Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eddie Firmani

I was really disappointed when Eddie Firmani left us in 1965. But I was really happy when he rejoined us in 1967. 

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2020
    dickplumb said:
    I was really disappointed when Eddie Firmani left us in 1965. But I was really happy when he rejoined us in 1967. 
    He left us to join Sampdoria in 1955.....not 1965.🤤🤤🤤
  • Options
    I was unaware of him leaving or rejoining when he did, only being a wee slip of a lad.  I was pleased though when he was name checked in the film Buster.
  • Options
    We sold him to Sampdoria. 
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    He left us to join Turin in 1955.....not 1965.🤤🤤🤤
    I am talking about the second time, I wasn't a Charlton supporter in 1955. I was only one.
  • Options
    I invited @SoundAsa£ to have dinner with Eddie but when I ask a small favour, like some old Who stuff for the museum, he snubs me

: - )
  • Options
    Saw him score his last goal for Charlton against Birmingham City last game of 66/67 season. His last apprentice for Charlton was against Preston North End first home game of 67/68 . 
    He would then become acting manager against Aston Villia at home following the sacking of Bob Stokoe afew days earlier.
    The Villa game, Eddie's first as manager, was my first Charlton match. Won 3-0.
  • Options
    Eddie was my first real hero. A real class act. Actually met him at a Charlton Legends evening at the Valley some years ago. A true gentleman.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great player Eddie him and Stuart Leary together were excellent
  • Options
    Absolutely a real top player and a great favourite of mine .
  • Options
    I seem to remember that as manager, Firmani banned swearing in the dressing room.
  • Options
    A magnificent player and I did not even have the privilege of seeing him in his first spell.
    I think his record still stands, over one hundred goals in each of the UK and Italy. In this day and age a player of his ability would never be transferred to a lower division. It was ridiculous that Gliksten even wanted to sell him in the first place.
    A bit of fantasy football here; a pairing of Firmani with Hales or Mendonca that would have been special. Not now though, in saying that..........
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited February 2023
    I'm another one who virtually idolised Eddie in his second playing and his managerial spell with us  .. he had two good (one very nearly a promotion) followed by one very bad season as our manager, following which he was sacked .. I suspect that the very strict Italian style regime he tried to impose on a pretty 'English' bunch of players brought about his downfall .. absolutely masterful footballer and a proper gent
    Yep. I remember that. I think his managerial downfall started the season he insisted the players started calling him Mr Firmani. It went to his head a bit after nearly getting promotion the previous season. Should have left it as it was. A shame at the time. He was a Charlton legend. 
  • Options
    Like  many I idolised Eddie Firmani on his return in the 60's.
    He scored 2 goals in his first game away to Man City.
    Then, his first home game he scored at the Jimmy Seed end, a  blistering  shot.
    Although Mike Bailey was my top favourite player of that Era.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Eddie's sale in the mid 50's was the main reason the club was relegated a year later. The end of Jimmy Seed and the top flight era. £35k received and only about 4k spent on his replacement. The Gliksten family taking the money out of the club.
  • Options
    Gliksten out!
  • Options
    I would speculate that Eddie would have been influenced by a completely different culture of discipline and professionalism he experienced in Italy.
    Our game back then was still rife with a drinking culture and that was certainly true of the Charlton side of that era.
    Think that was a lot of the problem, I think Souness ran into the same problem at Liverpool 25 years later. He was manager when I first went, never saw him play but everyone who did rated him very highly. 
  • Options
    Fair to say that Firmani is a proper Charlton legend.
  • Options
    Eddie and Stuart Leary came over on the boat together as 17 year olds but at 18 they got called up for National Service and both joined the RAF.