Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Home Advantage

Is it when playing behind closed doors.

In L1 on Saturday there were 2 home wins, 2 draws and 6 away wins.

It means no crowd pressure on the ref or on a player thought to be playing poorly.Last season LB often praised our fans and said that we helped the team win matches, especially in the final quarter of a game.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Saw some stats a few weeks back which, I believe, stated that there is reduced home advantage with empty stadiums. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    stonemuse said:
    Saw some stats a few weeks back which, I believe, stated that there is reduced home advantage with empty stadiums. 
    https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/07/25/empty-stadiums-have-shrunk-football-teams-home-advantage

• Options
    I have no idea if results this season across  all 4 divisions bear this out but I'm sure "home advantage" when there are no fans in the ground shouldn't really matter. As I mentioned on a previous thread a couple of days ago it probably means more if you are playing to a packed Old Trafford than a soulless empty one. Look at Man U's stats. First time they have not won one of their first 3 home games. Not just because you have the crowd influence (good or bad) but for players surely there is not the same intensity. Would be interested in hearing from players on this. 
  • Options
    Not just the pressure on the ref but things like extra encouragement to get forward, to close down, to chase that last ball.

players are more likely to give up or perhaps not try quite as hard with no crowd to get on their back
  • Options
    And how on earth are they supposed to know they are being closed down without the 15k people shouting “man on”
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Our away form is traditionally pretty shocking, whether it’s pressure from the crowd, travelling or what I don’t know.

Our home form is normally pretty good, whether that will continue with zero crowds cheering the lads on, only time will tell.