Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spot the (Ex) Charlton Players (New Game)

West Brom     vs Burnley
Grant                 Pope
                          Gudmundsson
                          Stephens (Sub)

4 Players,

England recent friendly match against Wales 
Pope                                       Williams 
Gomez                                    Levitt
                                               Smith ,on bench
                                               Gunter 

6 Players must a record for an International

I hope the new regime will stop selling our best Players.

Over the last several weeks ,while watching football matches, I point out  to my wife ,all the ex players that are now playing for different teams.

Now she winds me up, and says they all played for Charlton

Up the Addicks

Comments

• West Brom 2 players Grant & Gallagher
  • How much would it now cost to buy back Pope, Gomez, Lookman, Grant etc ....
  • Pope = £50m | Gomez = £80m | Lookman = £5m | Grant = £15m

Is what I reckon they'd each go for now

Your valuations may be right I haven’t a clue .

I think Lookman is cheap and I’d buy him at twice the price,    Grant is fair value and as for Pope and Gomez I wouldn’t pay half that for either of them , which doesn’t mean someone wouldn’t pay more for them in today’s crazy prices .

Your valuations may be right I haven’t a clue .

I think Lookman is cheap and I’d buy him at twice the price,    Grant is fair value and as for Pope and Gomez I wouldn’t pay half that for either of them , which doesn’t mean someone wouldn’t pay more for them in today’s crazy prices .
    I was guessing myself to be honest... Grant I valued him at what West Brom have just paid, I swear I remember seeing that Burnley wanted about £50m for Pope if he'd left in the summer; Gomez I've maybe over valued but seeing thats what Man Utd paid for Maguire I thought sod it... Lookman I undervalued as it might be a case that Leipzig will let him go for less if they want him off their books
  • Pope = £20m | Gomez = £70m | Lookman = £15m | Grant = £15m

My guestimates.
  • mendonca said:
    Pope = £20m | Gomez = £70m | Lookman = £15m | Grant = £15m

My guestimates.
    About right imo. 
  • I take positives from this - it's proof that our academy is amongst the best in the land. With our new owner maybe we can see more of them in a Charlton shirt for longer, and get a fair price when they do inevitably move on.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    I take positives from this - it's proof that our academy is amongst the best in the land. With our new owner maybe we can see more of them in a Charlton shirt for longer, and get a fair price when they do inevitably move on.
    Has anyone seen @bobmunro and Richard Murray in the same room? 🤔😉
  • Pope = £30m (Chelsea paid £71m for Kepa, Liverpool paid £65m for Becker and Everton paid £25m for Pickford before he become a full international)

Gomez = £50m (City paid £61m for Dias who is a fixture in the Portuguese side and Gomez' stock has dropped slightly after some indifferent performances back end of last and beginning of this season. Will rise again if he shows he performs well without VVD)

Lookman = £15m (re-building career and has to prove he can do it consistently but Leipzig won't want to take too big a hit on the £22.5m they paid))

Grant = £15m (what WBA paid for him)

Konsa _ £20m (will still only be 23 in a few days time and has been instrumental this season in Villa keeping four clean sheets this season) 

Aribo - £10m (established himself in the SPL)
  • Pope = £30m (Chelsea paid £71m for Kepa, Liverpool paid £65m for Becker and Everton paid £25m for Pickford before he become a full international)

Gomez = £50m (City paid £61m for Dias who is a fixture in the Portuguese side and Gomez' stock has dropped slightly after some indifferent performances back end of last and beginning of this season. Will rise again if he shows he performs well without VVD)

Lookman = £15m (re-building career and has to prove he can do it consistently but Leipzig won't want to take too big a hit on the £22.5m they paid))

Konsa _ £20m (will still only be 23 in a few days time and has been instrumental this season in Villa keeping four clean sheets this season) 

Do many SPL players go for that much money? - I still see Aribo coming back to the Championship before the Premier League
  • edited October 2020
    So £160M according to Addicks Addict whom I make about right.

And we actually got

Pope.          £1M.    (Plus sell on worth £6m if sold for the above)

Gomez.      £3.5M

Lookman   £8M

Grant.         £4M. (inc sell on 20%)

Konsa.       £1.5M

Aribo.        £0

Total £18M (plus Pope sell on).  So somewhere between 10-15% of their value today.

In a couple of years time you can lob in the zero fees for, Abraham, Sarmiento, Kasey Palmer, Taylor and that keeper that passed through (although maybe he was on loan?) who is now playing in Champions League. Plus low fees for Phillips and Gudmundsson and possible Doughty too if he does not resign.

What a miserable load of transfers.  Appreciate we are L1/Championship at time of transfers but we should have been aiming for 30-50%.
  • Players do improve at better clubs as well. If Pope and Gomez had stayed with us, they wouldn't be worth what they are now

Pope for example was decent for us, but never in a million years did I think he was England quality, so some of that has to be because of improvement he's made at Burnley
  • “You realize that our mistrust of the future makes it hard to give up the past.” 

Do many SPL players go for that much money? - I still see Aribo coming back to the Championship before the Premier League
    I must admit that I had Aribo possibly going to a WBA, Burnley even Southampton type of club. Not many do go for big money although Arsenal paid £25m for Tierney from Celtic and given that Aribo played almost 50 games last season I would have thought that Rangers wouldn't let him go for much less than £10m. Even if it were a Championship side, someone like Watford who have just come from the PL and have sold players for almost £50m might be tempted to pay that.
  • edited October 2020
    Players do improve at better clubs as well. If Pope and Gomez had stayed with us, they wouldn't be worth what they are now

Pope for example was decent for us, but never in a million years did I think he was England quality, so some of that has to be because of improvement he's made at Burnley
    I sort of agree - but the stage to perform on is as, if not more, important than improvement. Is Pope a much better goalkeeper now or is it just that he's been given the opportunity to prove he can hack it at the top level. Less so with Joe, playing with the likes of Van Dyke next to you must have improved his game - but the raw material of pace, skill, vision, attitude was already there.

• edited October 2020
    So £160M according to Addicks Addict whom I make about right.

And we actually got

Gomez.      £3.5M

Lookman   £8M

Konsa.       £1.5M

Aribo.        £0

Total £18M (plus Pope sell on).  So somewhere between 10-15% of their value today.

In a couple of years time you can lob in the zero fees for, Abraham, Sarmiento, Kasey Palmer, Taylor and that keeper that passed through (although maybe he was on loan?) who is now playing in Champions League. Plus low fees for Phillips and Gudmundsson and possible Doughty too if he does not resign.

What a miserable load of transfers.  Appreciate we are L1/Championship at time of transfers but we should have been aiming for 30-50%.
    I've LOL your earlier comment not because it's rubbish - far from it - but because when you look at the fees we've got in compared to current value, it's all you can do!

I've long excepted that we will never be able to keep a top quality player these days. But to give them away as we have been doing for the last 10 years is crazy.

Lets hope TS can get a grip on this soon.
  • It is a good game. There is now a team of academy graduates and development squad players employed in the Championship and Premier League.

Pope (Burnley), Randolph (Middlesboro), Phillips (Cardiff)
    Jenkinson (Notts Forest),Djiksteel (Middlesbrough)
    Fox (Stoke)
    Konsa (Aston Villa), Ajayi (West Brom)
    Gomez ( Liverpool)
    Cousins (Stoke)
    Arter (Notts Forest)
    Shelvey (Newcastle)
    Lookman (Fulham)
    Grant (West Brom
    Defoe (Glasgow)

Hamer (Huddersfield) Henderson (Palace) Button (West Brom)
    Lockyer (Luton)
    Morrison (Reading)
    Bauer (Preston)
    Sarr (Huddersfield)
    Stevenson (Watford)
    Gudmundson (Burnley)
    Stephens (Burnley)
    Aribo ( Glasgow)
    Taylor (Notts Forest ), M.Smith (Rotherham)
    Bonne (QPR)

I defer to others on the valuations but 21 of 29 departures were under Duchatelet and ESI. I include Bonne and Phillips who were effectively sold to the inherited situation.

Just 8 pre date their involvement.

The list excludes the likes of Kermorgant, Elliott, who have retired or are unattached

Mr Jackson, I believe, will have been in the building for 23/ 24 of those transactions.

• Sponsored links:

• So £160M according to Addicks Addict whom I make about right.

And we actually got

Gomez.      £3.5M

Lookman   £8M

Konsa.       £1.5M

Aribo.        £0

Did we really get £4m from Udders for Grant?  I thought it was £2m!
  • Out of pure boredom I made a separate Fantasy Premier League team using our ex-players, lineup is as follows:

Pope
                               Gomez - Konsa - Ajayi
    Gallagher - Gudmunson - Shelvey - Stephens - Lookman 
                                        Grant - Kane 

Subs : Randolph - Werner - TAA - Robertson

appreciate there's a few non Charlton faces in there but i couldn't fill the squad, annoyingly I can't have field in as there are already 3 west brom players too..lets see how we get on this season
  • edited October 2020
    It is a good game. There is now a team of academy graduates and development squad players employed in the Championship and Premier League.

Fox (Stoke)
    Gomez ( Liverpool)
    Cousins (Stoke)
    Arter (Notts Forest)
    Shelvey (Newcastle)
    Lookman (Fulham)
    Grant (West Brom
    Defoe (Glasgow)

Lockyer (Luton)
    Morrison (Reading)
    Bauer (Preston)
    Sarr (Huddersfield)
    Stevenson (Watford)
    Gudmundson (Burnley)
    Stephens (Burnley)
    Aribo ( Glasgow)
    Bonne (QPR)

I defer to others on the valuations but 21 of 29 departures were under Duchatelet and ESI. I include Bonne and Phillips who were effectively sold to the inherited situation.

The list excludes the likes of Kermorgant, Elliott, who have retired or are unattached

Mr Jackson, I believe, will have been in the building for 23/ 24 of those transactions.

Neil Etheridge (Birmingham) would make former keeper number seven (eight if you do include Elliott) to have played for us 
  • It is a good game. There is now a team of academy graduates and development squad players employed in the Championship and Premier League.

Fox (Stoke)
    Gomez ( Liverpool)
    Cousins (Stoke)
    Arter (Notts Forest)
    Shelvey (Newcastle)
    Lookman (Fulham)
    Grant (West Brom
    Defoe (Glasgow)

Lockyer (Luton)
    Morrison (Reading)
    Bauer (Preston)
    Sarr (Huddersfield)
    Stevenson (Watford)
    Gudmundson (Burnley)
    Stephens (Burnley)
    Aribo ( Glasgow)
    Bonne (QPR)

Grim

I wouldn't include Bonne as a Roland/ESI sale though, that was Bowyer's choice as the player was under contract for another 2 years, and we didn't need the money. Ditto Stevenson, who we could have kept on

Stephens and Hamer are both the fault of the Spivs for letting their contracts run down.  Henderson is only in the PL as a non playing 3rd keeper, I wouldn't pick him over Amos

Where we've been terrible is managing contracts and getting good fees, as all non PL sides lose lots of players. Sheffield United produced and sold Kyle Walker, Maguire and Calvert-Lewin. They got £2.5m for Maguire and £1.5m for Calvert-Lewin
  • Players do improve at better clubs as well. If Pope and Gomez had stayed with us, they wouldn't be worth what they are now

I’d say it’s the league too though, who’s to say if we had been promoted to PL in recent season that Pope and Gomez wouldn’t still be worth the amounts spoken about today.