Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rating the Ref's

Amazes me how much the scores differ when rating a Ref.

It's important to remember, like players a referee generally isn't going to get every decision right. Human error happens regardless. But because they missed the odd foul doesn't mean a score should go from 7 to a 4.

Big decisions should play a crucial part in scoring. But I feel some refs get underscored based on people not understanding exactly how to rate them or what to look for. 

Comments

• Options
    I agree with this, the last two matches I’ve rated the refs 8 I believe. When I’ve looked back and seen 4’s and 5’s I’ve found it quite bizarre. But then as bobmunro says lots of people will blame the ref regardless.
  • Options
    Yeah, despite the weird offside I thought the Blackpool ref was excellent too
  • Options
    I thought the last two officials were good but I also think we need to take into account not being there and seeing decisions in real time from one angle and with a crowd 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Yeah, despite the weird offside I thought the Blackpool ref was excellent too
    Although you can pin that one squarely on the lino; the ref has to be guided by the flag-waver on offside decisions.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Saw my 15th game in Lower League yesterday (this season) in 8th tier of Pyrimid and the verbal abuse refs and Assistance refs get in Part time football would result in cards in the pro game. 

Keith Stroud and James Linington stand out for their consistent low standard in recent years.
    They were both consistent by giving wrong decisions for and against Cafc !

I was on my soap box telling all and Sundry before the Wimbledon home game two seasons ago about Trevor Two Reds Kettle and his Penchant for the early bath card.
    45 seconds from kick off and Naby goes to ground and upends a Don's player and Kettle the old boiler pulls the red card from his sleeve like magic. Later from memory a Wimbledon player got his marching orders and for the third time in a Charlton match, Kettle produced two reds. Holland's and Waggy at Swindon and two Bolton players at the Valley. 

I had strangers asking for the lottery numbers that afternoon.

• Options
    Kelvin Morton, now there was a ref of integrity...
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

In Palace land, Kelvin Morton was the Referee who awarded 5 penalties in the M23 Derby back in the days of Ian Wright.
    He gave 3 penalties in 5 minutes to Palace and Brighton fans were convinced the man in black came straight out of the Holmsdale Road end. (On the left side as the right side was for away fans in 1989)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc999 said:

In Palace land, Kelvin Morton was the Referee who awarded 5 penalties in the M23 Derby back in the days of Ian Wright.
    He gave 3 penalties in 5 minutes to Palace and Brighton fans were convinced the man in black came straight out of the Holmsdale Road end. (On the left side as the right side was for away fans in 1989)

I believe he sent a few players off and gave 3 or 4 penalties in our match away to Southend a few years back
  • Options
    I think CL should send a letter of commendation to the referee who comes out with the highest mark over a season. Credit where it’s due in my book...
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Despite what I said in my earlier post - Keith Stroud is still a c*nt.
    @bobmunro should copy and paste this post into every thread on this site. 
  • Options
    I think tonight's ref is up there as the worst I've seen for a few seasons (in our games I mean). Tosser
  • Options
    Tbf they do make it easy to mark them down. The refs we have had most of this year so far have been shit 
  • Options
    Woeful tonight, ruined what could've been a good game. Wanker
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

I believe he sent a few players off and gave 3 or 4 penalties in our match away to Southend a few years back
    IIRC, accidentally pulled out his hankie instead of the red card at one point...
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Shocking display, I thought Innis second yellow was harsh but if that was a yellow that foul on Bogle On the edge of the box  was at least the same.  

Also felt he was desperate to book Amos for time wasting. He must be disappointed he didn’t get the chance 

they are there to make the game flow and keep the players safe, not be the centre of attention and ruin the game. 

• Options
    I think tonight's ref is up there as the worst I've seen for a few seasons (in our games I mean). Tosser
    I think that’s unfair on us tossers 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    bobmunro said:
    I feel it's just human nature for most if not all football fans to blame the referee to somehow cover up their own team's shortcomings - I'm as guilty as the next man of that.
    The best referees mostly go unnoticed during the game, they deal with contentious issues calmly and they are constantly talking to the players throughout the game as adult to adult rather than parent to child.
    At the coin toss yesterday the referee was engaging with both captains in a very friendly and open manner, taking the time to set the scene - all three were laughing at times and this went on for some time before the actual coin toss. I had a feeling he would be fine and that's exactly how it panned out.
    There weren't really any big decisions to make yesterday and yes of course the ref may have missed the odd foul or gave free kicks when we all felt it unnecessary - but I don't think many, if at all, were decisions that went in our favour as these are not the ones we criticise refs for (see my first sentence!).

Hmmm. May I reconsider this post?
  • Options
    MattF said:
    The refs fault or the players who spent the whole game committing needless fouls or trying to win needless fouls?
  • Options
    MattF said:
    The refs fault or the players who spent the whole game committing needless fouls or trying to win needless fouls?
    I'm going with the ref, he's supposed to be the man in charge with the whistle, Oxford tested the waters and found out he would blow up for everything
  • Options
    Was very inconsistent. Innis has to go, but you would say he’s unlucky because he committed 2 fouls all game

Their no. 6 Rodriguez shouldn’t have got to half time with the amount of fouls he had. With at least 2 of them yellows them self 
  • Options
    Can’t blame ref if there’s lots of needless fouls which there was last night. But saying that seemed over fussy. Making Oxford re take 2 throw ins because they went backwards for them and free kicks in wrong place took 3 attempts to take one free kick for us.Don’t know how he got foul by Smyth in penalty box at start of second half. Looked like he was trying to please his assessor to me instead of just referring. 
  • Options
    Bloke last night was a complete arse, hardly ever played an advantage and far to fussy.

Bet at school he hardly ever got picked for football so thought he would fuck up everybody’s enjoyment of the game for as many years as he could.
  • Options
    Have added Craig Hicks to the Kelvin Morton/Trevor Kettle roll of contempt
    On last night's fiasco CH is clearly an ego maniac friendless onanist who's never played the game - I'd bet he's only a referee cos he's too chickenshit to exercise his sociopathy as a special constable
  • Options
    Have added Craig Hicks to the Kelvin Morton/Trevor Kettle roll of contempt
    On last night's fiasco CH is clearly an ego maniac friendless onanist who's never played the game - I'd bet he's only a referee cos he's too chickenshit to exercise his sociopathy as a special constable

After seeing your carefully written  reference Mr Thundercock, Craig Hicks has decided to ask someone else.