Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fossdene Primary 1959=1960

Any older fans recognise yourself?

New Article Living in Charlton Village in the 195060s - Page 14   Charlton Life

Comments

• Options
    Which one is you, @ross1 ?

• Options
    Went Fossdene about '84 to '88
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Which one is you, @ross1 ?

None, I went to Charlton Secondary
  • Options
    the teacher  on the left is mr Grebbie , the other gentleman is the headmaster mister Kemp. The boy holding the  shield is Michael  Kelly , the one to his right Is John Peacock. Far right back row is  Peter Gospel
  • Options
    I was there around that time.  This group is probably a bit older than I was though.

Fond memories of Mr Kemp ... spelling tests in the Hall.  High standards though.  At the age of seven, I was awarded a copy of 'The Adventures of Tom Sawyer' for 'good work'.  My usual reading material at the time was the 'Victor' and the 'Beano'.   
  • Options
    That would have been their last year before going off to secondary school  so  10 or 11

• Options
    Love this stuff, not sure why they are holding a golf shield though. 

Brilliant. 
  • Options
    I was six at the start of that season so would probably have got in their way in the playground from time to time.
  • Options
    the problem with that playground is that if the ball went over the wall it either ran  down  victoria way  or the   short  steep road  between the school and johnson and phillips   electrical workshops
  • Options
    conleylad said:
    the problem with that playground is that if the ball went over the wall it either ran  down  victoria way  or the   short  steep road  between the school and johnson and phillips   electrical workshops
    That wall was massive.  I don't think many of us could clear it at such a young age.

On the other hand, putting the ball into the toilet block was ... well, as easy as piss, I suppose.

A couple of teacher's names from that time came back to me.  Mrs Silcock.  Miss Redditch.  Mrs Fletcher in the Infants, of course.

And kids ... Jennifer Page (ahhh!).

I once played a King in the nativity play ... Balthazar ... and have a vivid memory of having to be 'blacked up' (and subsequently scrubbed clean in the school sink) by one of the teachers.

Tell that to the young people today, and they won't believe you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hope you've apologised for your blackface moment?
  • Options
     i  should have  clarified Mr Brader, the school keeper , kept the  playground open  during the  holidays and we played cricket  witha tennis ball and a  wicket chalked on that  northern wall and sometimes the ball did  go over  that massive wall . It was also possible to catch someone out one hand off te wall i.e  if they  hit it on to the main school building , you could catch it with one hand  before it hit the ground  and they were out .  Problem was the bat  belonged to Peter who live in Victoria way and if he  was out , he took his bat home .  By the way it was J and P ( rubber side ) not electric.  Sorry
  • Options
    When I was there, the front playground, with school keepers house was for infants and the back playground  that went under the school was the primary school playground
  • Options
    Hi. If you look on the site where you pinched this picture I did make an attempt to identify some of the footballers. Michael Kelly holding the shield, to his left John Peacock. Behind John, ?Alan Grindley. Bottom row under Mr Kemp Richard Whaley? I recognise faces of the others but cannot recall their names.
  • Options
    They clearly didn't teach maths at Fossdene back in those days. Look at the thread title "1959 = 1960".
  • Options
    I wangled a job as a playcentre assistant after I left school (1966) and was allocated to Fossdene where I spent 6 weeks doing nothing but playing football and table tennis with the kids.  Got paid handsomely for such a stressful job.
  • Options
    My dad started at Fossdene in 1959/60. I have showed him the photo but the age group is above him.

he remembers playing in a match against another local school and winning 22-0. Anyone else remember that match
  • Options
    My dad started at Fossdene in 1959/60. I have showed him the photo but the age group is above him.

he remembers playing in a match against another local school and winning 22-0. Anyone else remember that match
    Watson and Pratley might mate, pm them. 
  • Options

Watson and Pratley might mate, pm them. 
    It would have been around 1958, they both would have been at secondary school
  • Options
    Just had a look at the school on street view - it’s bloody enormous for a primary school !!!

A totally different beast to the leafy primary I went to in semi rural Longfield in Kent in the 70’s
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    tubby said:
    Hi. If you look on the site where you pinched this picture I did make an attempt to identify some of the footballers. Michael Kelly holding the shield, to his left John Peacock. Behind John, ?Alan Grindley. Bottom row under Mr Kemp Richard Whaley? I recognise faces of the others but cannot recall their names.
    Which site is that?
  • Options

I left in 1964. What is your dad's name? He would probably have been involved in the matches that took place each playtime in the playground. We played with a tennis ball or a similar sized rubber ball. One goal was the wall underneath the nursery window and the other one was the last and next to last pillars of the shed. If nobody had a ball the whole playtime was spent in misery! I don't think we got near 22 when I was there.