Zoom.

Even if Martin ends up a friend of JJ'S ( how can you not ?) I thing Sandgaard junior is there to learn the business at the coal face and witness the day to day, up's and downs of football life. I have no idea of Martin Sandgaard's personality so we can't be certain but I have a good idea of both Johnnie Jackson and Steve Gallen's personality and I sense JJ won't tolerate some of the things SG put up with over the last few years now he has the title of manager.

Steve is an amicable guy but having to answer to a young Belgian guy on a computer must've been difficult to take.

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    I think Martin Sandgaard has been placed at the club to learn the business not as a significant player in the hierarchy. 
    This.

After all, if anything should happen to Thomas, CAFC still needs to carry on. Meanwhile, Martin gets a thorough grounding in the way the club functions, plus he's on hand here.

Some people shout "nepotism" ..... but Martin has shown interest and enthusiasm - and obviously loves his football. A few years ago, he even had a trial at QPR. Right now, he's an analyst analysing players. If Steve Gallen, Jacko and everyone connected with running the playing side can work happily with him, then where's any issue?

• Options
    Agree we should be supportive. I nevertheless expect MS to have a major role in player identification from what TS himself has said. He certainly believes his son knows as much about the game as seasoned pros. 
  • Options
    Let’s make an assumption here. Martin comes in as Thomas’s eyes and ears but also to learn all about the football club from the inside and not just how to run a club but also to be involved and knowledgeable about how to assess and deal with players. That seems to be what I’m seeing. Eventually he takes the ownership reigns from his dad. How many clubs have an owner with those levels of club knowledge, experience and involvement ? Not many. If the Sandgaard ownership turns into a dynasty then having a future owner committed, knowledgeable and a fan sounds like a good thing to me. Like I said a few assumptions but nothing outlandish I don’t think.
    This is how I like to think of it

Hopefully the case
  • Options
    Agree we should be supportive. I nevertheless expect MS to have a major role in player identification from what TS himself has said. He certainly believes his son knows as much about the game as seasoned pros. 
    It’s quite possible that what he believes are says are quite different. Let’s hope so anyway.
  • Options
    It’s quite possible that what he believes are says are quite different. Let’s hope so anyway.
    TS has proven to be a very open person who says what he believes and does what he says he’s going to do. 
  • Options
    TS has proven to be a very open person who says what he believes and does what he says he’s going to do. 
    A man of his word