Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Rashford launches petition to urge immediate Government action on child poverty

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2020
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54642788

I agree with a lot of what The Princess says. However these are exceptional times when children of 'hard working families' as well as the wasteful and feckless might well need extra help, especially if both parents are at work during school holidays. Free meals for children under (say) 15/16 should be provided until the pandemic eases or a vaccine is developed.
    The Cameron government was in favour of some free meals for children, whatever happened to that policy ?

EDIT .. The answer to the 'Cameron question' .. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/government-quietly-ends-free-school-meal-grants-nearly-3-000-primary-schools-a6862386.html
  • Options
    I'm fairly sure Infant children, so up to and including year two get free school meals.
  • Options
    Christ, even nigel farage making a good point on that link @Lincsaddick !

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Christ, even nigel farage making a good point on that link @Lincsaddick !

Farage was against the EU, he was never, so far as I know, in favour of starving British children to death. And btw, I voted Brexit
  • Options

#endchildfoodpoverty is not about children going hungry during the school holidays, this is about children going hungry full stop. Let’s not loose sight of the bigger picture here. There are at least 1.5million children we are not reaching with the free school meal scheme... (1)
  • Options
    edited October 2020
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henske said:
    A Tory MP has quit her government job after voting for a Labour motion to offer free school meals during holidays until Easter 2021.

Caroline Ansell said vouchers were not a long-term solution - but they helped families struggling with the pandemic.

Explaining her decision, she said: "In these unprecedented times I am very concerned to be doing all we can to help lower income families and their children who are really struggling due to the impact of the virus."

She said that food vouchers were "not perfect" arguing that it is better to link meals to activities so children "can also benefit from extra-curricular learning and experience".

However. she added that vouchers could help families in her Eastbourne constituency who were struggling as a result of the pandemic. 

The government's stance has also been criticised by Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage, who tweeted: "If the government can subsidise Eat Out to Help Out, not being seen to give poor kids lunch in the school holidays looks mean and is wrong." BBC News

You can see the full story in the BBC news item quoted at the top of the page
  • Options
    The Government spent £400 million on the "eat out to help out" scheme. How much would paying for free meals cost for starving children cost? £10m? £20m?

One thing that can be guaranteed is that more people will have contracted Covid as a result of the "eat out to help out scheme". Though more children will go hungry without the free meals. 
    The “eat out to help out” scheme was the biggest piece of nonsense ever. 
  • Options
    I don't know much about the Universal Credit system, but if the money is paid by that method, there is nothing to stop feckless parents from spending it on something else. I think that vouchers can only be spent on food, is that correct, does anyone know?

• Options
    edited October 2020
    The Government spent £400 million on the "eat out to help out" scheme. How much would paying for free meals cost for starving children cost? £10m? £20m?

One thing that can be guaranteed is that more people will have contracted Covid as a result of the "eat out to help out scheme". Though more children will go hungry without the free meals. 
    I thought the idea of the EOTHO scheme was to assist the hospitality industry. Considering that employs millions of waiting staff, chefs, kitchen porters, cleaners etc all on low income, they will have quite a struggle feeding their kids without a job. 

The way things are going at the moment it’ll cost a lot more than £20m to put food on the table across the country for everybody.

That said, I am in full support of children in need being feed 365 days a year whatever the means.
  • Options
    I don't know much about the Universal Credit system, but if the money is paid by that method, there is nothing to stop feckless parents from spending it on something else. I think that vouchers can only be spent on food, is that correct, does anyone know?

There was talk of people selling vouchers. I assume that this is either a very small minority or just nonsense.

• Options

I thought the idea of the EOTHO scheme was to assist the hospitality industry. Considering that employs millions of waiting staff, chefs, kitchen porters, cleaners etc all on low income, they will have quite a struggle feeding their kids without a job. 

The way things are going at the moment it’ll cost a lot more than £20m to put food on the table across the country for everybody.

That said, I am in full support of children in need being feed 365 days a year whatever the means.
    I think the EOHO scheme actually only operated for 13 days. And cost about half a million pounds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc999 said:

There was talk of people selling vouchers. I assume that this is either a very small minority or just nonsense.

UC you have to supply proof of any rental agreement you have in place plus thorough checks on child care. You also speak with a case manager. However you are given an allowance amount on top of that. There are no checks on your bills/credit agreements with previous lenders etc. ‘Feckless parents’ will abuse anything, that’s why their feckless. I’d imagine the majority of normal people use it as it’s intended. There is very little margin for error with UC payment if used correctly. It’s not a spend at will allowance.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    se9addick said:

I think the EOHO scheme actually only operated for 13 days. And cost about half a million pounds.
    Million or Billion?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

?
    Sorry - half a billion pounds!
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Half a billion not half a million and it ran from the 3rd to 31st August
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    se9addick said:

But only Monday to Wednesday. 

I do know that it kept many business alive, kept many people in jobs and allowed people the get out after a lockdown (the last one only a good idea if social distancing rules followed).

Could the government have just given restaurants a further grant? Considering how many restaurants and pubs there are, then 500m wouldn’t have gone far. Plus would that money have filtered down to staffing level? 

Anyway, this isn’t the thread for EOTHO.

• Options
    se9addick said:

But only Monday to Wednesday 
    Good point. At least if the Government fed the starving children from Monday to Wednesday they might only be starving for half the week!
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

UC you have to supply proof of any rental agreement you have in place plus thorough checks on child care. You also speak with a case manager. However you are given an allowance amount on top of that. There are no checks on your bills/credit agreements with previous lenders etc. ‘Feckless parents’ will abuse anything, that’s why their feckless. I’d imagine the majority of normal people use it as it’s intended. There is very little margin for error with UC payment if used correctly. It’s not a spend at will allowance.
    Fully understand and know that. The point I was making is that no matter what system is put in place some people will abuse it. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

The “eat out to help out” scheme was the biggest piece of nonsense ever. 
    What makes you say that? Quite a few small eating places survived and managed to keep staff employed because of that?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    One issue with providing free food to the most disadvantaged kids is actually getting them to eat it. My kids go to a school that has a huge amount of social issues/poverty but until Covid struck they provided excellent nutritious meals cooked on site. My daughter told me time and again that most of the food went uneaten unless it was Friday's fish/nuggets and chips as that was the only kind of food most of her peers would touch. The irony of children most in need of nutrition refusing everything bar the least nutritious food is depressing on so many levels.