Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ian Maatsen - following progress, Champions League finalist with Borussia Dortmund(p10)

Comments

• Options
    Thought he showed he had loads of talent but was incredibly raw and never really had a set position, remember him scoring from the right wing Vs Donny under Adkins. 2 years development in the Championship and he's looking a proper proper player. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    But we feel so much more solid with Ben Purrington
    We were more solid, his defensive positioning was suspect. But he was a completely inexperienced 18 year old at the time who clearly had talent with a far higher ceiling and was stronger going forward. 

He’s since played 2 full seasons of championship football under two excellent managers and is really looking the part. He’ll be playing premier league football with them next season.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    But we feel so much more solid with Ben Purrington
    Maybe it shows Purrington was a bit better than he’s given credit for….
  • Options
    Sensible progression in his loan spells. L1, mid table Championship, top Championship side
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I remember that period where we supposedly more solid with Purrington at the back... It was the same time as DJ Campbell rinsed him and Purrington got sent off for two yellows  ;)
  • Options
    Ian Ruud Van Maatsen was raw talent but was a weak defender when just 18 and his ability was always going to be as an attacking LEFT sided attacking wing back or left sided midfielder.

Lee Tinker Man Bowyer played him for a few games as a RIGHT sided forward but he wasn't a Mahrez inverse wide player and despite scoring early doors he couldn't attack on the outside and his pace was negated. He looked lost. 
    Burnley have given him a chance to progress with a talented Championship side under Vincent Kompany.
  • Options
    Ian Ruud Van Maatsen was raw talent but was a weak defender when just 18 and his ability was always going to be as an attacking LEFT sided attacking wing back or left sided midfielder.

Lee Tinker Man Bowyer played him for a few games as a RIGHT sided forward but he wasn't a Mahrez inverse wide player and despite scoring early doors he couldn't attack on the outside and his pace was negated. He looked lost. 
    Burnley have given him a chance to progress with a talented Championship side under Vincent Kompany.
    Adkins, not Bowyer.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:

Adkins, not Bowyer.

Ian Maatsen joined Cafc on loan 13/10 /20
    Bowyer left on 25/3/21

Maatsen played under both Bowyer and Adkins.
  • Options
    I don't quite remember Bowyer using him as a right forward. Maybe in midfield once. Might be wrong!
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I don't quite remember Bowyer using him as a right forward. Maybe in midfield once. Might be wrong!
    Goal at Doncaster come to mind? Or was it Rotherham. One of them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:

Bowyer used Maatsen on the Right.
    Impossible to remember if we played just one up front so call Maatsen a right sided midfield player but he found himself in very advanced forward positions.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I remember that. Bowyer used to play strikers at right wing back, right backs at left back and left backs at right wing. He was off his bloody rocker
  • Options
    He's only 20. Feel like he's been around for years 
  • Options

Interestingly Kompany has recently used Maatsen as a LB who moves inside to form a back three.

• Options
    Cheers Shoham, it's good to see how his career is progressing. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
  • Options

• Options
    Who did we have back then? I genuinely can't remember 
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would have been the Bowyer into Adkins Season so the likes of Maddison, Gunter,Watson. Only bright sparks were Maatsen and Liam Millar really 
  • Options
    People that age were Gunter, Pratley, Pearce, Shinnie, Watson, Washington, Schwartz and Amos.

Pratley and Pearce are regarded as good pros, Schwartz wouldn't have been a bully judging by the fact he was new and in a new country, so you can probably guess who the culprits were
  • Options
    Probably Gunter or Watson 
  • Options
    nagAddick said:
    Probably Gunter or Watson 
    And here was me thinking that that I didn't think it was possible for me to like either of those players any less...
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    In the right age-bracket: 

Gunter, Matthews, Amos, Pratley, Shinnie, Watson, Schwartz. 

Jackson also would have been very chummy with some of those players above and on the coaching staff. 
  • Options

Chelsea 5-0 Wrexham: Ian Maatsen scores two as young side win convincingly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66254070
  • Options
    clive said:

Chelsea 5-0 Wrexham: Ian Maatsen scores two as young side win convincingly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66254070
    I thought he moved to Burnley on a perm deal. Surprised they havn't bought him yet. Will be interesting to see what happens with him.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    mendonca said:
    Goal at Doncaster come to mind? Or was it Rotherham. One of them
    Donny.

• Options
    Good to see Maatsen doing well and being named in the Championship Team of the Year last season.

A reminder to us not to expect too much too soon from the latest crop of very promising Academy players who are emerging into the first team squad. Leaburn, Ness, Campbell and Maynard-Brewer are already four of our best players and, hopefully, Mitchell, Anderson, Asiimwe, Henry, Rylah and Kanu can begin to establish themselves in men’s football this season.